The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Nightlife at the University of Hertfordshire?

Does anybody know what the nightlife is like at the University of Hertfordshire? I am aware that there is a club on campus, but apart from that, is there much of a nightlife? Does anyone go to the clubs in St. Albans?
Original post by jakegoodson
Does anybody know what the nightlife is like at the University of Hertfordshire? I am aware that there is a club on campus, but apart from that, is there much of a nightlife? Does anyone go to the clubs in St. Albans?

Hi @jakesgoodson,

Yes we have the Forum nightclub on our College Lane campus - Ed Sheeran, Tinie Tempah, Wstrn, Big Shaq, Tim Westwood and Yungen have all performed here :colondollar:

Yes students often go to St Albans or Watford for a night out, the students' union even put on coaches to different clubs. The uni is close to London, just 20 mins to Kings Cross by train or again the SU will put on transport.

Hope that helps. I'm sure some of our current students will be able to share their experiences!

Thanks,
Heather
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Heya!

@University of Hertfordshire mentioned the clubs...as for other options, I think the most visited pubs and bars are Style Bar (in the Forum building), Elehouse (on campus), and the Harspfield Halls Wetherspoons across from the Galleria. Style Bar's fantastic; it's a got a lovely vibe with plenty of nights offering half-price cocktails. Elehouse is also a great choice, with different kinds of offers on throughout the week, and there's always something happening there--whether it's Open Mike, karaoke, or just everyone gathered there to hang out before a night out in Forum.

There's also some really neat pubs around that aren't on campus. There's two great ones on Bishops Rise, just behind the Uni, as well as three in town centre worth mentioning--two across the train station, and one called The Eight Bells that used to regularly host Charles Dickens. They all have their own distinct vibe and crowd!
Original post by Michelle Bieger
Heya!

@University of Hertfordshire mentioned the clubs...as for other options, I think the most visited pubs and bars are Style Bar (in the Forum building), Elehouse (on campus), and the Harspfield Halls Wetherspoons across from the Galleria. Style Bar's fantastic; it's a got a lovely vibe with plenty of nights offering half-price cocktails. Elehouse is also a great choice, with different kinds of offers on throughout the week, and there's always something happening there--whether it's Open Mike, karaoke, or just everyone gathered there to hang out before a night out in Forum.

There's also some really neat pubs around that aren't on campus. There's two great ones on Bishops Rise, just behind the Uni, as well as three in town centre worth mentioning--two across the train station, and one called The Eight Bells that used to regularly host Charles Dickens. They all have their own distinct vibe and crowd!

:wink: The Elehouse is really good- friendly atmosphere with guest beer ( Doombar at the moment, leave a few drops for me ! ). I am a regular visitor, mostly some Weds.nights and /or Friday/Sat. evenings, depending on my shift pattern.

Incidentally I remember the Elehouse being built , at the time I was working at the UH as a Technical Officer in the former large single story building that housed the Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Systems section of The School of Engineering, before it was demolished to make way for The Forum development. I understand another dedicated eng. block is to be constructed - I was invited to a private party tour of the recently opened science one back last May.

Going out of Hatfield, the Admiral Byng ( Wetherspoons) about five mins walk from Potters Bar Station is pretty good, a lot of the students from The Vet College at Brookman`s Park nearby use it : in St. Albans a regular haunt of mine used to be the Goat in Sopwell Lane, as I knew the landlord at the time and was - I say was as I haven`t visited it for some time now - very popular on the St. Albans pub circuit with UH students .
I used to meet up regularly with some German language students on work experience teaching in secondary schools around Herts., and, digressing slightly leads me on to the ongoing debate on TSR about guns/firearms started by the UH Law School I think it is that I looked at recently : one student in particular, Dirk, still in touch from time to time although now living in Canada, said to me one night " I hate this glib talk about wars & violence- When my father returned from the war, ( WW 2) he never wanted to see a gun again" - the precise words my own late Father, a veteran of North Africa, Tunisia, Sicily Italy & Greece said. I well remember as a small kid my father having flashbacks & nightmares about it all. Called PTSD now, shell -shock then. His own younger brother, a naval officer, survived the war, only to lose his live shortly afterwards in a training exercise.

Back to the pubs: UNO used to have a £9 ticket for four students travelling as one party to St. Albans and back but unfortunately no longer. It might be worth having a look at the Hertfordshire County council Intalink site www.intalink.org.uk / tickets about Hertfordshire day Explorer tickets giving unlimited bus travel @ £17 for up to four people - although the cost may not be so much different to the UNO fares, at least with this you are not limited to just UNO buses but can use the other operators as well ( i.e., the Arriva 300/01, Greenline 724, both of which travel between Hatfield & St. Albans.) There are a few limitations, check out for yourselves on the intalink site.
By the way, Arriva is run by the German Railways- as part of the deal in running trains over here ( DB Schenker, mostly freight and heritage steam specials) they had to take some bus working on. .

Comments welcome.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending