Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I didn’t take psychology for A-level as I failed maths. Although I really want to do a degree in it. Shall I not bother or is that too much stress?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe05899)
    I didn’t take psychology for A-level as I failed maths. Although I really want to do a degree in it. Shall I not bother or is that too much stress?
    what subjects are you doing?often you don't even need psychology a level to do it at uni

ReputationRep:
    Many degrees don’t require it BUT it would be hugely helpful - most people doing the degree will have done it prior as an a level and you may feel like you fall somewhat behind in terms of module topics and understanding. They won’t start from scratch likely so you’ll need to have a mindset that catches on quick, Maths will definitely come in great use but prior knowledge will put you in good standing I’d say
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't have an A level in Psychology though I started it and got a low grade in my AS levels when I was 16 but I'm currently doing a Psychology degree with the OU aged 22 and I'm getting distinction grades. A degree depends on your willingness to learn and work hard, not prior experience/grades. I stated my age because it was only now that I felt like I wanted to do a degree and I felt ready. When I was younger, and especially when I was 16, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and didn't have the determination to work hard! The environment and the teaching just didn't suit me either and I hated dealing with rude teachers whilst studying subjects I wasn't entirely interested in.

My one year of AS levels has helped a little and I know quite a few terminologies etc but the degree covers everything from a basic level and brings you up to speed fast. It's reduced my work load only a tiny fraction - not enough to make a huge difference in all honesty. If you have the opportunity and you're really wanting to do it and work hard, don't let it hold you back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p_s79)
    what subjects are you doing?often you don't even need psychology a level to do it at uni
    I’m doing history, English literature and language and Btec Health and social care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    I don't have an A level in Psychology though I started it and got a low grade in my AS levels when I was 16 but I'm currently doing a Psychology degree with the OU aged 22 and I'm getting distinction grades. A degree depends on your willingness to learn and work hard, not prior experience/grades. I stated my age because it was only now that I felt like I wanted to do a degree and I felt ready. When I was younger, and especially when I was 16, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and didn't have the determination to work hard! The environment and the teaching just didn't suit me either and I hated dealing with rude teachers whilst studying subjects I wasn't entirely interested in.

My one year of AS levels has helped a little and I know quite a few terminologies etc but the degree covers everything from a basic level and brings you up to speed fast. It's reduced my work load only a tiny fraction - not enough to make a huge difference in all honesty. If you have the opportunity and you're really wanting to do it and work hard, don't let it hold you back.
    Yeah I’m not a huge intellectual person and I’m just nervous because all my friends who do A-level Psychology hate it so I don’t want to get to uni and really struggle to keep up as I’m obviously at a disadvantage
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah I’m not a huge intellectual person and I’m just nervous because all my friends who do A-level Psychology hate it so I don’t want to get to uni and really struggle to keep up as I’m obviously at a disadvantage
    Do your friends want to do a psychology degree or work in psychology? If not, then that's probably why they hate it? I enjoyed it when I was studying because I have an interest in it. You sound like you have an interest so don't stop yourself from doing something because of what your friends say.

I would say you're not at a disadvantage. Whatever degree you choose, you'll probably not have much experience of it and they're all a challenge so may as well choose one you have an interest in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    Do your friends want to do a psychology degree or work in psychology? If not, then that's probably why they hate it? I enjoyed it when I was studying because I have an interest in it. You sound like you have an interest so don't stop yourself from doing something because of what your friends say.

I would say you're not at a disadvantage. Whatever degree you choose, you'll probably not have much experience of it and they're all a challenge so may as well choose one you have an interest in.
    Thankyou. Looking at it that way you’re right. I guess no degree is easy and paying that much money, I might as well do something I’ve always wanted to do.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.