The Student Room Group

Independent GCE A Level Taker- Further Math

Hello!!

I want to take A Level on Further Math this year. 'Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer A-Levels, therefore, I will be taking it independently. I am about to make my registration but I'm a bit confused. Which modules do I need to take in order to complete Further Maths? Right now I''m thinking Further Pure 1, 2, 3, Mechanics 1, Statistics 1 and Decision 1. Would that be enough? By the way, the awarding body is EDEXCEL.
Hi, I've done Maths and FM A-level and started doing Further Maths Additional A-level with EDEXCEL. You only need FP1 and FP2, then any four of the other modules (apart from Core), so if you really like mechanics you could do M1-4, or a variety D1,S1-2,M1 etc etc. As long as you have six modules including FP1&2 you're good.
Are you sitting Maths A-level? I'm pretty sure you can only get a FM qualification if you've got Maths at A2. Email Edexcel before you make your final decision though just to double check, hope is helps!
Reply 2
Original post by MathsPhysMind
Hi, I've done Maths and FM A-level and started doing Further Maths Additional A-level with EDEXCEL. You only need FP1 and FP2, then any four of the other modules (apart from Core), so if you really like mechanics you could do M1-4, or a variety D1,S1-2,M1 etc etc. As long as you have six modules including FP1&2 you're good.
Are you sitting Maths A-level? I'm pretty sure you can only get a FM qualification if you've got Maths at A2. Email Edexcel before you make your final decision though just to double check, hope is helps!

Like I cannot take FM before M in the sense that it would be hard? Or that I cannot take because it's a rule?
Original post by bcavdar1
Like I cannot take FM before M in the sense that it would be hard? Or that I cannot take because it's a rule?

Because it's a rule. My understanding is that if you only take six modules it would be as a maths A-level, and if you took 12 it would be Maths and Further Maths, but it's worth checking that because it's just what my school told me
Reply 4
Original post by MathsPhysMind
Because it's a rule. My understanding is that if you only take six modules it would be as a maths A-level, and if you took 12 it would be Maths and Further Maths, but it's worth checking that because it's just what my school told me

Thank you! I have emailed them, and hope they will respond in 3 days (deadline for registration). Last question: Can I take AS Level in Further Maths then, without Maths itself? I have heard that AS Levels count as stand-alone qualifications. What are your thoughts on that? The reason I''m taking these exams is literally for fun and challenge. I have finished my applications for unis and had extra time. In addition, they will help to place me in College Math courses in the future.
I thought that if you took three modules then it would still count as AS Maths, but if you took Fp1-3 then it couldn't be maths... Hm, I don't know sorry.
You can still enter and sit six modules or as many as you want, and if they didn't count as an A-level qualification due to technicalities you would still have six module results which Unis and employers would understand and still be impressed by them.
Post back what happens with Exexcel and your registration please, I'm intrigued :smile: (go maths!)
you need to check as maths has gone linear, so from what I've read, you study for two years then take your exams.

I'm old spec maths. the last entry for this was September 2016.
I'm a private candidate sitting 6 modules. I was doing pure maths which was c1-4, fp1 and fp3. since I achieved an as, I've dropped fp1 and fp3 for d1 and s1.

I don't think it's done this way now.you need to speak with the exams officer at your exam centre

Quick Reply

Latest