Turn on thread page Beta

Dental filling: Metal Filling vs White Filling watch

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday, I went for a dental check up which lead to my dentist telling me that I needed a filling on one of my upper pre-molar at the right. She said the metal one was free of charge for me, while the white one was £90. Because I wasn't sure of which one to pick, I suspended the decision, with the intention of choosing at least by today or tomorrow. I liked the idea of a filling blending with my teeth colour and all, but I was wondering whether the free option was more convenient, especially when the doctor mentioned that white fillings could chipout/wear-out faster.

Later on, I asked my parents to help me decide, they suggested the metal one for reasons like durablity & strength as well, but still I didn't like the idea of a filling making my tooth colour look different.

So I thought "let me research anymore advantages & disadvantages of both online", and I came to realise that even the metal option wasn't free of possible problems as well(besides making my teeth look more awkward). The downsides I found included the possibility of it colouring/'dying' the surrounding enamel and expanding in a way that it could break it(especially with very hot/cold food/drinks), which made deciding on a good filling materal a lot harder for me.

Why am I mentioning this? you ask?, suggestions, especially from any of you that has applied either of the fillings. I could discuss this more with my dentist instead, but I want to have review from people that have had the fillings, rather than the ones that apply the fillings (for a living).

Also, as far as durability and strength is concerned, I'm more drawn to the metal filling option, especially since the filling would be on my pre-molar(the main set of teeth for chewing), but these downsides I'm concerned about, how do I react to them or lessing the effect of them?

well...I don't really know much about the downsides, but I've had metal fillings for about 5-ish years now, and I really regret not getting the white ones. They look awful.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Nobody's going to see an upper tooth except you - and your teeth aren't always going to stay the same shade of white.

ReputationRep:
    Get white ones! Yes they cost more, but amalgam fillings aside from bring unsightly contain mercury. In my younger years i was given silver fillings and I regret not getting white ones for both health and aesthetics. I had a white filling done recently and you can't even see its there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    well...I don't really know much about the downsides, but I've had metal fillings for about 5-ish years now, and I really regret not getting the white ones. They look awful.
    Elaborate please

ReputationRep:
    Tooth coloured defo
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have never had a filling, but I would go for a white one. I find the metal ones really unattractive and wouldn't want one in my mouth.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by kenni12)
    Yesterday, I went for a dental check up which lead to my dentist telling me that I needed a filling on one of my upper pre-molar at the right. She said the metal one was free of charge for me, while the white one was £90. Because I wasn't sure of which one to pick, I suspended the decision, with the intention of choosing at least by today or tomorrow. I liked the idea of a filling blending with my teeth colour and all, but I was wondering whether the free option was more convenient, especially when the doctor mentioned that white fillings could chipout/wear-out faster.

Later on, I asked my parents to help me decide, they suggested the metal one for reasons like durablity & strength as well, but still I didn't like the idea of a filling making my tooth colour look different.

So I thought "let me research anymore advantages & disadvantages of both online", and I came to realise that even the metal option wasn't free of possible problems as well(besides making my teeth look more awkward). The downsides I found included the possibility of it colouring/'dying' the surrounding enamel and expanding in a way that it could break it(especially with very hot/cold food/drinks), which made deciding on a good filling materal a lot harder for me.

What am I mentioning this? you ask?, suggestions, especially from any of you that has applied either of the fillings. I could discuss this more with my dentist instead, but I want to have review from people that have had the fillings, rather than the ones that apply the fillings (for a living).

Also, as far as durability and strength is concerned, I'm more drawn to the metal filling option, especially since the filling would be on my pre-molar(the man set of teeth for chewing), but these downsides I'm concerned about, how do I react to them or lessing the effect of them?
    I have white filling, though for cosmetic reasons (wanted to improve the shape of my teeth) and it's the front two at the top, so they have a different purpose. I've had to have it redone twice. They are not good. They break and chip very easily and each time it took a good few weeks for them to start being comfortable, because they'd be incredibly sharp in one place for a few days, then that thin sharp bit would break off and leave a weird ridge, and they just wear down really quite quickly. Unless you're prepared to pay out to get it done again, I honestly wouldn't bother. It's up top and at the back, so it's not like people are going to see it in the vast majority of situations

ReputationRep:
    Just get metal one for durability, plus since it's somewhere where no one will really see so why not? I have on where it can be seen if I talk but I don't give a damn about it, I only care about my own comfort Just a friendly advice, never get a metal crown for a tooth! It discoloured and made my tooth look all grey :erm:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.