Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dental filling: Metal Filling vs White Filling watch

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday, I went for a dental check up which lead to my dentist telling me that I needed a filling on one of my upper pre-molar at the right. She said the metal one was free of charge for me, while the white one was £90. Because I wasn't sure of which one to pick, I suspended the decision, with the intention of choosing at least by today or tomorrow. I liked the idea of a filling blending with my teeth colour and all, but I was wondering whether the free option was more convenient, especially when the doctor mentioned that white fillings could chipout/wear-out faster.

Later on, I asked my parents to help me decide, they suggested the metal one for reasons like durablity & strength as well, but still I didn't like the idea of a filling making my tooth colour look different.

So I thought "let me research anymore advantages & disadvantages of both online", and I came to realise that even the metal option wasn't free of possible problems as well(besides making my teeth look more awkward). The downsides I found included the possibility of it colouring/'dying' the surrounding enamel and expanding in a way that it could break it(especially with very hot/cold food/drinks), which made deciding on a good filling materal a lot harder for me.

Why am I mentioning this? you ask?, suggestions, especially from any of you that has applied either of the fillings. I could discuss this more with my dentist instead, but I want to have review from people that have had the fillings, rather than the ones that apply the fillings (for a living).

Also, as far as durability and strength is concerned, I'm more drawn to the metal filling option, especially since the filling would be on my pre-molar(the main set of teeth for chewing), but these downsides I'm concerned about, how do I react to them or lessing the effect of them?

well...I don't really know much about the downsides, but I've had metal fillings for about 5-ish years now, and I really regret not getting the white ones. They look awful.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Nobody's going to see an upper tooth except you - and your teeth aren't always going to stay the same shade of white.

ReputationRep:
    Get white ones! Yes they cost more, but amalgam fillings aside from bring unsightly contain mercury. In my younger years i was given silver fillings and I regret not getting white ones for both health and aesthetics. I had a white filling done recently and you can't even see its there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    well...I don't really know much about the downsides, but I've had metal fillings for about 5-ish years now, and I really regret not getting the white ones. They look awful.
    Elaborate please

ReputationRep:
    Tooth coloured defo
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have never had a filling, but I would go for a white one. I find the metal ones really unattractive and wouldn't want one in my mouth.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by kenni12)
    Yesterday, I went for a dental check up which lead to my dentist telling me that I needed a filling on one of my upper pre-molar at the right. She said the metal one was free of charge for me, while the white one was £90. Because I wasn't sure of which one to pick, I suspended the decision, with the intention of choosing at least by today or tomorrow. I liked the idea of a filling blending with my teeth colour and all, but I was wondering whether the free option was more convenient, especially when the doctor mentioned that white fillings could chipout/wear-out faster.

Later on, I asked my parents to help me decide, they suggested the metal one for reasons like durablity & strength as well, but still I didn't like the idea of a filling making my tooth colour look different.

So I thought "let me research anymore advantages & disadvantages of both online", and I came to realise that even the metal option wasn't free of possible problems as well(besides making my teeth look more awkward). The downsides I found included the possibility of it colouring/'dying' the surrounding enamel and expanding in a way that it could break it(especially with very hot/cold food/drinks), which made deciding on a good filling materal a lot harder for me.

What am I mentioning this? you ask?, suggestions, especially from any of you that has applied either of the fillings. I could discuss this more with my dentist instead, but I want to have review from people that have had the fillings, rather than the ones that apply the fillings (for a living).

Also, as far as durability and strength is concerned, I'm more drawn to the metal filling option, especially since the filling would be on my pre-molar(the man set of teeth for chewing), but these downsides I'm concerned about, how do I react to them or lessing the effect of them?
    I have white filling, though for cosmetic reasons (wanted to improve the shape of my teeth) and it's the front two at the top, so they have a different purpose. I've had to have it redone twice. They are not good. They break and chip very easily and each time it took a good few weeks for them to start being comfortable, because they'd be incredibly sharp in one place for a few days, then that thin sharp bit would break off and leave a weird ridge, and they just wear down really quite quickly. Unless you're prepared to pay out to get it done again, I honestly wouldn't bother. It's up top and at the back, so it's not like people are going to see it in the vast majority of situations

ReputationRep:
    Just get metal one for durability, plus since it's somewhere where no one will really see so why not? I have on where it can be seen if I talk but I don't give a damn about it, I only care about my own comfort Just a friendly advice, never get a metal crown for a tooth! It discoloured and made my tooth look all grey :erm:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.