Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so I sent my options form in recently but there's still time to change if needed. I'm taking French, Spanish, Business and History. Now the problem is that I kinda want to take geography because i find it interesting but i dont know if i should drop business studies or history.
    I've never done business before but i think it would be very helpful to have knowledge in that area. I kinda interested in history. My history teacher says i'm really good at it (but that's because my mum has helped quite a bit with homework) and my mum would lowkey kill me if i didn't take it. I just struggle a lot with the essays because i HATE writing them
    (sorry if that was really long and rambley)
    can someone please offer some advice about what to do ASAP?!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, only take subjects YOU want to do. Don’t let parents pressure you into choosing something you don’t want to do. Gcse history does involve essay writing and a lot of memorising. You will get used to essay writing in history and English so don’t worry too much if it’s not your strongest skill yet. Most people who take history do still find the content very interesting.

I never took business studies myself, but I would say that in the long run it might be less useful than geography, which is why a lot of schools don’t offer business studies. But a look at the specification and see if you might be interested. If you are, go for it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snazzae)
    so I sent my options form in recently but there's still time to change if needed. I'm taking French, Spanish, Business and History. Now the problem is that I kinda want to take geography because i find it interesting but i dont know if i should drop business studies or history.
    I've never done business before but i think it would be very helpful to have knowledge in that area. I kinda interested in history. My history teacher says i'm really good at it (but that's because my mum has helped quite a bit with homework) and my mum would lowkey kill me if i didn't take it. I just struggle a lot with the essays because i HATE writing them
    History is a much more respected subject that business studies. You can gain knowledge about business by doing wider reading such as reading newspapers and listening to the radio. If you're good at history and you're interested in it then there's no reason not to take it.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, do you know what you want to do after school yet? Do you want to study a particular subject at university? If so, think about which would be most useful for it - it's never too early to plan ahead.
    After that, I would just say to choose which interests you most. Intrest -> enjoyment -> work ethic -> easier -> better grades & more learnt.
    If it helps, Business Studies is considered a less academic subject than most.

ReputationRep:
    Business is an easy pass, whereas history is alot of essay writing. Geography is common sense most of the time but in history you must remember events. Recomend Geography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebuckley)
    Geography is common sense most of the time but in history you must remember events. Recomend Geography
    I did Classical Civilation, not History (but they're near enough the same thing, I believe), and found it easier than Geography, because Classics was more story oriented, whereas Geography involved remembering more speciallist terminology and case studies.
    I think it's mostly a matter of taste and how one's brain tends to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snazzae)
    Find out which exam boards you ar taking and re the specification so you know what you will be learning about. You'll also see the style of the exam papers and what sort of questions you will have to answer. Please choose subjects YOU want to take.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t do history if you do want to, it’s going to be a lot of work and is not considered an ‘easy’ gcse. However, if you think you’ll be interested in business in the future then I don’t think a lot of people study it at this stage but do for 16-18 studies and in a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd drop the languages right now lol. But just take what you want to take, don't worry about what your parents want you to do.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i haven't been very active on here, i forgot my passwork lmao. So currently, i'm still put down to do history and i mean, i guess i like it? i still feel like i should do geography though.
    I have no idea what i want to do in the future but i highly doubt i'm going to end up doing a history degree at uni so the logical thing would be to do geography right? well, my teacher isn't the best so i'm not the biggest fan of it right now and history is ehhh.
    why!! am!! i!! so!! indecisive!!
    sorry for wasting all of your time

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.