I have been declined by the royal navy because of asthma, what do i do???

Watch
willeyeam2002
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I really don't wan't to go the sixth form or college and there are no apprenticeships nearby that i can do and all I wanted to do was join the royal navy but because of stupid asthma (which isn't even that bad) I now cannot do what was best.
any help
TheDevil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What role was you going to apply for in the Royal Navy maybe do something similar? Normally it's for your own good and there isn't much point trying to join other armed forces because they will probably reject you. Can't you join the sea cadets?
willeyeam2002
Rep:
?
I'm already in sea cadets and I'm finishing secondary school and i want to join the navy but i think that if i get the doctor to remove the inhalers i can join the RAF
TheDevil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't know if you should remove the inhalers. Try the army because I've heard that they do accept people who have asthma. Just be careful full if you are going to remove the inhalers because you don't want to be having an asthma attack whilst on duty or anything. Read up on it first. I know someone who tried to join the RAF and they said that he couldn't do it because of is asthma. just think of what could triggers your asthma and make it a lot worse.
willeyeam2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDevil)
I don't know if you should remove the inhalers. Try the army because I've heard that they do accept people who have asthma. Just be careful full if you are going to remove the inhalers because you don't want to be having an asthma attack whilst on duty or anything. Read up on it first. I know someone who tried to join the RAF and they said that he couldn't do it because of is asthma. just think of what could triggers your asthma and make it a lot worse.
i
t had an asthma attack for years and years
willeyeam2002
Rep:
?
i haven't had an asthma attack for years and years
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm pretty sure you can't just stop taking your medication and remove an asthma diagnosis. You'll still have the diagnosis on your record if you don't take medication.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by willeyeam2002)
I really don't wan't to go the sixth form or college and there are no apprenticeships nearby that i can do and all I wanted to do was join the royal navy but because of stupid asthma (which isn't even that bad) I now cannot do what was best.
any help
Moved to Armed Forces
willeyeam2002
Rep:
?
yeah what I'm saying is that I've never had an asthma attack and I'm fine and it may just have been a viral infection
Bunker6685
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yeah what I'm saying is that I've never had an asthma attack and I'm fine and it may just have been a viral infection
If you haven't had any asthmatic symptoms for a few years go see you GP to have that written on your medical history.
willeyeam2002
Rep:
?
I will book an appointment and get stuff changed.
do you thing I could make a medical appeal
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I will book an appointment and get stuff changed.
do you thing I could make a medical appeal
If you can prove that the asthma diagnosis was incorrect, you have a chance.

If you can't get a doctor to agree that, then no.
willeyeam2002
Rep:
?
I reckon it was a chest infection as it was a while ago amd I haven't used the inhalers
Daniel Emery
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
any help
You have to be 4 years clear of any symptoms, treatment and prescriptions of inhalers. If you fulfill that criteria you have a chance of passing medical, if you don't, they won't let you in.
Aceofspades4503
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to be 4 years clear of asthma to pass the medical, however if you can prove it was misdiagnosis then you might have a chance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (63)
4.58%
Uncertainty around my education (214)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (152)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (195)
14.16%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (59)
4.28%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (80)
5.81%
Loneliness (123)
8.93%
Financial worries (47)
3.41%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (63)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (65)
4.72%
Lack of real life entertainment (72)
5.23%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (118)
8.57%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (126)
9.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed