Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

This is a bit of a story/vent/question. If this kind of thing is in the wrong forum or simply isn't allowed then it's no problem if it gets removed.

I'm 18 years old and I have been "home-educated" all my life. This was a really rubbish part of my life as I didn't learn anything.
    Please understand, I wasn't trying to be lazy I just never got the chance to learn. I even begged my parents to sign me up to a school as I was missing out on a social life and a decent education.
    And just to put things in to perspective, I didn't even know that GCSEs existed until I was 15.

Now here I am at 18 with no qualifications and barely any knowledge on anything. I'm probably the only person on the planet who's actually really excited and willing to study and take my GCSEs.
    I'm wondering how would I go about starting something like this?
    Are there resources that I can use on the internet, or would the government have some sort of funding for adult learners?

I know these are probably the most easily answerable questions but I honestly don't know how to start preparing and studying.

If anyone could help me out here I'd be extremely grateful.

Many thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by notadj)
    Hi guys,

This is a bit of a story/vent/question. If this kind of thing is in the wrong forum or simply isn't allowed then it's no problem if it gets removed.

I'm 18 years old and I have been "home-educated" all my life. This was a really rubbish part of my life as I didn't learn anything.
    Please understand, I wasn't trying to be lazy I just never got the chance to learn. I even begged my parents to sign me up to a school as I was missing out on a social life and a decent education.
    And just to put things in to perspective, I didn't even know that GCSEs existed until I was 15.

Now here I am at 18 with no qualifications and barely any knowledge on anything. I'm probably the only person on the planet who's actually really excited and willing to study and take my GCSEs.
    Are there resources that I can use on the internet, or would the government have some sort of funding for adult learners?

I know these are probably the most easily answerable questions but I honestly don't know how to start preparing and studying.

Many thanks.

Hey dont worry

It is not too late.

One concern I have is that you have had no education at all. Your parents have let you down and not done what they are required to do as home schoolers.

That said you sound as though you are free to make your own choices now?

Step 1. Get GCSE Maths and English. You can sometimes do these at college and it may even be free for those with no qualifications. In any event if not free you can use Advanced learner loans to fund (later). These are your two most important GCSEs and everyone wants them as a minimum.

Step 2 You then have a number of options, but my aim would be to get more GCSEs so you have at least 5 or 6. Some colleges offer pre access curses that lest you do about 4 GCSEs.

Step 3 then you can decide:

i) A levels- most academic route and based on exams 3= university.
    ii) BTEC- continuous assessment- Accepted at most unis.
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...nals-2016.html
    iii) NVQs more work experience and on the job, but dont lead to uni.
    iv) Access course a one year course designed to get you to uni- Accepted in most places.

You can choose to study in 3 ways.

a) At college- may not eb available for all sorts of courses. Advantage tutor plus other students.
    b) Distance learning- some tutor support and a course to follow, but up to you to d it and no fellow students.
    c) Self taught i.e just get the books and read.

Assuming you get the right grades in the right subjects then you cna pick a uni course if you wish to go and apply for a degree. You will have caught up by then and dont worry about your age as there are people of all ages at uni.

Financing is here by advanced learner loans. You can take up t 4 and you dont pay pack till you start earning over £21k and then its only 9% of the excess.

https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

Start with 2 GCSEs first imo and get your confidence. You have plenty of time to decide the correct route for you.

ReputationRep:
    I’d go to a college and take maths and English then maybe try and get a few more then maybe you could go on to do a levels or just leave it at the GCSEs and get maybe an apprenticeship
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Many thanks.
    I was in your exact situation. I self studied to get a C in GCSE maths and I took it as a private candidate at CCSS in cambridge. I used www.m4ths.com to self study.

Then I applied for college on a level 2 course, my tutors said a company was looking for an apprentice, and here I am as an apprentice now

You have to try and get on a college course, because you won't be able to do much without your maths and english gcse's. Or you could try and self study like me, and take it as a private candidate (it's not cheap though, I paid like £270). Hope this helps Never give up! January 2017 I was crying in my bedroom because I thought I'd never get a job. Getting your maths gcse would help you get on a college course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Hey dont worry

It is not too late.

One concern I have is that you have had no education at all. Your parents have let you down and not done what they are required to do as home schoolers.

That said you sound as though you are free to make your own choices now?

Step 1. Get GCSE Maths and English. You can sometimes do these at college and it may even be free for those with no qualifications. In any event if not free you can use Advanced learner loans to fund (later). These are your two most important GCSEs and everyone wants them as a minimum.

Step 2 You then have a number of options, but my aim would be to get more GCSEs so you have at least 5 or 6. Some colleges offer pre access curses that lest you do about 4 GCSEs.

Step 3 then you can decide:

i) A levels- most academic route and based on exams 3= university.
    ii) BTEC- continuous assessment- Accepted at most unis.
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...nals-2016.html
    iii) NVQs more work experience and on the job, but dont lead to uni.
    iv) Access course a one year course designed to get you to uni- Accepted in most places.

You can choose to study in 3 ways.

a) At college- may not eb available for all sorts of courses. Advantage tutor plus other students.
    b) Distance learning- some tutor support and a course to follow, but up to you to d it and no fellow students.
    c) Self taught i.e just get the books and read.

Assuming you get the right grades in the right subjects then you cna pick a uni course if you wish to go and apply for a degree. You will have caught up by then and dont worry about your age as there are people of all ages at uni.

Financing is here by advanced learner loans. You can take up t 4 and you dont pay pack till you start earning over £21k and then its only 9% of the excess.

https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

Start with 2 GCSEs first imo and get your confidence. You have plenty of time to decide the correct route for you.
    Thank you so much for your reply!

My dad definitely let me down in many different aspects but I am old enough now to make my own decisions.

I had a look at my local college and it turns out since I'm 18 with no qualifictions that I am exempt from fees from what I can make out.

Honestly, if you didn't suggest that to me I never would have even thought that a college would be able to help me out.

I've signed up to an assessment evening where they will decide what level I'll be starting at and then we'll see where it goes from there. I'm guessing it will be an Entry level course though.

I'll have to consider A-Levels, BTECs and Access to HE once I get my Maths and English through this course (if I get them)

A huge thanks for your reply as it's been very informative and opened my eyes to oppurtunites I didn't even know existed.

I'm looking forward to starting this course in September if they accept me.

Many Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your reply!

My dad definitely let me down in many different aspects but I am old enough now to make my own decisions.

I had a look at my local college and it turns out since I'm 18 with no qualifictions that I am exempt from fees from what I can make out.

Honestly, if you didn't suggest that to me I never would have even thought that a college would be able to help me out.

I've signed up to an assessment evening where they will decide what level I'll be starting at and then we'll see where it goes from there. I'm guessing it will be an Entry level course though.

I'll have to consider A-Levels, BTECs and Access to HE once I get my Maths and English through this course (if I get them)

A huge thanks for your reply as it's been very informative and opened my eyes to oppurtunites I didn't even know existed.

Many Thanks!
    Good luck and work hard 💪

ReputationRep:
    At least you didn't fail all of them, I'm 18 with only 3 functional skills entry level 3 qualifications in English and maths then animal care. All of my GCSEs are below C/4. I'm doing level 1 English and maths functional skills now but still don't have a future.

ReputationRep:
    Isn’t it illegal to not be in school until 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowcat1437)
    Isn’t it illegal to not be in school until 18?
    Not really, they won't do anything if you're not in education but you're supposed to be.

ReputationRep:

Many Thanks!
    Hi Notadj

I work in an FE college and have had students like yourself in the past who were poorly homeschooled.

There is a course called access to FE you might want to consider. It has English & maths as well as some other vocational type courses. It's full time so it depends on how much available time you have and also where your current ability is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sceptical_John)
    Hi Notadj

I work in an FE college and have had students like yourself in the past who were poorly homeschooled.

There is a course called access to FE you might want to consider. It has English & maths as well as some other vocational type courses. It's full time so it depends on how much available time you have and also where your current ability is.
    What about me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasmineWills)
    At least you didn't fail all of them, I'm 18 with only 3 functional skills entry level 3 qualifications in English and maths then animal care. All of my GCSEs are below C/4. I'm doing level 1 English and maths functional skills now but still don't have a future.
    Hi Jasmine

I think you're on the right path. Doing level 1 FS is the right choice following entry 3. The best advice is really to find something you can see yourself doing as a career and work out how to get there with the career advisers.

Do you do any vocational skills or just E&M?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Many thanks.
    I’ve been put In private education until finally at 15, I went to a public school which I wanted. I had only a year to study all GCSE I relate to you. Don’t go back and think, now you’re so young, literally you have option to retake GCSE or study course in college.

ReputationRep:
    do what tigger said.

also because you're 18 with no qualifications you might be eligible for some funding should you go to college for a-levels

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.