Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am 23 years old and I come from Spain. I have been living and working in uk for 4 years.
    I wanted to start the university next year but I have called finance service and they say I can't have the maintenance loan because I do not qualify.
    I have read about migrant worker loan but where should I have to ask?? I do really need help please, I don't know what to do.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Scarlakz)
    I am 23 years old and I come from Spain. I have been living and working in uk for 4 years.
    I wanted to start the university next year but I have called finance service and they say I can't have the maintenance loan because I do not qualify.
    I have read about migrant worker loan but where should I have to ask?? I do really need help please, I don't know what to do.
    Hi Scarlakz,

To be eligible for funding as a Migrant Worker you must meet the following criteria,

• EU/EEA or Swiss National (or family member of)
    • Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course
    • Ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course
    • They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/Child or grandchild must be working throughout the students studies
    • They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/grandchild must receive wages for this work but can also have ‘pocket money’ for voluntary work i.e. Au Pair
    • This work must be effective, genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or ancillary

We will also require evidence.

Employed
    • The students original Passport or National ID Card
    • Croatian Nationals Only - Migrant Worker’s Permit (yellow/blue or purple card)
    • A copy of the students contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer)
    • The students last 3 months payslips (if available)
    • The students most recent P60 (if available)
    • Termly evidence

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replaying but I have some other questions.
    Could you tell me where do I have to send all the original documents as I want to start the university next year.
    What about if I dont have a part time job when I apply the loan but I have been working before in England?
    I have been living with my parents in spain many years so How can I prove it?

I will be having a part time job as I am still living with my family so what is the minimum income for a family of 4(including myself)?
    The founding for migrant worker are the same as the maintenance student loan?
    Thank you in advance
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you for replaying but I have some other questions.
    Could you tell me where do I have to send all the original documents as I want to start the university next year.
    What about if I dont have a part time job when I apply the loan but I have been working before in England?
    I have been living with my parents in spain many years so How can I prove it?

I will be having a part time job as I am still living with my family so what is the minimum income for a family of 4(including myself)?
    The founding for migrant worker are the same as the maintenance student loan?
    Thank you in advance
    Hi Scarlakz,

To be eligible as a migrant worker, the migrant worker must be working throughout your studies. This means if you're the migrant worker, you would need to be working throughout your studies to be eligible.

There is also the option being the family member of a migrant worker. So if you have a parent/step-parent/spouse from the EU and they are working in the UK, you may be eligible under this criteria.

There is no minimum income, the application will be assessed on a case by case basis and as long as your income is considered enough for you to live on, you should be eligible.

That's correct, if you're eligible for funding as a migrant worker you can receive the same funding as a home student, this includes the maintenance loan.

I'm just going to ask a couple of questions. You mentioned that you've lived in the UK for 4 years and plan on starting uni next year.

When did you move to the UK?

What month next year to you plan on starting your course?

Thank you,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Hi john
    If I apply as a family of a mirgrant worker I just need to send my dad's information? Where do I send it??
    I have been trying to find where to send all the information and If I have to writte a letter.
    I moved to uk on 7 th March 2015 but I am registered in the jobcentre 27 th March 2015.
    This will be my fouth year before starting university september 2019.
    Thank you
    Pamela
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi john
    If I apply as a family of a mirgrant worker I just need to send my dad's information? Where do I send it??
    I have been trying to find where to send all the information and If I have to writte a letter.
    I moved to uk on 7 th March 2015 but I am registered in the jobcentre 27 th March 2015.
    This will be my fouth year before starting university september 2019.
    Thank you
    Pamela
    Hi Pamela,

Thanks for answering those questions.

to apply as the child of a migrant worker, we would require the following evidnece:

-Your original passport or ID card.
    -Your fathers original passport or ID card.
    -A photocopy of your birth certificate naming your father.
    -A copy of your fathers contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay.
    -A letter from their employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which they work if this is not confirmed on the contract of they are on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the human resources department or their manager.
    -Your fathers last 3 months payslips.
    -Your fathers most recent p60.
    -Updated payslips each term (we will request these).

The address to send your evidence is:

EU Migrant Worker Team
    Student Finance England
    PO Box 89
    Darlington
    DL1 9AZ

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Hi john
    When is the deadline for sending this documents? I am getting ready my course for the next year.
    My dad is working part time . It would be a problem? He will try to find a full time job shortly but what about if something happends after I start my course and my dad lose his job ? Will I lose my loan??
    Another question is .. Can I live in the university flat or Do I need to stay with my father in the same flat?.
    Will I be able to get grants or some university help or scholarships for low income?
    Thank you so much for your answers. You are being very helpful.
    Pamela
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi john
    When is the deadline for sending this documents? I am getting ready my course for the next year.
    My dad is working part time . It would be a problem? He will try to find a full time job shortly but what about if something happends after I start my course and my dad lose his job ? Will I lose my loan??
    Another question is .. Can I live in the university flat or Do I need to stay with my father in the same flat?.
    Will I be able to get grants or some university help or scholarships for low income?
    Thank you so much for your answers. You are being very helpful.
    Pamela
    Hi Pamela,

You're very welcome, more than happy to help.

The deadline to apply for finance is 9 months after the start of the academic year, however, we do advise to apply and provide evidence just as soon as possible, to ensure your funding is ready in time for your course.

When applying as the child of a migrant worker who is over 21, we also require evidence to show that you are physically or financially dependent on them.
    For example, if you are financially dependent on your father, we'd need to see evidence of your income and outgoings to show that you aren't earning enough to live independently. We can also accept evidence to show that your father transfers you money or pays your bills.

You can live away from the parents home, however, we'd then also request evidence of who is paying the rent and bills.

You'd need to speak with the university about scholarships and bursaries, they may provide some funding like this, they will be able to give you some information on them.

I understand there's quite a lot of information there so please don't hesitate to ask for any clarification on anything.

Best wishes,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Hi John,
    Currently I am living with my family and I am not working but I am looking for a full time job before starting the university.
    I was thinking to live in a university flat with my maintenance loan and some help from my dad or the university because I am living in Eastbourne and the nearest university is Brighton so I don't want to spend a lot of money traveling per month.
    If I apply as the child of a migrant worker could I change it after if something happens for being me who is working?
    or Could I change it for the second year?
    I am really confuse which one I have to decide as I don't want to stop my maintenance loan if I have a part time job during my studies and for some reason I lose the job or something. I will not able to afford going to the university if I don't get this loan as I have a low family income.
    If I send on September all the documents do you know how long I would have to wait for the answer?
    Yes, I have many questions because I really want to know all the possible options as I still have time to plan it.

Kind Regards
    Pamela
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi John,
    Currently I am living with my family and I am not working but I am looking for a full time job before starting the university.
    I was thinking to live in a university flat with my maintenance loan and some help from my dad or the university because I am living in Eastbourne and the nearest university is Brighton so I don't want to spend a lot of money traveling per month.
    If I apply as the child of a migrant worker could I change it after if something happens for being me who is working?
    or Could I change it for the second year?
    I am really confuse which one I have to decide as I don't want to stop my maintenance loan if I have a part time job during my studies and for some reason I lose the job or something. I will not able to afford going to the university if I don't get this loan as I have a low family income.
    If I send on September all the documents do you know how long I would have to wait for the answer?
    Yes, I have many questions because I really want to know all the possible options as I still have time to plan it.

Kind Regards
    Pamela

Hi Pamela,

Migrant Worker applications are currently taking an estimated nine working days to process.

Timescales vary, I cannot give you an estimated processing timescale for September as that will be a very busy period.

We advise all students to make their applications as early as possible to ensure support is in place for the start of your course.

The applications are available now, you do not need a confirmed place on a course, choose your first choice and you can make changes to your application online before the start if you choose a different place.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I will try to send all the information before June but :
    As I am living with my parents and sister, Do I have to send their income and original identification?
    At the moment my dad is working part time, my mum is not working and my sister +25 years is working full time.
    As I told before my dad is going to get a full time job , so can I send the application now or I have to wait until he gets the full time job? My household income is low so could I have some home support or something.
    I have made an account in student finance england. Do I need to send information there as well? or I will receive the answer from the letter I am going to send?
    Regards
    Pamela
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,
    I will try to send all the information before June but :
    As I am living with my parents and sister, Do I have to send their income and original identification?
    At the moment my dad is working part time, my mum is not working and my sister +25 years is working full time.
    As I told before my dad is going to get a full time job , so can I send the application now or I have to wait until he gets the full time job? My household income is low so could I have some home support or something.
    I have made an account in student finance england. Do I need to send information there as well? or I will receive the answer from the letter I am going to send?
    Regards
    Pamela

Hi Pamela,

You should apply now, if you are not working and it is your dad that is the Migrant worker, to apply as the child of a migrant worker, we would require the following evidence:

-Your original passport or ID card.
    -Your fathers original passport or ID card.
    -A photocopy of your birth certificate naming your father.
    -A copy of your fathers contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay.
    -A letter from their employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which they work if this is not confirmed on the contract of they are on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the human resources department or their manager.
    -Your fathers last 3 months payslips.
    -Your fathers most recent p60.
    -Updated payslips each term (we will request these).

The address to send your evidence is:

EU Migrant Worker Team
    Student Finance England
    PO Box 89
    Darlington
    DL1 9AZ

When applying as the child of a migrant worker who is over 21, we also require evidence to show that you are physically or financially dependent on them.
    For example, if you are financially dependent on your father, we'd need to see evidence of your income and outgoings to show that you aren't earning enough to live independently. We can also accept evidence to show that your father transfers you money or pays your bills.

You can live away from the parents home, however, we'd then also request evidence of who is paying the rent and bills.

We will not need your mother or your sisters information.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona
    Thank you so much for your answer, but you have said that:

Do I have to send as well my bank statements as proof?
    The bills are named in my sisters name , my dads name and my name like the council tax. Some other bills are with my sisters name as she had the best English.
    When I start my degree I would like to live in the university campus otherwise it would be very expensive with the travels. Would I have to be in contact with my university before or after my course starts for boundaries or scholarships ?

Also, I have my birth certificate but it is in Spanish. Could I send it?

Regards
    Pamela
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona
    Thank you so much for your answer, but you have said that:

Do I have to send as well my bank statements as proof?
    The bills are named in my sisters name , my dads name and my name like the council tax. Some other bills are with my sisters name as she had the best English.
    When I start my degree I would like to live in the university campus otherwise it would be very expensive with the travels. Would I have to be in contact with my university before or after my course starts for boundaries or scholarships ?

Also, I have my birth certificate but it is in Spanish. Could I send it?

Regards
    Pamela
    Hi Pamela,

If you are over 21, we do require evidence to show that you are physically or financially dependent on the Migrant Worker.

You can send copies of bank statements if that shows transactions from your dad to your account and any other evidence that you have, it will be reviewed by an assessor on a case by case basis.

If it is not sufficient then they will request more.

A copy of your birth certificate is to show your relationship to the Migrant Worker will be acceptable in Spanish.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona
    My dad has not sent me money as we are leaving in the same flat and I don't have any document about it.
    I don't know what to show as I am not working and the bills are paid by bank. When I start the university I will not be working and he will be providing me giving me food buying for himself as I will be paying my own accommodation with the loan.
    I don't know now what can I send to proof it.
    As I told you before I will be working before starting university with a full time job and my dad will be giving me some help during my course with food. I a from a low income family.
    Another thing, My course has 3 years of duration and I could be working in the third year in a pay job of my profession for getting experience. Would this affect my maintenance loan?

Regards
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona
    My dad has not sent me money as we are leaving in the same flat and I don't have any document about it.
    I don't know what to show as I am not working and the bills are paid by bank. When I start the university I will not be working and he will be providing me giving me food buying for himself as I will be paying my own accommodation with the loan.
    I don't know now what can I send to proof it.
    As I told you before I will be working before starting university with a full time job and my dad will be giving me some help during my course with food. I a from a low income family.
    Another thing, My course has 3 years of duration and I could be working in the third year in a pay job of my profession for getting experience. Would this affect my maintenance loan?

Regards
    Hi Scarlakz,

EU students are eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee only.

An EU student needs to meet the five years residency requirements in the UK to be assessed for the same level of support as a home student.

You can be assesed as Migrant Worker and you are going to be working and continue working throughout your studies.

That means once you start working you can apply as a Migrant Worker in your own right.

While you are under 25 years old the income used to assess your application is your parents' household income.

If you want to apply as Child of a Migrant Worker and you are over 21 years old, then you need to send evidence that you are financially dependant on your dad.

Then you should send what you have and the assessors will decide if what you have provided is sufficient.

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona
    I am more confuse now.
    You say that I cannot work full time before starting my course and be after the child of a Migrant worker??

If it is no possible in that way ..
    so you suggest that I would need to work now and try to find a work in Brighton of few hours before starting my course.
    It is more difficult as I am living far away from the university. I mean trying to find a small job before my course without stop working.

or could you give me a telephone number so I could explain my case.

Regards
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona
    I am more confuse now.
    You say that I cannot work full time before starting my course and be after the child of a Migrant worker??

If it is no possible in that way ..
    so you suggest that I would need to work now and try to find a work in Brighton of few hours before starting my course.
    It is more difficult as I am living far away from the university. I mean trying to find a small job before my course without stop working.

or could you give me a telephone number so I could explain my case.

Regards
    Hi Scarlakz,

I will try and explain again a different way.

EU students who you do not meet the five years residency requirement, would be entitled to a Tuition Fee only.

If you start working and continue to work while studying you can apply as a Migrant Worker.

If you are not working alternatively you can apply as Child of a Migrant Worker, but if you are 21 years or older, you need to provide evidence to show that you are fully financially dependant on your father.

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona
    I understood the first time and I tried to explain you my situation but you will just repeat me the same information.
    thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona
    I understood the first time and I tried to explain you my situation but you will just repeat me the same information.
    thanks
    Hi Pamela,

Apologies for any confusion with the information.

To clarify, is your main question if you can change what type of migrant worker you are applying as? For example, apply as a Migrant worker just now, then if you stop working, change to the child of a migrant worker.
    If so, then yes you can change how you're applying. If you've originally applied as a migrant worker because you're working, then you stop working, you can send evidence to become the child of migrant worker.

I hope this helps clear things up. The telephone number is 0300 100 0607 if you do want to give us a call and explain your situation and get more information.

Kind regards,

John.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.