Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so I am thinking of doing two humanities (philosophy and history) but idk if that will be too hard? My school said it’s best to do one humanities.
    I want to be a lawyer so if I have to choose one, which one?

ReputationRep:
    A-level?
    GCSE?
    Choose the one that your the best at/easiest or the one that you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    A-level?
    GCSE?
    Choose the one that your the best at/easiest or the one that you enjoy.
    It’s GCSE, and okay.. but is doing two humanities good? Or is it too hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxnna01)
    GCSE? I don't see why they would try and stop you from doing two-do what you like and enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxnna01)
    Philosophy isn't done in my school-just geography and History. Generally, yes it is, most people regret it.

History is an odd one; those who took either hate it and are bad at it, or love it and are good at it. The spec is very long; depending on what exam board is chosen (for me AQA), the content is ridiculously long and you will need to remember, in detail, many things.

Exam technique is crucial. Some questions are very vague, your teacher will tell you this, and you will need to know techniques that the question won't tell you to use like using provenance.

Depending what your school picks is also a huge decider (some topics are much easier and have less content than others; some use a lot of common sense which is good). Some topics are super easy such as British Medicine, where you can chat utter *******s about the advancement and change in medical knowledge- there is still so much content to learn such as key figures, key events, the dates of the time periods (for this one, dates play a huge role unlike Vietnam or something)

Basically, if you are good at memorising and retaining large and specific amounts of information, history is great; its literally a huge knowledge recall subject. You can still get an A (which multiple students have done) without offering "perceptive" analysis as long as its strong and backed up by evidence relating to the question. Idk about Philosophy but this is my experience and two-cents on History as a GCSE. If you are organised ans think you can handle it go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Pick what you're interested in. If you want to do both, then do both. I think that it is many times easier to do what you enjoy, even if it is technically harder.
    I'm a maths/physics person, but did both Classics and Geography at GCSE. They weren't my best subjects, but I didn't struggle at all with the workload. So you don't really even have to be a 'humanities person' to do it.
    I'd highly recommend looking through some university courses now and checking what they tend to want. They don't usually want particular GCSEs, in my experience, but they will want certain A-levels, and those A-levels may have prerequisites.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.