Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in Year 11 (which I think is Year 10 in England) so in the first year of my GCSEs. I couldn't take English Literature because it isn't compulsory in NI and it clashed with Triple Science. I decided I needed more, which I'm really regretting!

I'm thinking about studying it outside of school - it sounds easy enough since it's more about technique than memorisation, and I read and write more than the English Lit students at school. I'm sitting the rest of my exams in 2019, is it too late to apply to take English Lit at the same time? And do you think I can feasibly study it independently, or would this result in a bad score?

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by digitaldruglord)
    Hi,

I'm in Year 11 (which I think is Year 10 in England) so in the first year of my GCSEs. I couldn't take English Literature because it isn't compulsory in NI and it clashed with Triple Science. I decided I needed more, which I'm really regretting!

I'm thinking about studying it outside of school - it sounds easy enough since it's more about technique than memorisation, and I read and write more than the English Lit students at school. I'm sitting the rest of my exams in 2019, is it too late to apply to take English Lit at the same time? And do you think I can feasibly study it independently, or would this result in a bad score?

Thanks.
    Hi,

If you haven’t already, I’d suggest mentioning this to your teachers as they ultimately have the say on whether or not you can sit the exam with them.

I’d ask yourself if you need the added pressure on top of your other GCSEs and if you needed a qualification in it? It may be a case of you enjoy reading/writing but having the flexibility to to read/write whatever you’d like for fun is more enjoyable than what an exam specification dictates.

Let me know what you think
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi,

Thanks.
    If you really want to do it and are prepared to put the work in, then you can do it. You might need to work over the summer.

You can either buy a correspondence course and distance learn or just get the textbooks.

What you are looking at is being a private candidate.

That means you pay for:

1. Your own books.
    2. The exam fee (c £50)
    3. Centre fee [ cost for using someone premises to sit the exam]. School might let you sit there.

Go and talk to your English teacher. One potential issue with CCEA is the controlled assessment and you need someone to mark it. This makes it unsuitable for private candidates, but you might work something out with them or find another exam board where it is all exams.

http://ccea.org.uk/sites/default/fil...te_Booklet.pdf

Maybe IGCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Hi,

If you haven’t already, I’d suggest mentioning this to your teachers as they ultimately have the say on whether or not you can sit the exam with them.

I’d ask yourself if you need the added pressure on top of your other GCSEs and if you needed a qualification in it? It may be a case of you enjoy reading/writing but having the flexibility to to read/write whatever you’d like for fun is more enjoyable than what an exam specification dictates.

Let me know what you think
    My English teacher is away on a week-long school trip at the moment, but I'm going to ask her when she gets back. I think I might be allowed to do it if the school takes private candidates, since I'm one of the strongest in my English Language class (predicted A*).

I only take 9 GCSE subjects (my school doesn't allow us to do any more), so I'm sure it will be okay since loads of students take 10 or more. I don't think the content will be an issue since essay- and language-based subjects are my strongest (I take English, History, RS, French, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths and my best are the former five... which is why I'm kicking myself about TS over Eng Lit haha). I've seen some of my friends' B/A Eng Lit essays and they're nothing I'd struggle to write.

Thank you for the help!

ReputationRep:
    I think I might be allowed to do it if the school takes private candidates, since I'm one of the strongest in my English Language class (predicted A*).
    Any school can take private candidates but you would have to be entered as a centre candidate as you are enrolled at the school.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.