Turn on thread page Beta

Iceland-Full time but only get part time hours? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was doing my research on Iceland (as I could potentially get a job offer from them) and apparently a lot of people working full time have stated that they are only contracted 8 hour contracts, then during their working week overtime hours will be added.
    I was wondering if anyone who has had experience working in iceland full time, could correctly confirm if this is true or ?
    Hours werent mentioned in the interview at all. So i was wondering typically how many hours are contracted to a full time retail assistant?
    P.S it would also be good if i could get a response from past or current full time workers of iceland, in the North East.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Full time in general is typically at least 35 hours a week. If you're classed as a full time employee, you'll be doing minimum 35 hours I believe.

If people are contracted 8 hours, then they are not full-time employees, they are regarded as part-time, who just happen to be doing overtime. Doing overtime does not mean you become a full-time employee.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what I thought as well. But on some of these reviews people were saying that iceland cant offer them anything over 7 hours in their contract, but week by week they are promised more than their contracted hours. But from what you've just stated it must be those that are part time staff. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    If the role advertised stated it was full time, you should be getting full time hours
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    If the role advertised stated it was full time, you should be getting full time hours
    I agree.
    And if they only give you part time hours, you can have have them over it.

ReputationRep:
    It might be that the contract states that you are guaranteed full time hours (e.g 35 hours a week) but only 8 of those hours are fixed week to week with the other 27 being made up by "overtime" which varies week to week. Alternatively they could be advertising it as full time, but only putting 8 hours into the written contract, which whilst slightly underhand wouldn't actually be against the rules as it would be stated in the written contract

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.