Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I find that although I revise all topics in loads of detail and understand fully, I never pick up the marks in exams! Like I got a D in a mock when I should be getting an A. It confuses me because I defo know my stuff....
    Anyone else have this problem? How do u hack it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The best way I'm finding to get around this is most of the questions are application based especially the 6-8 marks, whilst the multi choice are more knowledged based. The only thing I could say is to practise more of exam questions so you know what sort of answers the examiners will be looking for and make sure you know the practical techniques and the limitations to them. Good luck
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by beth.27)
    I find that although I revise all topics in loads of detail and understand fully, I never pick up the marks in exams! Like I got a D in a mock when I should be getting an A. It confuses me because I defo know my stuff....
    Anyone else have this problem? How do u hack it?
    When doing past papers, make sure you go over the mark scheme and see exactly what they want i.e. the keywords they highlight or bold.

Also if a question is 4 marks for example - make sure you're writing 4 different points. A lot of questions in science A-level exams are repeated over the years so sometimes a good memory can be helpful too.

When I was revising for my A-levels I would write the questions I got wrong on a flashcard and have the answers on the back and also try to make my own questions from the textbooks/syllabus.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.