Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Before you read this; I am looking for a straight up answer, not a 'choose what you like'.

I'm picking my GCSE's this week and I was wondering if taking two humanities is good or if there is too much to remember? My school said it is recommended to only take one humanities..

I want to be a lawyer and the humanities subjects l want to take are : Philosophy and History.

If I should not take two humanities, which one would be better for my career choice? Philosophy or History? PLEASE ANSWER ASAP..

ReputationRep:
    doesnt matter at gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxnna01)
    Before you read this; I am looking for a straight up answer, not a 'choose what you like'.

I'm picking my GCSE's this week and I was wondering if taking two humanities is good or if there is too much to remember? My school said it is recommended to only take one humanities..

I want to be a lawyer and the humanities subjects l want to take are : Philosophy and History.

If I should not take two humanities, which one would be better for my career choice? Philosophy or History? PLEASE ANSWER ASAP..
    Hey
    I’m in year 11 and am also a high achieving student. Take them both, they’re impressive to have!
    If you’re only to take one though, choose history it’s more respected by employers.
    )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxcm)
    Hey
    I’m in year 11 and am also a high achieving student. Take them both, they’re impressive to have!
    If you’re only to take one though, choose history it’s more respected by employers.
    )
    (Original post by xoxcm)
    Hey
    )
    Thank you.. if I may ask:
    - Does geography show off the same skills as history?
    - What were your options?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-sian)
    doesnt matter at gcse
    But A-Levels do, and the GCSE choices you make affect your A-Level choices.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is the softest subject it’s possible to pick so do history
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.. if I may ask:
    - Does geography show off the same skills as history?
    - What were your options?
    Hey,
    Personally I’d say that History is far more impressive and respected than Geography. But if you prefer Geography, take it. My option subjects are French, History and Business Studies.
    My mock exam results were:
    Business: A*
    English Language: 9
    English literature: 6
    French: 6
    History: 8
    Maths: 7
    Religious Education: 8
    Science: 7/7
    History is hard work, but it’s a subject I enjoy thoroughly.
    My A-Level subjects will be Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History x

ReputationRep:
    I'm a maths/physics person, rather than a humanities person (though I am quite academic generally). I took both Geography and Classical Civilisation (basically Greek history) for GCSE, and didn't find them to give me any more work than any other subjects. I know many less academic people as well who took two humanities, and I think they generally did fine.
    So I don't think workload should really be an issue - if you like both then you should definitely do both.
    If you must choose one, then - with my limited knowledge of law - I feel like history may be more relevant, as most law is based on historical cases. Additionally, I believe that fewer schools offer philosophy (mine does not), so history may be more expected.
    I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxcm)
    Hey,
    Personally I’d say that History is far more impressive and respected than Geography. But if you prefer Geography, take it. My option subjects are French, History and Business Studies.
    My mock exam results were:
    Business: A*
    English Language: 9
    English literature: 6
    French: 6
    History: 8
    Maths: 7
    Religious Education: 8
    Science: 7/7
    History is hard work, but it’s a subject I enjoy thoroughly.
    My A-Level subjects will be Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History x
    Thank you x
    Again, what do you want to be? x

ReputationRep:
    I took both History and Geography and can say I have no problems with doing the both of them- though, if you would choose just one, I would recommend History, I’ve overall found it more interesting, though part of the reason I chose both is because I couldn’t choose between them!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thank you x
    Again, what do you want to be? x
    I’m hoping to be a doctor, I’m very determined and hard working, so I hope it pays off! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Top Hat Quark)
    I'm a maths/physics person, rather than a humanities person (though I am quite academic generally). I took both Geography and Classical Civilisation (basically Greek history) for GCSE, and didn't find them to give me any more work than any other subjects. I know many less academic people as well who took two humanities, and I think they generally did fine.
    So I don't think workload should really be an issue - if you like both then you should definitely do both.
    If you must choose one, then - with my limited knowledge of law - I feel like history may be more relevant, as most law is based on historical cases. Additionally, I believe that fewer schools offer philosophy (mine does not), so history may be more expected.
    I hope this helps!
    Thank you sm, that was very helpful!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxcm)
    I’m hoping to be a doctor, I’m very determined and hard working, so I hope it pays off! x
    Okay thank you and your mock exams were incredible! Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you and your mock exams were incredible! Good luck x
    Thank you so much, best of luck and PM me if you’d like any further advice x

ReputationRep:
    For law you need to take history and English at a level so pick history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confidente)
    For law you need to take history and English at a level so pick history
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna take both, go for it. If you wanna pick one, I'd take history. Ngl GCSEs don't really matter too much unless you want to go to Oxford. Even then, the actual subjects you take don't matter just the grades really.

ReputationRep:

I think you should choose philosophy. I believe it would help more if you want to be a lawyer than choosing history. - sorry if that's not much help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.M.B.7239)
    I think you should choose philosophy. I believe it would help more if you want to be a lawyer than choosing history. - sorry if that's not much help
    Thank you and yes it does x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and yes it does x
    You're welcome. I don't suppose you know any good English Language revision sites? I'm stuck.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.