Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    Why can't they engage in politics? Hmm, let me think, let me think... I know, because it is an Awards Show! Because it is meant to be entertainment, show business! This is the biggest chance the industry has to promote and market itself and its products annually!

Ratings were down 20%. That means one in five viewers decided to not watch this year. Big numbers, huge for a ratings, money obsessed business like Hollywood. That is why they can't engage in politics.

People are bored with the transgender, how wonderful is diversity, the more illegal immigration the better, admit every refugee supporting opinions of these stars. They don't have to watch and increasingly they aren't.

Politicians, inevitably, get 50% of the population hating them. Hollywood stars, Hollywood itself can get 100% of the population loving them, it, if they stay off deeply divisive political topics. But no, they have to virtue signal. It is a terrible business model.
    Their films are still rather popular and make a shed load of money. They are entitled to speak their opinion, just as you are entitled to come on here and speak yours.

If you're bored, don't watch it. You remind me of a right wing SJW. Like the type who complained about family guy and South Park because it offended them. If you don't like it don't watch it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    Their films are still rather popular and make a shed load of money. They are entitled to speak their opinion, just as you are entitled to come on here and speak yours.

If you're bored, don't watch it. You remind me of a right wing SJW. Like the type who complained about family guy and South Park because it offended them. If you don't like it don't watch it.
    I didn't watch it, and fewer and fewer people worldwide ARE watching it. That was my point?

ReputationRep:
    Why can they not engage in politics? Aren't you doing that right now on this thread? I don't get this idea that celebrities and actors shouldn't be allowed to state their opinion.
    Because the actors has a huge influence. And to a lot of people they are akin religion or something. So if they say something - thousands of people will support them just because they worship the actor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucke1992)
    Because the actors has a huge influence. And to a lot of people they are akin religion or something. So if they say something - thousands of people will support them just because they worship the actor.
    They have a huge influence because people are willing to give them that. If people don't like what they are saying they are free to not listen to them and to not watch their films.

I really don't get the issue here. There are some shows I don't like, so I don't watch them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    How can you say that? Emma Watson has tweeted that she is standing up for ALL [her emphasis] marginalized people.

I admire her selfless support for paedophile child molesters, murderers, rapists, and genocidal dictators but I do wonder if she fully understands how virtue-signalling that is too inclusive can be counter-productive, and I fear for her career now that she has set herself so far outside the fold.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdqooLBB...ource=ig_embed
    Yeah, because those groups of people are exactly who she's 100% supporting.

ReputationRep:
    Their films are still rather popular and make a shed load of money.
    Box office receipts last year were the lowest for the last 25 years, actually. Maybe the whole industry should concentrate on making original, watchable, films, rather than virtue signalling and pi$$ing off half their potential audience?

http://ew.com/movies/2018/01/02/us-2...west-25-years/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It's a 437 hour long show, who's main points can be condensed to a 3 minute video on YouTube.

Even the people in the audience don't sit through the whole thing.
    Pretty sure the Oscars don't last for 18 days.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't watch it, and fewer and fewer people worldwide ARE watching it. That was my point?
    Me neither. Because I'm not a fan of it. But unlike you if I don't like something, I don't watch it rather than throwing my toys out the pram and trying to be outraged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGuy26)
    Pretty sure the Oscars don't last for 18 days.
    Ever watched the whole thing?

Feels like it.

ReputationRep:
    Me neither. Because I'm not a fan of it. But unlike you if I don't like something, I don't watch it rather than throwing my toys out the pram and trying to be outraged.
    Why don't you take your own advice, then, and not read (let alone contribute to) a thread, the contents of which you don't like?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you take your own advice, then, and not read (let alone contribute to) a thread, the contents of which you don't like?

I have no problem with it, nor do I think you shouldn't assert your view. You seem to be implying that actors shouldn't be allowed to give their opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with it, nor do I think you shouldn't assert your view. You seem to be implying that actors shouldn't be allowed to give their opinion.
    There is a time and a place for everything but the oscars is not it for politics. The amount of interviews, charity events etc that celebs do, than a more appropriate time, not at an awards event for entertainment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Yeah, because those groups of people are exactly who she's 100% supporting.
    Perhaps wizarding actors' dictionaries define the word 'all' in a different way from muggle dictionarties, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    There is a time and a place for everything but the oscars is not it for politics. The amount of interviews, charity events etc that celebs do, than a more appropriate time, not at an awards event for entertainment
    What makes you the arbiter of when and when isn't the time for politics? It's their event and it's their choice.

ReputationRep:
    No, that is to misrepresent my position.

I believe in freedom of speech, it is a core freedom, from which almost all others flow.

These actors have the freedom to speak, but it was an inappropriate context. It was an awards show, it was meant to be entertainment. Not a seminar on intersectionality and transgender as a social construct, at a second rate former Poly.

Edit: An just in case you thought I was exaggerating they actually DID lecture their (mostly, no doubt, mystified) viewers on "intersectionality"!!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html

ReputationRep:
    What makes you the arbiter of when and when isn't the time for politics? It's their event and it's their choice.
    I was just giving a suggestion. In a similar way that football keeps politics out of the game, maybe the Oscars should do the same. If the awards were about celebrating film, tv or music or whatever rather than politics them maybe viewership wouldn't be in decline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    As much as Trump would love to take credit for this, Oscar viewership has been falling for at least four years now. People simply don't care about the ceremony that much anymore.
    it's more of the fact that people don't care much about TV anymore. If it could be streamed online more efficiently, more people would watch it that way. Plus the ceremony is too long, people just don't have the time to sit in front of the TV for four or five hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 27FT)
    it's more of the fact that people don't care much about TV anymore. If it could be streamed online more efficiently, more people would watch it that way. Plus the ceremony is too long, people just don't have the time to sit in front of the TV for four or five hours
    Are you for real? Do you seriously think millions of people are going to log onto the internet to stream Hollywood actors boring on about transgender rights?? To see some star's view on illegal immigration?

It is not the medium, it is the message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    I was just giving a suggestion. In a similar way that football keeps politics out of the game, maybe the Oscars should do the same. If the awards were about celebrating film, tv or music or whatever rather than politics them maybe viewership wouldn't be in decline.
    The reason viewership is in decline seems far more likely to do with TV and film on demand in the form of Netflix and Amazon prime etc. Netflix is wildly popular and that certainly is not apolitical.

The TV and film industry has always covered relevant political and social issues of the day and on many instances has helped change or even shape attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    Are you for real? Do you seriously think millions of people are going to log onto the internet to stream Hollywood actors boring on about transgender rights?? To see some star's view on illegal immigration?

It is not the medium, it is the message.
    Not true. Netflix for example is wildly popular and that has lots of liberal lefty shows that you would despise which are rather popular.

The way people watch TV and film is changing and more people use on demand servers. That's why traditional film and TV is declining a bit.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.