The Student Room Group

Oscar's ratings lowest ever recorded

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it's been considerably more interesting since it became more 'political'. Frankly I have a lot more respect for actors and actresses who use the fame they've garnered to actually do something useful rather than to just do nothing and carry on as normal. I don't think many people are tired of this either; it's a good drive, and it tackles important issues.

There are considerably more likely explanations for the decline in viewing; one being the sheer length, and the fact that, as previously mentioned, you can pick up the highlights easily the next day rather than watching the entire thing.

But all they are doing is spreading hate towards white people, specifically males.
Original post by Maths_English
But all they are doing is spreading hate towards white people, specifically males.

I don't believe that to be the case - the primary drive is against things like sexual harassment, which certainly isn't exclusive to white males. Frankly, it's a little troubling if you consider a drive against sexual harassment, racism, and discrimination to equate to hate against white males.
I don't believe that to be the case - the primary drive is against things like sexual harassment, which certainly isn't exclusive to white males. Frankly, it's a little troubling if you consider a drive against sexual harassment, racism, and discrimination to equate to hate against white males.

A lot of the sexual harassers are still in that room but have been protected due to either their power, minority status (Kobe for example) or because they are women (Oprah constantly "introduced" young women to Harvey).

It isn't what you think it is, all of them knew what was going on and still is going on.
Original post by Maths_English
A lot of the sexual harassers are still in that room but have been protected due to either their power, minority status (Kobe for example) or because they are women (Oprah constantly "introduced" young women to Harvey).

It isn't what you think it is, all of them knew what was going on and still is going on.

That's largely the point of the Time's Up movement, that people knew what was going on and didn't do anything, and that it's still going on. People are pushing for something to be done about it, regardless of gender or minority status.
Original post by DeBruyne18
Not true. Netflix for example is wildly popular and that has lots of liberal lefty shows that you would despise which are rather popular.

The way people watch TV and film is changing and more people use on demand servers. That's why traditional film and TV is declining a bit.

Media consumption IS definitely changing, and the rise of the likes Amazon Prime and Netflix is driving this. (Funny how you don't make the connection of that with the declining rationale for the BBC as a state broadcaster, as we were discussing elsewhere, but that is off the topic of this thread).

But it is really a stretch, even for you liberal lefties, to explain away a drop in ratings this huge, to Netflix. One in five of those, who watched the show last year, decided not to bother this. Something is going on.

Yes, it is way too long, but why was that? Participant after participant gave partisan political speeches that had no relevance to the films or the actors supposedly being celebrated and honoured. None whatsoever.

People want to see glamour, beauty, fashionable frocks (not all black!) and extraordinary talent. They want to be entertained. Not someone giving their views (hardly earth shatteringly original or interesting because they are all the same) on Trump.

Why would the half of America who voted for him, turn on the TV to watch themselves being insulted? Would you in their shoes?

The insularity, the disconnection from the rest of the world shown by these stars, was staggering. This is 50% of their potential audience they are deliberately making themselves being hated by. They may have the talent to act, but when it comes to being smart, not so much.

Not so much.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it's been considerably more interesting since it became more 'political'..

True, you can't.
Original post by generallee
True, you can't.

Granted, but without support for your hypothesis in the OP, nor can you.
That's largely the point of the Time's Up movement, that people knew what was going on and didn't do anything, and that it's still going on. People are pushing for something to be done about it, regardless of gender or minority status.

But that isn't though when they still consider people like Oprah the leaders of it and constantly support the same people that Harvey is guilty of hell I can't remember the mans name but he was kicked out of the academy because he was guilty of the same thing Harvey is and guess what? Most of them including the people in the Times Up movement called for him to be included back into the academy despite the overwhelming evidence against him similar to Harvey.

Look like Harvey sooner or later this will get all exposed and you'll see how much more hypocritical all of them are, they are digging their own graves career wise.
Did they make it even five minutes without mentioning race or making some racist anti white comments? Didn't seem so.
Simple really. It takes way too long. Lots of virtue signalling involved (they are entitled to make a speech, but I, entitled to not care what some rich Hollywood star thinks of Trump) furthermore from a UK perspective it’s on at stupid o clock.
Granted, but without support for your hypothesis in the OP, nor can you.

That the ratings have collapsed year on year is not an hypothesis, though. It is a fact.

Surely if it is now more interesting the ratings would have held, or even increased?
(edited 6 years ago)
Media consumption IS definitely changing, and the rise of the likes Amazon Prime and Netflix is driving this. (Funny how you don't make the connection of that with the declining rationale for the BBC as a state broadcaster, as we were discussing elsewhere, but that is off the topic of this thread).

But it is really a stretch, even for you liberal lefties, to explain away a drop in ratings this huge, to Netflix. One in five of those, who watched the show last year, decided not to bother this. Something is going on.

Yes, it is way too long, but why was that? Participant after participant gave partisan political speeches that had no relevance to the films or the actors supposedly being celebrated and honoured. None whatsoever.

People want to see glamour, beauty, fashionable frocks (not all black!) and extraordinary talent. They want to be entertained. Not someone giving their views (hardly earth shatteringly original or interesting because they are all the same) on Trump.

Why would the half of America who voted for him, turn on the TV to watch themselves being insulted? Would you in their shoes?

The insularity, the disconnection from the rest of the world shown by these stars, was staggering. This is 50% of their potential audience they are deliberately making themselves being hated by. They may have the talent to act, but when it comes to being smart, not so much.

Not so much.

Because it's a boring programme which goes on far too long. I'd rather just look up the winners the next day than send hours and hours watching it.

That and the fact people's attention spans in the digital age are getting worse and worse. No wonder people don't want to spend five hours watching something they can find the results of in 30 seconds.

Also insulting trump is not the same as insulting people who voted for him. I thought you were against this taking offence culture anyway?
Because it's a boring programme which goes on far too long because actors are droning on about feminism and diversity..

FIFY

Also insulting trump is not the same as insulting people who voted for him.

Of course it is.

You will be saying that describing Brexit as a unutterably stupid decision is not to call Brexit voters stupid, next!
That the ratings have collapsed year on year is not an hypothesis, though. It is a fact.

Surely if it is now more interesting the ratings would have held, or even increased?

You rationale for it, however, is opinion.

I've already proposed an alternate for ratings dropping; it's a long show, and year-on-year it's increasingly easy to pick up the highlights the next day, which may explain the lower viewing figures on the night.
You rationale for it, however, is opinion.

I've already proposed an alternate for ratings dropping; it's a long show, and year-on-year it's increasingly easy to pick up the highlights the next day, which may explain the lower viewing figures on the night.

Your alternative rationale isn't very convincing though is it?

It was a long show last year too, and just as easy to pick up the highlights the next day twelve months ago as now. So what would cause one in five to turn off? Especially with all the anecdotal evidence of Trump voters being bored with, and angered by, virtue signalling, holier than thou, Hollywood stars, and the whole campaign against them being waged by Fox News?
http://fortune.com/2018/03/05/oscars-ratings-academy-awards-viewership/

Several possible explanations are advanced but could it be the most obvious?

That millions of Americans are sick and tired of the millionaire Hollywood stars virtue signalling and posturing about Trump, #BlackFrocksMatter, Trump, Diversity, Trump ya de ya?

I want to watch an actor act. They get very well paid for it, and I don't begrudge them a penny. Good for them.

But when they open their mouth and spout politics they make me want to puke. Shut the fcuck up already...

Yeah, it's getting old now.

There are issues, sure - but that's not the place for it in my opinion.

Also can't believe how the Duchess got attacked for not wearing black either
FIFY

Of course it is.

You will be saying that describing Brexit as a unutterably stupid decision is not to call Brexit voters stupid, next!

That's not true at all. I don't doubt that people whether left or right vote for what they feel is the best candidate/ party for the country.

I don't like the Tories at all. My family votes for them, that doesn't mean I don't like or am insulting my family. Just as when they say 'Labour will wreck the economy', they aren't insulting me.

How is saying you think Brexit is bad economically akin to insulting Brexit voters? You really do have a lot in common with left wing sjws. You are constantly looking for ways to be offended and find outrage at everything.
That's not true at all. I don't doubt that people whether left or right vote for what they feel is the best candidate/ party for the country.

I don't like the Tories at all. My family votes for them, that doesn't mean I don't like or am insulting my family. Just as when they say 'Labour will wreck the economy', they aren't insulting me.

How is saying you think Brexit is bad economically akin to insulting Brexit voters? You really do have a lot in common with left wing sjws. You are constantly looking for ways to be offended and find outrage at everything.

That is a very old fashioned view, quaint even. I don't actually have a problem with it in principle, far from it, but it doesn't describe our contemporary political discourse, sadly.

Both here and in the US we are bitterly, viciously divided. It is internecine. More akin to pre civil war situations than mature, balanced democracies.
Your alternative rationale isn't very convincing though is it?

It was a long show last year too, and just as easy to pick up the highlights the next day twelve months ago as now. So what would cause one in five to turn off? Especially with all the anecdotal evidence of Trump voters being bored with, and angered by, virtue signalling, holier than thou, Hollywood stars, and the whole campaign against them being waged by Fox News?

Nor, frankly, is the presumption you've made about it. It's easy to pick it up the next day, and it's on at 1:30am, at least for UK viewers. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't include digital and mobile viewing figures which, again, will be increasing year on year.

All things considered, I don't think Trump voters are particularly the intended audience of the recent political drive, however; at least, not the ones who avoid it on that basis.
Nor, frankly, is the presumption you've made about it. It's easy to pick it up the next day, and it's on at 1:30am, at least for UK viewers. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't include digital and mobile viewing figures which, again, will be increasing year on year.

All things considered, I don't think Trump voters are particularly the intended audience of the recent political drive, however; at least, not the ones who avoid it on that basis.

Here's the thing, it isn't a "political drive" it is an awards show!

There are plenty of appropriate forums for politics. We get more than enough of it on the web, in the papers, on television. It is all over universities, schools even, everywhere.

Now people like you (in the sense that you admit you support this "political drive" ) want to even include sport (with the NFL take a knee movement which also cratered US TV ratings) and the entertainment industry.

Too much. There will be push back. There IS push back. People are turning off, and you can't admit to yourself that they even are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending