Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear SFE,

Can you confirm the following:-
    a) Do you carry out VHI checks on the sponsors prior to confirming the level of student finance available to me?
    b) The houshold income has dropped by more than 15% since tax year 16/17. I understand the main sponsor will be required to complete a CYI for 18/19 so that this can be used for my application. The CYI will be released in April 2018. Can you confirm if this can be sent electronically to SFE to support my appication?
    c) The houshold income has only changed for the main sponsor are both sponsors required to submit a CYI form?
    d) After receipt of the CYI form/s do you write to me or just update my online account with any changes to the level of student finance available to me?
    e) I am applying for grants/bursaries from external providers who use the SFE application process to confirm the house hold income. As the household income level will determine the tier and award amount available to me. Can you confirm or how am i able to determine the house hold hold income after you have carried out your VHI checks on my application?

Kind regards,

Adam.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by aa bb)
    Dear SFE,

Can you confirm the following:-
    a) Do you carry out VHI checks on the sponsors prior to confirming the level of student finance available to me?
    b) The houshold income has dropped by more than 15% since tax year 16/17. I understand the main sponsor will be required to complete a CYI for 18/19 so that this can be used for my application. The CYI will be released in April 2018. Can you confirm if this can be sent electronically to SFE to support my appication?
    c) The houshold income has only changed for the main sponsor are both sponsors required to submit a CYI form?
    d) After receipt of the CYI form/s do you write to me or just update my online account with any changes to the level of student finance available to me?
    e) I am applying for grants/bursaries from external providers who use the SFE application process to confirm the house hold income. As the household income level will determine the tier and award amount available to me. Can you confirm or how am i able to determine the house hold hold income after you have carried out your VHI checks on my application?

Kind regards,

Adam.
    Hi Adam,

A) If you are a new student, we will carry out a VHI check on your sponsors household income.
    B) The CYI form must be sent by post.
    C) Even though the income has only dropped for 1 sponsor, both sponsors are required to complete the CYI form. This is to enable the assessor to compare the overall household income for 16/17 with the overall estimated household income for 2018/19.
    D) After the assessment is carried out on the CYI, if there has been a drop of 15% or more we will reassess your finance and use the new lower figures. You will be sent a new notification of entitlement through the post which you can also see on your online account. Your online entitlement summary and payment schedule will also be updated.
    E) My apologies, I just need a bit further clarification on this one. Do you mean how will the external providers know what the updated household income is after the CYI process is carried out? or do you mean how do you find out what the initial household income is after the first VHI checks?

Thank you,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Adam,

A) If you are a new student, we will carry out a VHI check on your sponsors household income.
    B) The CYI form must be sent by post.
    C) Even though the income has only dropped for 1 sponsor, both sponsors are required to complete the CYI form. This is to enable the assessor to compare the overall household income for 16/17 with the overall estimated household income for 2018/19.
    D) After the assessment is carried out on the CYI, if there has been a drop of 15% or more we will reassess your finance and use the new lower figures. You will be sent a new notification of entitlement through the post which you can also see on your online account. Your online entitlement summary and payment schedule will also be updated.
    E) My apologies, I just need a bit further clarification on this one. Do you mean how will the external providers know what the updated household income is after the CYI process is carried out? or do you mean how do you find out what the initial household income is after the first VHI checks?

Thank you,

John.
    Hi John,
    E) just to clarify, I would appreciate confirmation of the folowing or were I can find this on my online account:
    i) Initial household income after VHI(as this is not stated on my approved SF application letter)?
    ii) Updated household income after CYI process?
    iii) By sharing my SFE application with the named HE facilities they will know my revsed housholdhold income after the CYI process. Is this correct?
    iv) Once I have confimation or know were to find the updated household income after the CYI process is carried out. I can determine which grant/bursaries are available to as these external organistaion do not have access to my shared SFE application but rely on the VHI checks that SFE carryout to cofirm household income.

I hope that clears up any comfusion and look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
    Adam.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by aa bb)
    Hi John,
    E) just to clarify, I would appreciate confirmation of the folowing or were I can find this on my online account:
    i) Initial household income after VHI(as this is not stated on my approved SF application letter)?
    ii) Updated household income after CYI process?
    iii) By sharing my SFE application with the named HE facilities they will know my revsed housholdhold income after the CYI process. Is this correct?
    iv) Once I have confimation or know were to find the updated household income after the CYI process is carried out. I can determine which grant/bursaries are available to as these external organistaion do not have access to my shared SFE application but rely on the VHI checks that SFE carryout to cofirm household income.

I hope that clears up any comfusion and look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
    Adam.
    Hi Adam,

Due to the Data Protection law, you cannot see the household income used in the assessment and we cannot discuss it with you, only with your sponsors.

Once assessed on the household income, your online account will be updated and you will be sent a Notification of Entitlement letter.

Once available, both sponsors then complete the CYI assessment form, even if only one sponsor's income has changed, we need look at the total projected income.

The assessors will then compare the income, if it has dropped by at least fifteen percent you can be confident that you will be reassessed on the lower amount.

We will then update your entitlement online to reflect this and you will receive a new Notification Of Entitlement letter.

As long as both your sponsors and yourself have indicated their consent to share their information with the university, once you are fully, financially assessed by Student Finance England, the university will access this financial information for bursary purposes.

The university will determine the criteria and then you will be advised of your entitlement for the bursary.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Adam,

Due to the Data Protection law, you cannot see the household income used in the assessment and we cannot discuss it with you, only with your sponsors.

Once assessed on the household income, your online account will be updated and you will be sent a Notification of Entitlement letter.

Once available, both sponsors then complete the CYI assessment form, even if only one sponsor's income has changed, we need look at the total projected income.

The assessors will then compare the income, if it has dropped by at least fifteen percent you can be confident that you will be reassessed on the lower amount.

We will then update your entitlement online to reflect this and you will receive a new Notification Of Entitlement letter.

As long as both your sponsors and yourself have indicated their consent to share their information with the university, once you are fully, financially assessed by Student Finance England, the university will access this financial information for bursary purposes.

The university will determine the criteria and then you will be advised of your entitlement for the bursary.

Thanks Rona
    Hi Rona,

Thank you for your reply.

Both my sponsors and myself have consented to our information being shared with the universities named on my application form.

What happens if I am applying to other organisations for bursaries/scholarships outside of the SF application form. As I do not know the household income, how do I know which amount and tier I can claim as these organisations are not named on my SF application and how do they confirm the household income which you have verified?

Kind regards,
    Adam.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by aa bb)
    Hi Rona,

Both my sponsors and myself have consented to our information being shared with the universities named on my application form.

What happens if I am applying to other organisations for bursaries/scholarships outside of the SF application form. As I do not know the household income, how do I know which amount and tier I can claim as these organisations are not named on my SF application and how do they confirm the household income which you have verified?

Kind regards,
    Adam.
    Hi Adam,

When your sponsors provide their household income details, we'll upload the figures onto their account (we'll create an account for them if they've never had one). To then confirm the figures, either the initial figures or the updated figures from the CYI form, they can give us a call and we can confirm the figures and can confirm which figures we have used in the assessment. So we'll be able to tell them which figures are being used (initial figures or CYI figures) and the actual amounts.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Adam,

When your sponsors provide their household income details, we'll upload the figures onto their account (we'll create an account for them if they've never had one). To then confirm the figures, either the initial figures or the updated figures from the CYI form, they can give us a call and we can confirm the figures and can confirm which figures we have used in the assessment. So we'll be able to tell them which figures are being used (initial figures or CYI figures) and the actual amounts.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
    Dear John,

Once the CYI for year 18/19 is released in April 18, I will ask the sponsors to complete and get this sent to you/SFE team. My sposors accounts will then be updated and a revised letter issued to me with any amendments to the level of maintence loan which is available to me. I will then ask my sponsors to contact you to establish the figures used to calculate thehousehold income. This will then allow me to apply for the correct tier and amount of bursaries that are applicable to me from organisation who are not named on my SF application.

Thankyou to the SFE team in answering my questions.

Kind regards

Adam.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by aa bb)
    Hi Rona,

Kind regards,

Adam.
    Hi aa bb,

If you are applying to other organisations for support, they will have their own criteria for determining eligibility, if based on household income they will ask you directly to provide that information

Due to Data Protection laws we cannot discuss your parents financial information that they have provided with you, you would need to discuss this with your parents.

Thanks Rona

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.