Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi im 17 and still in year 12. Im looking for volunteer work in the NHS to do that may have some relevance to the Uni courses I'm aspiring towards (Physiotherapy/Occupational Therapy).I'm not starting Work experience til later on in the year so I need suggestions on Volunteer Work and anything more I can do to aid my future application to Uni.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tmillan)
    Hi im 17 and still in year 12. Im looking for volunteer work in the NHS to do that may have some relevance to the Uni courses I'm aspiring towards (Physiotherapy/Occupational Therapy).I'm not starting Work experience til later on in the year so I need suggestions on Volunteer Work and anything more I can do to aid my future application to Uni.
    Anything that's relevant really or from which you can gain relevant transferable skills. They want to see that you have a realistic idea of what working in the field is like and qualities and skills required.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    https://do-it.org/

Identify similar occupations or tasks that a physio or OT might be involved in. If you cnat get into the NHS then anyone along the care delivery chain is fine as you can understand it from beginning to end.

District nurse at GP
    Charities promoting or concerned with care for any group and giving advice on how to cope. It might be a disease or condition, but you can still see where Physio or OT might be used. Dont just think hospital but look wider. There will also be lots of private physios out there doing things like sports injuries and you can ask for shadowing experience from them. When you get to an interview you can present them with a variety of work experience that shows you understand the differing ways physio is used for people of all ages. That is what I would do if I fund hospital difficult to get into.

Also do your research and find out where the main parts f the physio services are and write to them direct.

ReputationRep:
    I volunteered on a ward at my local hospital. Essentially I’d say anything that comes into contact with people, preferably patients is good. It shows you have an understanding and interest in the healthcare profession. You can gain your understanding about what physios etc do from work experience! Or ask questions here

ReputationRep:
    I’ve been accepted to do OT this September. I volunteered at a local children’s club and a support group for 11-18 year olds. Also observed OT on a hospital ward, in social services & went to an OT ‘taster day’. Hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.