Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am considering reapplying to Cambridge since I was pooled then rejected, I know what I need to do during the gap year. However I feel like I need to do something during the year, what should I apply for/do?
    Otherwise, I was thinking about accepting my offer from Warwick and applying during the first year or doing 3 years then applying for the part 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moz4rt)
    I am considering reapplying to Cambridge since I was pooled then rejected, I know what I need to do during the gap year. However I feel like I need to do something during the year, what should I apply for/do?
    Otherwise, I was thinking about accepting my offer from Warwick and applying during the first year or doing 3 years then applying for the part 3.
    Cambridge don't accept undergraduate applications from students at other British universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So what else could I do during the year?
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Cambridge don't accept undergraduate applications from students at other British universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So what else could I do during the year?
    Studying even harder sums?

Did your feedback from Cambridge specify any weaknesses? If so, can you spend time redressing them?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Studying even harder sums?

Did your feedback from Cambridge specify any weaknesses? If so, can you spend time redressing them?
    The feedback said that:
    -The average person had 8*s at GCSE, but I had only 5 (I don't think this is really an issue)
    -My AS grades were fine
    -It was the pre interview test that let me down (I knew that I didn't do that well in it even though the questions were not that difficult), and my interview was good.

ReputationRep:
    The feedback said that:
    -The average person had 8*s at GCSE, but I had only 5 (I don't think this is really an issue)
    -My AS grades were fine
    -It was the pre interview test that let me down (I knew that I didn't do that well in it even though the questions were not that difficult), and my interview was good.
    A close decision then.

Doonesbury might have some specific suggestions.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The feedback said that:
    -My AS grades were fine
    How do you know your interview was "good"? Did it say that in the feedback?

I might have missed it, but which course was this for?

A close decision then.

Doonesbury might have some specific suggestions.
    Ta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Ta
    Maths.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but he said apply for the part III (masters) after his warwick degree and masters degrees are post graduate. You do need a first from any other UK uni though iirc and yeah it's not automatically getting in since the only people who automatically get into part III have a first in part II at Cambridge.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Maths.
    I couldn't see the thread title on the app. Doh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you know your interview was "good"? Did it say that in the feedback?

I might have missed it, but which course was this for?

Ta
    It said that the interviewers were impressed by my determination and that I did well in some areas (I'm not sure what that referred to though), and the course is maths.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It said that the interviewers were impressed by my determination and that I did well in some areas (I'm not sure what that referred to though), and the course is maths.
    "some areas". Hmm...

Are you going to sit STEP II and III anyway? I think the only reason to reapply is if you get 1,1 or better in STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "some areas". Hmm...

Are you going to sit STEP II and III anyway? I think the only reason to reapply is if you get 1,1 or better in STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going to sit STEP 1 and 2, because I don't think I'll be able to get a 1 or a S in STEP 3 right now, would that make it so that I am less likely to get an offer next year?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm going to sit STEP 1 and 2, because I don't think I'll be able to get a 1 or a S in STEP 3 right now,
    Perhaps that would have been Cambridge's concern too. Why do you think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Yeah but he said apply for the part III (masters) after his warwick degree and masters degrees are post graduate. You do need a first from any other UK uni though iirc and yeah it's not automatically getting in since the only people who automatically get into part III have a first in part II at Cambridge.
    The OP also said they were considering applying during their first year at Warwick. That was the part to which I was replying and also why I specified undergraduate.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps that would have been Cambridge's concern too. Why do you think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've had to teach myself most of the A2 modules since I chose to do modules (m3, fp3, which led to me having to learn most of c3, c4, fp2, m2 by myself) that my school doesn't offer, which meant that I had less time to prepare for STEP and papers that improve my problem solving skills outside of school.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I've had to teach myself most of the A2 modules since I chose to do modules (m3, fp3, which led to me having to learn most of c3, c4, fp2, m2 by myself) that my school doesn't offer, which meant that I had less time to prepare for STEP and papers that improve my problem solving skills outside of school.
    And did you say this in the SAQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The OP also said they were considering applying during their first year at Warwick. That was the part to which I was replying and also why I specified undergraduate.
    Oh yeah cool sorry misinterpreted.

ReputationRep:
    And did you say this in the SAQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only said that I was teaching myself m3, fp3 and that my school doesn't help with STEP papers
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I only said that I was teaching myself m3, fp3 and that my school doesn't help with STEP papers
    Ok, so get yourself 1,1 in STEP I and II, and you'll pretty much guarantee yourself another interview, and reasonably likely an offer...

Good luck

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.