Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone recommend doing both Psychology and Sociology?

ReputationRep:
    They are both essay-based so if you're good at writing then its fine. I know a lot of people who want to do both so consider it, but look at other options too.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by codyann02)
    Does anyone recommend doing both Psychology and Sociology?
    Depends what course you wish to do. Bit samey for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fazzy_77)
    They are both essay-based so if you're good at writing then its fine. I know a lot of people who want to do both so consider it, but look at other options too.
    Okay, thankyou! Do you know if they involve any other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Some people like it due to the overlap - less information to learn and retain and you get to hear it twice (surely that counts as revision?!)
    Others like more variety in their subjects and aren’t a fan of essays
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thankyou! Do you know if they involve any other subjects?
    I've heard that psychology has a bit of math in it.

ReputationRep:
    I did a psychology AS level 3-4yrs ago and there wasn’t any maths really. Yes there was a lot of remembering numbers (e.g. number of participants in studies, year of studies).
    I’m aware that the syllabus changed a couple of years later so it’s possible there is now more maths

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good course to take ?

ReputationRep:
    I want to take psychology, sociology and maybe law not decided on the third yet

ReputationRep:
    I’ve also heard psychology involves more to do with biology and the brain but not to sure I’m doing sociology as gcse

ReputationRep:
    I do both and personally I absolutely love sociology, but I can’t stand psychology. I’d definitely recommend sociology but not psychology but it’s your choice at the end of the day

ReputationRep:
    Why don’t you like psychology may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    Why don’t you like psychology may I ask?
    I don’t like it because I find it so dull. It’s just not my thing. Although I’m good at essays, I hate maths and science and psychology is a bit too close to science for me. Plus I hate both my teachers which never helps

ReputationRep:
    i take both in year 12 and i love it, i find they really compliment each other and sometimes something you’ve learnt in one helps boost your grade in another. you do have to be willing to learn/remember a lot and write a lot of essays though. honestly the maths in psychology isn’t particularly hard, and you get a calculator in your exams anyway, although so far i haven’t seen a single maths-based exam question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Garrix we)
    I don’t like it because I find it so dull. It’s just not my thing. Although I’m good at essays, I hate maths and science and psychology is a bit too close to science for me. Plus I hate both my teachers which never helps
    I found psychology really interesting and wanted to take it to A2 level but I struggled too much with the essay writing.

I think it’s personal choice whether you’ll enjoy it or not - the same as anything really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NMauger96)
    I found psychology really interesting and wanted to take it to A2 level but I struggled too much with the essay writing.

I think it’s personal choice whether you’ll enjoy it or not - the same as anything really!
    To be honest, I might have liked it more if I had teachers who were even slightly enthusiastic about the subject. I just hate all psychology with a passion now unfortunately haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Garrix we)
    To be honest, I might have liked it more if I had teachers who were even slightly enthusiastic about the subject. I just hate all psychology with a passion now unfortunately haha
    That’s such a shame. It’s surprising how much of a teacher’s attitude can impact our ability to learn and be interested. I had really great teachers for psychology and they were more than happy to help with advice and marking exam answers when I resat an exam the year after to improve my grade even though I no longer took the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Current psychology A-level student. Psychology math is so easy it's not worth stressing about. You have to know what mean, mode, median and frequency means. That's literally it, it's less than GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NMauger96)
    That’s such a shame. It’s surprising how much of a teacher’s attitude can impact our ability to learn and be interested. I had really great teachers for psychology and they were more than happy to help with advice and marking exam answers when I resat an exam the year after to improve my grade even though I no longer took the subject.
    Yeah I totally agree with you!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.