The Student Room Group

Tuition fees for EU students starting 2018/2019

I am trying to find information about tuition fees and eligibility for loans for students starting in year 2018/2019. I have looked at the minister's statements regarding this matter:
Statement 11 October 2016 (http://www.slc.co.uk/media/latest-news/eu-nationals-and-student-finance-in-england.aspx) establishes that:
"EU nationals, or their family members, who are assessed as eligible to receive grants and/or loans by the SFE in the 2017/18 Academic Year will be eligible for this support and for home fee status for the duration of their study"
Statement 21 April 2017 (http://www.slc.co.uk/media/latest-news/eu-nationals-and-student-finance-in-england-1.aspx) establishes that:
"EU nationals, or their family members, who are assessed as eligible to receive grants and/or loans by SFE will then be eligible for this support and for home fee status for the duration of their course"
I am not sure about how to interpret the change from "duration of their study" to "duration of the course".
Does this mean that I will only be eligible for support and for home fee status on my first year (currently I have been offered a position in Liverpool University, for a MEng which is four years). What will happen then in my second, third and fourth years?
Thanks in advance.
Original post by payla
I am trying to find information about tuition fees and eligibility for loans for students starting in year 2018/2019. I have looked at the minister's statements regarding this matter:
Statement 11 October 2016 (http://www.slc.co.uk/media/latest-news/eu-nationals-and-student-finance-in-england.aspx) establishes that:
"EU nationals, or their family members, who are assessed as eligible to receive grants and/or loans by the SFE in the 2017/18 Academic Year will be eligible for this support and for home fee status for the duration of their study"
Statement 21 April 2017 (http://www.slc.co.uk/media/latest-news/eu-nationals-and-student-finance-in-england-1.aspx) establishes that:
"EU nationals, or their family members, who are assessed as eligible to receive grants and/or loans by SFE will then be eligible for this support and for home fee status for the duration of their course"
I am not sure about how to interpret the change from "duration of their study" to "duration of the course".
Does this mean that I will only be eligible for support and for home fee status on my first year (currently I have been offered a position in Liverpool University, for a MEng which is four years). What will happen then in my second, third and fourth years?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Payla,

This means that if you're eligible for home funding in the first year of the course you'll still be eligible for funding for the rest of the course because you'll be a returning student.

If you become a new student again, for example, you withdraw from your course and start a new course, then you're eligibility would be affected and you may then be ineligible to receive home funding.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 2
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Payla,

This means that if you're eligible for home funding in the first year of the course you'll still be eligible for funding for the rest of the course because you'll be a returning student.

If you become a new student again, for example, you withdraw from your course and start a new course, then you're eligibility would be affected and you may then be ineligible to receive home funding.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

Yes it does. I was confused by the change of terminology from "duration of your studies" to "duration of the course". I was not sure course meant "academic course = academic year" or "degree", but your answer is clear in the sense that if I do not change my degree I will keep the same options during the four years. Thanks in advance, this is exactly what I needed to know.
Original post by payla
Yes it does. I was confused by the change of terminology from "duration of your studies" to "duration of the course". I was not sure course meant "academic course = academic year" or "degree", but your answer is clear in the sense that if I do not change my degree I will keep the same options during the four years. Thanks in advance, this is exactly what I needed to know.

You're very welcome Payla, glad to clear that up.

Best wishes,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending