Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I want to become a parachute regiment soldier, I need to run 1.5 miles in under 10 minutes (junior entry ) currently I can only do it in around 14 minutes. I only have 3 months top to shave atleast 4 minutes off. I’ll be running on a treadmill and can train 7 days a week. 3 months ago I couldn’t run for longer than 2 minutes so I’ve improved greatly. Any advice / tips / training programs ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcerfhjejej)
    Hi. I want to become a parachute regiment soldier, I need to run 1.5 miles in under 10 minutes (junior entry ) currently I can only do it in around 14 minutes. I only have 3 months top to shave atleast 4 minutes off. I’ll be running on a treadmill and can train 7 days a week. 3 months ago I couldn’t run for longer than 2 minutes so I’ve improved greatly. Any advice / tips / training programs ?
    Get off the treadmill, get outside.
    Use HIIT.
    Go for longer slower runs, shorter faster runs.
    Don't run everyday.

ReputationRep:
    My assessment centre run test will be done on a treadmill so I’d like to train as much as possible on treadmill to prepare for that . If I pass that then I’ll train outside of course because that’s what I’ll be doing at stage 1 training how many times a week should I train? How many HIIT sessions, short fast runs, long slow runs per week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcerfhjejej)
    My assessment centre run test will be done on a treadmill so I’d like to train as much as possible on treadmill to prepare for that . If I pass that then I’ll train outside of course because that’s what I’ll be doing at stage 1 training how many times a week should I train? How many HIIT sessions, short fast runs, long slow runs per week?
    Do both anyway. Training outside will get you fitter faster, it'll help you get faster, it'll make you a better runner. Yes, you do your first test on a treadmill, but that's the easy bit - unless you're fast enough to cope with the test it won't matter how you're doing it.

Aim for at least 5 days a week, try to run twice if possible; early morning and later in the day. How you split them is your call.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, I have got the similar issue with myself pushing over the 14min limit. The best way to improve it is to go outside and run as much as you can.

ReputationRep:
    Get outside!! Treadmills aren't great for training. One, because there is very little variation... you run at a consistent speed, and two, you're at a constant elevation and three, treadmills are very soft running. This does not give an accurate image of the aches and pains in the knees that you might experience on the road. On the road/outside, there's not really any way to know your elevation or pace at all times.

In terms of getting your time down, attempting to shave 4 minutes off in 3 months will be pretty difficult, especially as you only run treadmill (or that's what appears to be the case). Work on your cadence - if you have a long stride, try and reduce this. Work smarter, not harder. Also, ensure you're eating enough to sustain your training.

Also, let's not forget about the British weather. On the treadmill you have nothing to contend with. No rain, no wind, no cold etc. Whatever the weather conditions, train outside on a run. Don't let the pissin rain stop you training. The Paras won't stop because of a bit of rain, so you shouldn't either.

My best advice at the moment is as previously mentioned, get out, get yourself a good pair of running shoes and get on the road. Aim for a time you can sustain. If you need it, take a break, but as time goes on, rule these out and run from start to finish without stopping. You'll be able to crack the run.

Make sure you're in the right frame of mind too, you seem like you are.

How are your other areas looking?

Good luck mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Do both anyway. Training outside will get you fitter faster, it'll help you get faster, it'll make you a better runner. Yes, you do your first test on a treadmill, but that's the easy bit - unless you're fast enough to cope with the test it won't matter how you're doing it.

Aim for at least 5 days a week, try to run twice if possible; early morning and later in the day. How you split them is your call.
    As you're not an avid runner at the moment, I would avoid this much volume. It will inevitably lead to injury going from 0-100.

I would suggest running fewer times a week but mixed in with some non-impact cardio (cross-trainer, bike, swimming). HOWEVER, you have to ensure that you're progressing, so perhaps run 3 times a week - one 5-10k, one HIIT, one 1.5miler and make sure that you beat your previous time, every time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EconWarrior)
    As you're not an avid runner at the moment, I would avoid this much volume. It will inevitably lead to injury going from 0-100.

I would suggest running fewer times a week but mixed in with some non-impact cardio (cross-trainer, bike, swimming). HOWEVER, you have to ensure that you're progressing, so perhaps run 3 times a week - one 5-10k, one HIIT, one 1.5miler and make sure that you beat your previous time, every time.
    I second this. I recently started attending spinning classes. As much as they are full of old people, it will work wonders for overall fitness levels.

ReputationRep:
    abcer,

Losing 4 mins from your 1.5 Mile time will be very difficult in the timeframe you have available. However, here's what I'd suggest:

1) Get off the treadmill and start running outside. Yes, the test is on the treadmill - but your Para Reg training is not going to be in an air-conditioned gym. Stop thinking about the selection procedure, and start focussing on the long term goal.

2) For your level of fitness, the 1.5 Mile test is an endurance test. To significantly improve your time you need to improve your aerobic efficiency. While it might seem counter-intuitive, this needs lots of long, steady running. Not repeated 1.5 mile runs. Find yourself a 10km running programme and follow it - it'll build an aerobic base that you can then sharpen with speed and hill work.

3) Run with others. Join a running club, triathlon club or similar. Running with faster and fitter runners will push you on. Running in a pack will make things easier. You'll probably also get some free coaching and sensible advice.

4) Train for all over body strength. If your going Para Reg, then I would get really comfortable with circuit training. Lots and lots of press-ups, sit-ups, heaves to the bar and other bodyweight exercises. There's no point just concentrating on the 1.5 mile run and neglecting your overall strength and conditioning. Firstly, you'll make yourself prone to injury - secondly, you will just struggle when you move on to running with weight, stretchers etc.

Hope that helps, let us know how the training progresses.

Andy

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.