Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it too late for me to receive atleast A*AA? watch

Announcements

My grades for my last mocks were B for biology and maths and a U for chemistry.Is it possible for me to still do well?My main reason for not doing so well is because I have poor mental health.I feel like it is too late for me and there is no point doing anything about it.I have been struggling quite some time with depression but on waiting list for therapy for couple months as they don't want to prescribe medicine. I always dreamed of doing medicine and I feel like it is too late for me now I know I have a year and a half till the real exams but I have such big gaps in my knowledge and I revise little because I don't feel good mentally and my school is providing no support despite my parents and doctors writing multiple emails.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My grades for my last mocks were B for biology and maths and a U for chemistry.Is it possible for me to still do well?My main reason for not doing so well is because I have poor mental health.I feel like it is too late for me and there is no point doing anything about it.I have been struggling quite some time with depression but on waiting list for therapy for couple months as they don't want to prescribe medicine. I always dreamed of doing medicine and I feel like it is too late for me now I know I have a year and a half till the real exams but I have such big gaps in my knowledge and I revise little because I don't feel good mentally and my school is providing no support despite my parents and doctors writing multiple emails.
    Quite tricky as I dont know the extent of your mh issues. If you didnt have them, then you could catch up.

As you know Medicine school are quite serious on A levels having to be completed in a 2 year window.

I would say check with them and if for medical reasons you were forced to withdraw before you sat exams, then would they count that as a year and this preclude you from starting fresh when you got better?

If they say yes, then do it and leave maybe for restart f year 12 or longer. Till you get better.

If they say no, then you have enough time, but it requires you to sort out your MH and you will be studying all over summer. If you dont then your chances are much diminished.

Exercise helps a lot plus having a positive social life.

ReputationRep:
    Just putting it out there as a suggestion... why not take a gap year? You can work ,get some money and perhaps retake a subject. So if you focus this year on maths and bio mext year you can take chem? It seems like a big decision a whole year 'behind' but fast forward 10 years and you may realise its for the better

(Original post by Econowizard)
    Just putting it out there as a suggestion... why not take a gap year? You can work ,get some money and perhaps retake a subject. So if you focus this year on maths and bio mext year you can take chem? It seems like a big decision a whole year 'behind' but fast forward 10 years and you may realise its for the better
    My school doesn’t allow people to retake a year or provide anything that would allow me to do this. Neither would my parents.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a private clinic and arrange an appointment with a psychologist or a counsellor. You'll have to pay but you won't have to wait as long. Mh problems need to be nipped in the bud before exams if you want A*AA/AAA for medicine. Have you read the GMC's fitness to practice guidelines?

You have 60 days. If you spend 5 hours a day studying thats 5 x 60 which is 300 hours. More than enough time for top grades. Its all on your shoulders. (BTW if you think thats bad you should see how long indians study to prepare for the JEE)

ReputationRep:
    My school doesn’t allow people to retake a year or provide anything that would allow me to do this. Neither would my parents.
    There is more than one sixth form out there and im sure your parents would be open minded or atleast willing to discuss it as an option

(Original post by rickyrossman)
    Go to a private clinic and arrange an appointment with a psychologist or a counsellor. You'll have to pay but you won't have to wait as long. Mh problems need to be nipped in the bud before exams if you want A*AA/AAA for medicine. Have you read the GMC's fitness to practice guidelines?

You have 60 days. If you spend 5 hours a day studying thats 5 x 60 which is 300 hours. More than enough time for top grades. Its all on your shoulders. (BTW if you think thats bad you should see how long indians study to prepare for the JEE)
    I am going to a private psychiatrist as the NHS psychiatrist don't want to prescribe anything and therapy is a 3-month waiting list.I saw a psychologist privately twice but theraphy is too expensive and takes too long.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.