Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I’m a year 12 student and currently studying biology , chemistry and maths .
    Last year for my GCSEs I got 2A*s 4As 4Bs and a distinction in the English speaking exam. my goal for a very long time is to become a successful doctor . However , recently I have been feeling really low because my GCSEs aren’t great for a medical applicant. That being said I think I’m doing well as of now so hopefully I can get really good AS grades this year as well as a good ukcat score. But I have been told by a few people that my GCSEs are not brilliant enough so I shouldn’t bother and that has put me down a lot. It would be nice if I can get any advice as well as words of encouragement because encouraging myself after being put down has been difficult.
    Thank you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    "I constantly remind myself that I'm going to do die one day to escape the illusion of thinking I have something to lose"-Can't remember who said that it, but yeah, go for it man, who cares what people think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student_57)
    Last year for my GCSEs I got 2A*s 4As 4Bs and a distinction in the English speaking exam. my goal for a very long time is to become a successful doctor . However , recently I have been feeling really low because my GCSEs aren’t great for a medical applicant. That being said I think I’m doing well as of now so hopefully I can get really good AS grades this year as well as a good ukcat score. But I have been told by a few people that my GCSEs are not brilliant enough so I shouldn’t bother and that has put me down a lot. It would be nice if I can get any advice as well as words of encouragement because encouraging myself after being put down has been difficult.
    Thank you
    I know people who have gotten into medicine with worst GCSEs. The people who tell you that you shouldn't bother clearly aren't a group of people you should interact with as they just put you down. There are a bunch of UNIs that have low GCSE requirements for medicine e.g. Imperial, Newcastle etc. You just have to do well in your A-levels and the relative tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    "I constantly remind myself that I'm going to do die one day to escape the illusion of thinking I have something to lose"-Can't remember who said that it, but yeah, go for it man, who cares what people think.
    Thank you very much and great quote! Have a nice week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LLearnt)
    I know people who have gotten into medicine with worst GCSEs. The people who tell you that you shouldn't bother clearly aren't a group of people you should interact with as they just put you down. There are a bunch of UNIs that have low GCSE requirements for medicine e.g. Imperial, Newcastle etc. You just have to do well in your A-levels and the relative tests.
    Yes I’ve been putting in the effort in order to get really good grades and I will continue to do so. I will certainly look in to those unis . Thank you very much and have a nice week

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    Your GCSEs are good enough
    Don’t listen to your friends. Your predicted grades matter so don’t be put down if you’re doing terrible. I was on D/E grades this time last year and now im in a much better position.
    Honestly just keep working, ignore the negativity, a bunch of words muttered from your friends mouths shouldn’t affect you. If you do have qualities of a Doctor you’ll want to prove everyone wrong wouldn’t you? Because thats what doctors do, break boundaries :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    Your GCSEs are good enough
    Don’t listen to your friends. Your predicted grades matter so don’t be put down if you’re doing terrible. I was on D/E grades this time last year and now im in a much better position.
    Honestly just keep working, ignore the negativity, a bunch of words muttered from your friends mouths shouldn’t affect you. If you do have qualities of a Doctor you’ll want to prove everyone wrong wouldn’t you? Because thats what doctors do, break boundaries :cool:
    Yass totally ! I know I was quite shocked when they said that. That’s great well done ! Did you apply for this year?

Thank you very much btw

ReputationRep:
    Yass totally ! I know I was quite shocked when they said that. That’s great well done ! Did you apply for this year?

Thank you very much btw
    Yes i applied for this year. No problem.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at GCSE 's is often a final resort for university's. As long as you have a solid CV, good A levels grades and do well in bmat and/or UKcat, you definitely have a good chance of becoming a doctor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally130)
    Looking at GCSE 's is often a final resort for university's. As long as you have a solid CV, good A levels grades and do well in bmat and/or UKcat, you definitely have a good chance of becoming a doctor
    Thank you and I will be taking the ukcat exam hopefully in the summer . Have a nice week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    Yes i applied for this year. No problem.
    Did you get any offers ? congratulations though !

ReputationRep:
    Did you get any offers ? congratulations though !
    No offers yet

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and I will be taking the ukcat exam hopefully in the summer . Have a nice week
    You too, i'm glad i could help

ReputationRep:
    If you do well in your A-levels, your GCSEs will mean nothing to any sane employer or university.

I still can't get over the fact that people have told you 2A*'s and 4 A's isn't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchm_)
    If you do well in your A-levels, your GCSEs will mean nothing to any sane employer or university.

I still can't get over the fact that people have told you 2A*'s and 4 A's isn't good enough.
    Yes that’s the point I made but I suppose they were quite envious of my effort and ambitions . Thank you ! Have a nice weekend

ReputationRep:
    Of course you should bother if that's what you want to do.
    Just be tactical about where you apply to, only some Universities will put a heavy weight on your GCSE results I know birmingham require a minimum of 6 or 7 A*'s. However you'll meet the entry requirements at the vast majority of medical schools and with medical applicants GCSE aren't often a deciding factor when considering your application. So as long as you get a decent score on the UKCAT/BMAT. Followed by good A level results/ predictions. Also most importantly Universities will want to see a reason for giving you a place, so it's key to try to gain as much work experience/ shadowing or anything which really makes you stand out and shows your commitment and drive to medicine.

Again your GCSE's really aren't that bad, yes medicine is competitive and there's a fair few that'll have better grades than you. However in the grand scheme of things it's a little part of the pie and you can easily make yourself more competitive by doing the above.

Lastly if you find yourself not gaining any offers but you receive excellent A level results you could always apply for a foundation year. It's just the beginning and a long road ahead awaits so keeping jumping over one hurdle at a time and I'm sure you'll make it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    Of course you should bother if that's what you want to do.
    Just be tactical about where you apply to, only some Universities will put a heavy weight on your GCSE results I know birmingham require a minimum of 6 or 7 A*'s. However you'll meet the entry requirements at the vast majority of medical schools and with medical applicants GCSE aren't often a deciding factor when considering your application. So as long as you get a decent score on the UKCAT/BMAT. Followed by good A level results/ predictions. Also most importantly Universities will want to see a reason for giving you a place, so it's key to try to gain as much work experience/ shadowing or anything which really makes you stand out and shows your commitment and drive to medicine.

Again your GCSE's really aren't that bad, yes medicine is competitive and there's a fair few that'll have better grades than you. However in the grand scheme of things it's a little part of the pie and you can easily make yourself more competitive by doing the above.

Lastly if you find yourself not gaining any offers but you receive excellent A level results you could always apply for a foundation year. It's just the beginning and a long road ahead awaits so keeping jumping over one hurdle at a time and I'm sure you'll make it
    I think Birmingham and Cardiff are GCSEs heavy unis. as you said I need to be tactical about where I apply ! So thank you very much ! Have a nice weekend .

ReputationRep:
    I think Birmingham and Cardiff are GCSEs heavy unis. as you said I need to be tactical about where I apply ! So thank you very much ! Have a nice weekend .
    You've got this, good luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.