Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know best way to gain paid/unpaid work experience in social work at uni/college to stand out?
    Thank you!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lukem14)
    Anyone know best way to gain paid/unpaid work experience in social work at uni/college to stand out?
    Thank you!!!
    By looking for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    By looking for it!
    Obviously I mean what kind of work
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Obviously I mean what kind of work
    Anything that's relevant or from which you will gain relevant skills. What kind of what are you interested in? You will/should do some research around what social work is and what jobs a social worker can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Anything that's relevant or from which you will gain relevant skills. What kind of what are you interested in? You will/should do some research around what social work is and what jobs a social worker can do.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!!!
    I do the Social Work degree, and before I started I did volunteering in an elderly home, and in primary schools. They don't specifically look for volunteering in the social work setting, as you have to be 18 and fully DBS checked. Also, during the degree you will do two placements within the social work setting so i wouldn't worry about that. (I did child protection and a mental health team)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you!!!
    Hi there,

It's great that you're looking for work experience it can certainly help you in terms of future employment.

Although direct experience is great, try to think outside the box as to what is also going to help you build your transferable skills that will still be relevant for social work:

• excellent communication and listening skills
    • the ability to build working relationships with families, groups and professionals
    • tact and understanding
    • the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
    • problem solving and report writing skills
    • the ability to make decisions and use your professional judgement
    • administration and organisational skills
    • IT skills

Any care based position will go a long way, or any community volunteering that you can get involved with where you are support young people, families or the elderly.

Try www.do-it.org to find local volunteering opportunities or https://volunteeringmatters.org.uk/

I hope this helps!

Best of luck - Sophie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiggywoo)
    I do the Social Work degree, and before I started I did volunteering in an elderly home, and in primary schools. They don't specifically look for volunteering in the social work setting, as you have to be 18 and fully DBS checked. Also, during the degree you will do two placements within the social work setting so i wouldn't worry about that. (I did child protection and a mental health team)
    (Original post by National Careers Service)
    Hi there,

It's great that you're looking for work experience it can certainly help you in terms of future employment.

Although direct experience is great, try to think outside the box as to what is also going to help you build your transferable skills that will still be relevant for social work:

• excellent communication and listening skills
    • the ability to build working relationships with families, groups and professionals
    • tact and understanding
    • the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
    • problem solving and report writing skills
    • the ability to make decisions and use your professional judgement
    • administration and organisational skills
    • IT skills

Any care based position will go a long way, or any community volunteering that you can get involved with where you are support young people, families or the elderly.

Try www.do-it.org to find local volunteering opportunities or https://volunteeringmatters.org.uk/

I hope this helps!

Best of luck - Sophie.
    Thank you

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.