Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm having trouble finding how to revise for my GCSEs. What techniques do you use for your subjects and do you have any tips for me?
    Thanks x

PP Questions

It really depends on the subject and on you.
    What subjects do you do?

Maths English Science Food and nutrition Computer Science Business Spanish Thanks for your help!

I find the most important thing for revision is to test yourself as often as possible. Apparently this is the most effective way of making your brain remember, as it forces the brain to engage (which you have to do much less when reading / writing notes). Whenever I'm learning a topic, I try and write quizzes as I go, and then each week do a few questions from these quizzes. Means I can see which areas I struggle the most with or am failing to remember. There are also quite a few sites online you can use for testing, which can be useful.

Also, I think it's good to see teh information in a range of different ways, as it becomes more memorable and more understandable. Instead of just using one medium (eg revision guide), try and use youtube videos, podcasts, online lesson resources (eg think BBC bitesize). I find this super helpful

As I have previously done GCSEs, here are the best advise that I have for you:

Create a revision timetable[*]When revising, focus mainly on what you struggle on[*]Take regular study breaks[*]Create flashcards[*]
    Use mind maps to connect ideas
    Get past papers from the internet (if you are doing AQA English papers then search AQA GCSE English papers)
    On the day of your exam, you can minimise your anxiety by avoiding panicking friends and giving yourself plenty of time to get to where the exam is taking place on time. [*]Don't try to cram information at last minute as you will forget everything that have learnt in your lessons and you will not remember any of the new information[*]Get apps that for students (for example SAM Learning and MyMaths)
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.