Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cant be vegan because of family... watch

Announcements

I come from a non-vegan family and I have done a lot of research about veganism and becoming a vegan. The problem is that it's very hard in my household to practice this lifestyle because my family aren't vegans. My family drink regular milk, eat dairy, poultry etc. It's so difficult! I've asked my mum to start adding Almond/Coconut milk in the shopping list and vegan foods, but she doesn't really listen. What do I do? Also, im only in high school, so I cant get money to buy my own things and stuff.

Why the f*** would you want to become vegan???? What is wrong with you?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Hope I'm not too late but would just like to say that it's very mature of you to make such a positive decision at a young age. I went vegan during highschool and I was the only one in my family. It seems difficult at first but you naturally and eventually get used to it. I suggest watching enough documentaries/educating yourself more on veganism, in terms of for your own health and the ethics concerning the animals and the environment. That way you'll be more informed and more likely to have a strong transformation.

This is obviously something your family will have to adjust to. I think it'll help if you explain to them why you feel this is a better choice for you and that you are no longer happy to eat animal products. Probably show them documentaries? They can't force you to eat food you don't want. Some parents eventually settle on the idea that you've become vegan and I guess feel compelled to buy you alternatives when they see you no longer consume these products. However, seeing as this is your decision I think it's a good idea to research the foods that you'll need to buy as a vegan just so your parents are more informed and don't feel so fearful as it's just a matter of knowing where and how to start.

I personally started off by adding alternatives such as coconut milk in the shopping trolley when we did our shopping and slowly eased vegan food products weekly as a transition! i guess it's different for every family though

Hope all goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howinteresting)
    Hey,

Hope I'm not too late but would just like to say that it's very mature of you to make such a positive decision at a young age. I went vegan during highschool and I was the only one in my family. It seems difficult at first but you naturally and eventually get used to it. I suggest watching enough documentaries/educating yourself more on veganism, in terms of for your own health and the ethics concerning the animals and the environment. That way you'll be more informed and more likely to have a strong transformation.

This is obviously something your family will have to adjust to. I think it'll help if you explain to them why you feel this is a better choice for you and that you are no longer happy to eat animal products. Probably show them documentaries? They can't force you to eat food you don't want. Some parents eventually settle on the idea that you've become vegan and I guess feel compelled to buy you alternatives when they see you no longer consume these products. However, seeing as this is your decision I think it's a good idea to research the foods that you'll need to buy as a vegan just so your parents are more informed and don't feel so fearful as it's just a matter of knowing where and how to start.

I personally started off by adding alternatives such as coconut milk in the shopping trolley when we did our shopping and slowly eased vegan food products weekly as a transition! i guess it's different for every family though

Hope all goes well
    howinteresting

ReputationRep:
    you should go shopping with your mum to make sure she puts the almond or coconut milk in the trolley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I come from a non-vegan family and I have done a lot of research about veganism and becoming a vegan. The problem is that it's very hard in my household to practice this lifestyle because my family aren't vegans. My family drink regular milk, eat dairy, poultry etc. It's so difficult! I've asked my mum to start adding Almond/Coconut milk in the shopping list and vegan foods, but she doesn't really listen. What do I do? Also, im only in high school, so I cant get money to buy my own things and stuff.
    Pretend to be lactose intolerant personally I said I was uncomfortable drinking cows milk and we save money with soya milk as I don’t drink it as much. I actually used Lent to get my grandfather to let me go vegan, saying I wanted to ‘try it out before uni’. I cooked for myself and proved to him I was far healthier, stress free and that it was cheaper (cooking from scratch not processed foods). The main thing is to show them it isn’t expensive as that’s a general worry and that it doesn’t take up too much time and effort. They’re your family so be brutally honest and upfront about what you want.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.