Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm hoping to apply to Edinburgh next year. I go to a state (i.e. not private) sixth form which is fairly high-average achieving. During my GCSE's, a series of personal circumstances resulting in me finishing with only 7 GCSE's (2 A's, 1 B, 1 B-C, 3C's). None of these were in a language. While my circumstances impacted, there is no way I can get any official letter to prove this as Social Services or an organisation of its kin were never officially involved. I am aiming to get 3 A's at A-Level and apply for History MA (or History and Politics - whichever is less competitive, tbh). While friends tell me I should, I have strong doubt of my chances of getting in, as my GCSE's are nowhere near those of the average competitive university applicant and I read on the official FAQ page that failure to have a foreign language at GCSE results in immediate rejection.
    Is there really any point in me applying? Do I realistically have a chance?
    tl;dr - Does a state school girl with average-ish GCSE's and decent predicted A Level grades have a realistic shot at getting in?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by notveryclever)
    Hello! I'm hoping to apply to Edinburgh next year. I go to a state (i.e. not private) sixth form which is fairly high-average achieving. During my GCSE's, a series of personal circumstances resulting in me finishing with only 7 GCSE's (2 A's, 1 B, 1 B-C, 3C's). None of these were in a language. While my circumstances impacted, there is no way I can get any official letter to prove this as Social Services or an organisation of its kin were never officially involved. I am aiming to get 3 A's at A-Level and apply for History MA (or History and Politics - whichever is less competitive, tbh). While friends tell me I should, I have strong doubt of my chances of getting in, as my GCSE's are nowhere near those of the average competitive university applicant and I read on the official FAQ page that failure to have a foreign language at GCSE results in immediate rejection.
    Is there really any point in me applying? Do I realistically have a chance?
    tl;dr - Does a state school girl with average-ish GCSE's and decent predicted A Level grades have a realistic shot at getting in?
    Your GCSEs are fine. It's not Oxford (or Cambridge) where your GCSEs matter A LOT.

A-Levels matter A LOT more.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 6, 2018

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.