The Student Room Group

Mo Farah claims he was racially harassed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/43308999

EDITED: yes I can see a potential case for harassment here having watched it numerous times, but I fail to see where racism comes into it.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You forgot the 'Sir' in front of his name
Reply 2
Original post by Andrew97

Just airport security doing their job.

Do yourself a favour, watch the video. Zero justification for that security guard to push someone around when they're just walking through the terminal.
Original post by Drewski
Do yourself a favour, watch the video. Zero justification for that security guard to push someone around when they're just walking through the terminal.

Pushing may have been a bit excessive, maybe the guard should have asked him to stop filming. But there’s no indication of racism.
Reply 4
Pushing may have been a bit excessive, maybe the guard should have asked him to stop filming. But there’s no indication of racism.

Why else single him out? What was it about Mo Farah that would cause extra attention?
Who is that at all?
Original post by Drewski
Why else single him out? What was it about Mo Farah that would cause extra attention?

I suspect it’s something to do with the fact he was filming. But we need to hear the security guards side of the story.
Reply 7
I suspect it’s something to do with the fact he was filming. But we need to hear the security guards side of the story.

In the middle of the terminal? Where is that ever standard practise?
And if that was the case, why was he just telling Farah to go to the gate, and pushing him off, rather than saying "don't film here", or "you're not allowed to film here"?
Original post by Drewski
In the middle of the terminal? Where is that ever standard practise?
And if that was the case, why was he just telling Farah to go to the gate, and pushing him off, rather than saying "don't film here", or "you're not allowed to film here"?

Some airports don’t like people filming in them, I don’t know if this is one of them. I don’t know the answer to the second question. But clearly Farah had a bee in his bonnet before hand about being “touched up”. I’m always searched by hand at the airport.
Reply 9
I’m always searched by hand at the airport.

I highly doubt that ever happens when you're walking around duty free...
Original post by Drewski
I highly doubt that ever happens when you're walking around duty free...

There was no indication he was.
There was no indication he was.

Go watch the video. He's in front of shops.
Original post by Drewski
Go watch the video. He's in front of shops.

That’s when he makes the video and is pushed, the touching up he referred to happened beforehand.
That’s when he makes the video and is pushed, the touching up he referred to happened beforehand.

And continues to be manhandled in the video. By the same guard, because he's looking round for him.
Reply 14

Just airport security doing their job.

It is sad to see Mo Farah inconvenienced and harassed like this, but I don't see racism as a definite cause?
Original post by Drewski
And continues to be manhandled in the video. By the same guard, because he's looking round for him.

Do you know for sure that’s the same guard? Yes he’s looking around but it may not be for the guy in the video.
Some airports don’t like people filming in them, I don’t know if this is one of them. I don’t know the answer to the second question. But clearly Farah had a bee in his bonnet before hand about being “touched up”. I’m always searched by hand at the airport.

What an absolute farce of an argument, how you can justify this is beyond me?
Do you know for sure that’s the same guard? Yes he’s looking around but it may not be for the guy in the video.

He's looking around and expecting him to come back at him.

Yes, it's harassment, yes it's unjust. You're just trying to make excuses now.
Original post by Drewski
He's looking around and expecting him to come back at him.

Yes, it's harassment, yes it's unjust. You're just trying to make excuses now.

I am willing to accept it is over the top by the security guard, but it’s the racism arguement which I’m mainly against.
Maybe the guard was upset by the number of bottles of Eau De Sentiment de Droit that Mo may have been carrying in his duty free shoulder bag.

Quick Reply

Latest