The Student Room Group

Mo Farah claims he was racially harassed.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The PoliticalGuy
What an absolute farce of an argument, how you can justify this is beyond me?

I wasn’t trying to justify it, although I accept it may have come across this way.
I'd be inclined to take Sir Mo at his word as to this being racial harassment even leaving aside the footage. He doesn't have any history of falsely claiming 'oppression' etc as far as I'm aware. He quite happily dressed up in top hat and tails and accepted his knighthood without raising 'racial issues', and that was right in the middle of the whole Colin Kaepernick thing.
Some woman on the bus got kicked off yesterday, started yelling racism.

Woteva.
Original post by Andrew97
I am willing to accept it is over the top by the security guard, but it’s the racism arguement which I’m mainly against.

Got much experience with being singled out due to your race to know how it feels?

I'm inclined to trust the guy who's lived with it all his life...
I am willing to accept it is over the top by the security guard, but it’s the racism arguement which I’m mainly against.

What reason do you have to assume Mo was lying? He doesn’t have a past of falsely accusing people of racism, I don’t see any reason to think he’s doing so now?
Original post by cat_mac
What reason do you have to assume Mo was lying? He doesn’t have a past of falsely accusing people of racism, I don’t see any reason to think he’s doing so now?

The video just shows an altercation with as far as I can see no indication of racism. Harrasment, there is a case for that.
I think he might be overreacting slightly more than outright lying.
(edited 6 years ago)
Pretty obvious racism here, you can deny deny deny or you can just see it for what it is.

Saying "we need to here the guard's point of view" is an easy deflection, knowing full well such a thing will never arise.
The video just shows an altercation with as far as I can see .

See harder.
I need to make myself clear.

There is potentially a harassment case with the Guard pushing Farah. However I personally cannot see racism, then only evidence we have is the video in which the guard pushes him along and Farah complains about a previous incident of touching up without giving anymore details about it. So I’m not accusing him of lying, rather more like being slightly over the top. The security guard should have not pushed him, and should have instead asked him to stop filming (if that is airport policy) and move along.
The video just shows an altercation with as far as I can see no indication of racism. Harrasment, there is a case for that.

But the person it happened to did see indication of racism, the person who has knowledge of what happened before during and after the video. If all we had was a video then I would agree, but the video isn’t all there is to consider. A respected man who has no history of deceit said it was racially motivated harassment, and without anything to indicate that he is lying i’m inclined to believe him.
Original post by cat_mac
But the person it happened to did see indication of racism, the person who has knowledge of what happened before during and after the video. If all we had was a video then I would agree, but the video isn’t all there is to consider. A respected man who has no history of deceit said it was racially motivated harassment, and without anything to indicate that he is lying i’m inclined to believe him.

I agree with you he is a respected man and I am willing to believe he was harassed, I just personally don’t see that racism is the reason for this. If he provides more evidence then I would be willing to change my mind and yes naturally he would know more about the situation than me.

My initial reaction is that I don’t think this is racist, but rather the guard doing a bad job. Farah's claim is somewhat convincing given he doesn’t have a history of claiming this, but the video in my view does not show a the guard being racist (they might do this kind of thing all the time I don’t know) natuarty people will accept Mo’s view of this over mine for obvious reasons.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest