The Student Room Group

Should I teach when I'm older?

Hi,
I'm in year 9 and I really want to be a teacher but heard about the hard work, pressure, lack of money and failing system and want to know whether or not it's worth it. I'm good at maths and English, patient, friendly, approachable and good with young children, as well as being passionate about working with them (ideally thinking of teaching in reception/infants), not to mention quite confident and good with public speaking. I'd be prepared for negative comments, stress, pressure and hard work to do something I love...but is teaching even worth it?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
You need to ask yourself that. I wouldn’t be thinking about your future career at this age.
job satisfaction>money
Original post by YouAreAYute
job satisfaction>money

Thanks I know thinking don't know if I'd be satisfied with it or not due to multiple obstacles, some of which I've named above.
Original post by HateOCR
You need to ask yourself that. I wouldn’t be thinking about your future career at this age.

My school strongly encourages us to and what to do after we've left school.
Reply 5
Primary or secondary? (my money is on the former)
Original post by Purplemonkeys
Thanks I know thinking don't know if I'd be satisfied with it or not due to multiple obstacles, some of which I've named above.

youd be happy with the job, but unhappy with the consequences. tbhh i dont think being a teacher is that bad, and hopefully the education system will improve by then so
even then, its quite neutral so you can always decide later
Original post by Pigster
Primary or secondary? (my money is on the former)

Aye, planning on teaching primary as I've mentioned above. I could never teach secondary but if I did I'd teach history or English
Reply 8
job satisfaction>money

Can't you have both?

(i.e. define money in your inequality, what is a decent teacher wage vs UK median wage, do you think?)
Hi,
I'm in year 9 and I really want to be a teacher but heard about the hard work, pressure, lack of money and failing system and want to know whether or not it's worth it. I'm good at maths and English, patient, friendly, approachable and good with young children, as well as being passionate about working with them (ideally thinking of teaching in reception/infants), not to mention quite confident and good with public speaking. I'd be prepared for negative comments, stress, pressure and hard work to do something I love...but is teaching even worth it?

teaching is one of the most rewarding careers and it's wonderful that you have the desire to teach. I think the pros outweigh the cons on this one! It would be a wonderful career to pursue and I'd highly recommend it! The next generation need highly skilled teachers who genuinely care and you seem like you do!
Aye, planning on teaching primary as I've mentioned above.

Whoops.

Having now re-read your OP, I get the feeling that I guessed primary since you stated primary.

In my defense I have a very sore shoulder and the codeine is making it hard for me to see and type.
Original post by Pigster
Can't you have both?

(i.e. define money in your inequality, what is a decent teacher wage vs UK median wage, do you think?)

to have both is defo the aim, but some people are rich and hate their job, so id rather love my job and earn a little less if it came down to choosing
Original post by Pigster
Whoops.

Having now re-read your OP, I get the feeling that I guessed primary since you stated primary.

In my defense I have a very sore shoulder and the codeine is making it hard for me to see and type.

😂😂😂
Original post by AngelaVickers
teaching is one of the most rewarding careers and it's wonderful that you have the desire to teach. I think the pros outweigh the cons on this one! It would be a wonderful career to pursue and I'd highly recommend it! The next generation need highly skilled teachers who genuinely care and you seem like you do!

Thanks 😀
to have both is defo the aim, but some people are rich and hate their job, so id rather love my job and earn a little less if it came down to choosing

I agree
Reply 15
Not for any of us to answer, really.
Your still in school and haven't started your GCSEs. Your career views will keep on changing. Don't worry about it now.

Quick Reply

Latest