Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I teach when I'm older? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm in year 9 and I really want to be a teacher but heard about the hard work, pressure, lack of money and failing system and want to know whether or not it's worth it. I'm good at maths and English, patient, friendly, approachable and good with young children, as well as being passionate about working with them (ideally thinking of teaching in reception/infants), not to mention quite confident and good with public speaking. I'd be prepared for negative comments, stress, pressure and hard work to do something I love...but is teaching even worth it?

ReputationRep:
    You need to ask yourself that. I wouldn’t be thinking about your future career at this age.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    job satisfaction>money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAreAYute)
    job satisfaction>money
    Thanks I know thinking don't know if I'd be satisfied with it or not due to multiple obstacles, some of which I've named above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    You need to ask yourself that. I wouldn’t be thinking about your future career at this age.
    My school strongly encourages us to and what to do after we've left school.

ReputationRep:
    Primary or secondary? (my money is on the former)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purplemonkeys)
    Thanks I know thinking don't know if I'd be satisfied with it or not due to multiple obstacles, some of which I've named above.
    youd be happy with the job, but unhappy with the consequences. tbhh i dont think being a teacher is that bad, and hopefully the education system will improve by then so
    even then, its quite neutral so you can always decide later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Primary or secondary? (my money is on the former)
    Aye, planning on teaching primary as I've mentioned above. I could never teach secondary but if I did I'd teach history or English

ReputationRep:
    job satisfaction>money
    Can't you have both?

(i.e. define money in your inequality, what is a decent teacher wage vs UK median wage, do you think?)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm in year 9 and I really want to be a teacher but heard about the hard work, pressure, lack of money and failing system and want to know whether or not it's worth it. I'm good at maths and English, patient, friendly, approachable and good with young children, as well as being passionate about working with them (ideally thinking of teaching in reception/infants), not to mention quite confident and good with public speaking. I'd be prepared for negative comments, stress, pressure and hard work to do something I love...but is teaching even worth it?
    teaching is one of the most rewarding careers and it's wonderful that you have the desire to teach. I think the pros outweigh the cons on this one! It would be a wonderful career to pursue and I'd highly recommend it! The next generation need highly skilled teachers who genuinely care and you seem like you do!

ReputationRep:
    Aye, planning on teaching primary as I've mentioned above.
    Whoops.

Having now re-read your OP, I get the feeling that I guessed primary since you stated primary.

In my defense I have a very sore shoulder and the codeine is making it hard for me to see and type.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you have both?

(i.e. define money in your inequality, what is a decent teacher wage vs UK median wage, do you think?)
    to have both is defo the aim, but some people are rich and hate their job, so id rather love my job and earn a little less if it came down to choosing

ReputationRep:
    Whoops.

Having now re-read your OP, I get the feeling that I guessed primary since you stated primary.

In my defense I have a very sore shoulder and the codeine is making it hard for me to see and type.
    😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelaVickers)
    teaching is one of the most rewarding careers and it's wonderful that you have the desire to teach. I think the pros outweigh the cons on this one! It would be a wonderful career to pursue and I'd highly recommend it! The next generation need highly skilled teachers who genuinely care and you seem like you do!
    Thanks 😀

ReputationRep:
    to have both is defo the aim, but some people are rich and hate their job, so id rather love my job and earn a little less if it came down to choosing
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    Not for any of us to answer, really.

ReputationRep:
    Your still in school and haven't started your GCSEs. Your career views will keep on changing. Don't worry about it now.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.