Turn on thread page Beta

I need advice on how to talk to a parent watch

(Original post by Outtagum20021)
    Sounds like your being smothered by them, i’ll be a new friend tho if u want
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAreAYute)
    why dont you get your older siblings to talk to them?
    They are all quite older than me and always argue with my parents about this. But they have there own lives to deal with too and I’d feel bad if I made them talk to my parents when it should be me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayabanana)
    Well they said their main reason for not wanting me to have friends was that I would be influenced badly. So maybe I should show them that I would be able to both have friends and remain the way I am? I’m just worried that when I am able to talk to people- I will not be able to fit in. But I will give it a try!
    okay, draw a pros and cons table for them.

pros
    - i avoid bad people in my life.
    cons
    - i become socially inept, which will make it harder to maintain a job, do uni interviews and live in a society.
    - this leads to a series of mental health issues. e.g. anxiety, depression, loneliness... to name a few.
    - therapy, courses and the alike are expensive to correct this.
    - i could end up with an abusive partner because i long for an attachment with anyone out of desperation.
    - i won't know what a healthy relationship with anyone is (whether romantic or not) so it will be difficult to leave an unhealthy one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baza2002)
    Go to your parents and tell them that you are not challenging or questioning their rules but you would like to know the reasons for each of those rules.
    Thank you I will try this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by num.7)
    okay, draw a pros and cons table for them.

pros
    - i avoid bad people in my life.
    cons
    - i become socially inept, which will make it harder to maintain a job, do uni interviews and live in a society.
    - this leads to a series of mental health issues. e.g. anxiety, depression, loneliness... to name a few.
    - therapy, courses and the alike are expensive to correct this.
    - i could end up with an abusive partner because i long for an attachment with anyone out of desperation.
    - i won't know what a healthy relationship with anyone is (whether romantic or not) so i will get even more ****ed up,
    Thank you, I’ll try this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by codyann02)
    I actually go to school and have no friends, trust me. People these days aren’t worth being friends with. Some people have growing up to do, I lost friends due to them smoking and drinking. Anyway your parents probably believe they’re doing the right thing, just let them know it’s effecting you negatively. I’m sure they’ll want to do what’s best for you. If you let them know they’re not helping, maybe they’ll reconsider and give you more freedom x
    I’m sorry that you had those bad experiences and even if they still don’t let me have friends- a little extra freedom sounds good so I’ll try

ReputationRep:
    I’m sorry that you had those bad experiences and even if they still don’t let me have friends- a little extra freedom sounds good so I’ll try
    if they don't, do it anyway. sure, you might be a pushover and may not be like your sister, however sometimes you just have to act.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I will try this!
    tell us how it goes.

(Original post by num.7)
    if they don't, do it anyway. sure, you might be a pushover and may not be like your sister, however sometimes you just have to act.
    Your right- and I will. I have decided that I’m going to sit them down when we’re alone and I’m going to talk with them and even if they don’t budge- I will know that I’ve tried my hardest

ReputationRep:
    Call the police
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    so basically your siblings aren't homeschooled only u! wow that's harsh. ik the feeling of u thinking your parents lol do the best for u and aren't like necessarily harsh on purpose but they still r idk how to explain it. My parents r rly strict too but like on all of us like not just me. tbh Idk what advice to give u other than talk to them
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by TPsych20)
    Call the police
    Its not like I hate them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by num.7)
    tell us how it goes.
    Will do!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.