Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,
    I'm in big trouble.my parents booked a flipping 41 day holiday for the summer holidays without asking me anything about it. so I'm going to miss results day which I don't want to and my friend said that we have enrolment after results day before school starts. She says enrolment will be your last chance to change your a level choices and will tell u whether the sixth form accepts u or not. idk what enrolment is so plz can someone explain? Also I'm coming back on the 3rd of September what time do sixthform usually start? Is it ok if I miss enrolment? Is it ok if I miss the first days of sixthform? would I be able to change my A level choices? sorry for the big list of questions but I'm so scared and worried everything is gonna go wrong cuz of this stupid holiday.
    Thanks in advance
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    (Original post by Zahra_2001)
    hi guys,
    I'm in big trouble.my parents booked a flipping 41 day holiday for the summer holidays without asking me anything about it. so I'm going to miss results day which I don't want to and my friend said that we have enrolment after results day before school starts. She says enrolment will be your last chance to change your a level choices and will tell u whether the sixth form accepts u or not. idk what enrolment is so plz can someone explain? Also I'm coming back on the 3rd of September what time do sixthform usually start? Is it ok if I miss enrolment? Is it ok if I miss the first days of sixthform? would I be able to change my A level choices? sorry for the big list of questions but I'm so scared and worried everything is gonna go wrong cuz of this stupid holiday.
    Thanks in advance
    Hi, I’m in year 12 now and my friend had a similar thing last summer. Our school was pretty flexible about it, if you ask you’ll probably find that you can get someone to come in and collect the results for you (normally another family member:aunt/uncle) but I think you need to bring in a letter signed by yourself to do so. Alternatively you could arrange for the school to email or post your results to do, which most schools are happy to do on request I think, so I would just check. As for enrolment, it’s basically just where you confirm your place for sixth form, if you have the required grades, you go in and just say that you are happy to accept your place for sixth form. Normally you confirm your subjects then but schools tend to be really flexible with subject changes because you haven’t started the a level syllabus yet so to an extent, you don’t know what to expect, as such, people will often find after starting a course that it’s not a great fit for them and if this were the case, you would go speak to someone like head of sixth form and a plan could be made. I know at my school there was people changing subjects right up until February (which is a little late in my opinion), but I would say that there would be flexibility in changing subjects until November/December time.

As for missing the first day of sixth form, I mean, it’s not ideal because they’ll be do a lot of introductory kind of stuff and tbh is one of the more exciting days of sixth form so far, so it’s a bit of a shame to miss it, but it’s one day and not the end of the world, I’m sure you won’t be the only person missing it. My advice would be to give the sixth form advanced warning that you won’t be there so if they need to give you stuff in advance then they can. Idk if you’re staying in at the same school you’ve done your GCSEs at, but if you are, I’m sure they’ll be even more understanding because they already know you to an extent.

No idea if this is any use at all but hope it helps! Good luck for your exams too! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoltek)
    HiHi, I’m in year 12 now and my friend had a similar thing last summer. Our school was pretty flexible about it, if you ask you’ll probably find that you can get someone to come in and collect the results for you (normally another family member:aunt/uncle) but I think you need to bring in a letter signed by yourself to do so. Alternatively you could arrange for the school to email or post your results to do, which most schools are happy to do on request I think, so I would just check. As for enrolment, it’s basically just where you confirm your place for sixth form, if you have the required grades, you go in and just say that you are happy to accept your place for sixth form. Normally you confirm your subjects then but schools tend to be really flexible with subject changes because you haven’t started the a level syllabus yet so to an extent, you don’t know what to expect, as such, people will often find after starting a course that it’s not a great fit for them and if this were the case, you would go speak to someone like head of sixth form and a plan could be made. I know at my school there was people changing subjects right up until February (which is a little late in my opinion), but I would say that there would be flexibility in changing subjects until November/December time.

As for missing the first day of sixth form, I mean, it’s not ideal because they’ll be do a lot of introductory kind of stuff and tbh is one of the more exciting days of sixth form so far, so it’s a bit of a shame to miss it, but it’s one day and not the end of the world, I’m sure you won’t be the only person missing it. My advice would be to give the sixth form advanced warning that you won’t be there so if they need to give you stuff in advance then they can. Idk if you’re staying in at the same school you’ve done your GCSEs at, but if you are, I’m sure they’ll be even more understanding because they already know you to an extent.

No idea if this is any use at all but hope it helps! Good luck for your exams too! X
    OMG THANK U SO MUCH! This calmed me down. I'll be going to the same sixth from as the school where I'm taking my GCSES. just one last q when was your first day of sixth form or usually when do most start?
    thx again and u too good luck with your exams!

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,
    I'm in big trouble.my parents booked a flipping 41 day holiday for the summer holidays without asking me anything about it.

Very relatable :laugh:

Enrollment is when you go into the college to officially sign up. Some colleges will just get you to write your name down and get your GCSE results; others will make you fill in lots of paperwork, pay deposits, and have deep convos about what A levels you're going to do. It shouldn't be a problem if you can't make it, though. Most colleges are v lenient and understand that people can't always make it on that day.

Let the sixth form know well in advance and be connected to the internet and have a phone by you on results day. Remember to account for time zone differences. As long as you get decent GCSEs you should be fine. And usually, you can still change A levels shortly after the start of the year if you've got the GCSE grades and reasons for doing so.

Check with the sixth form about their term dates. 3rd September is a Monday so it could be a school day but I imagine it will be a teacher training day of sorts.

Missing GCSE results day isn't a big deal. Just have a word with your parents about booking anything for August 2020!

ReputationRep:
    OMG THANK U SO MUCH! This calmed me down. I'll be going to the same sixth from as the school where I'm taking my GCSES. just one last q when was your first day of sixth form or usually when do most start?
    thx again and u too good luck with your exams!
    No problem, happy to help

Most sixth forms normally start around about the first week of September but it really does vary - I know this year mine started on the 2nd, but that was really really early, in the past we’ve started around the 5th or the 6th, I think it just depends how the first weekend of September falls. My advice would be to check the school website to see if they have the dates for next year up because I know mine uploaded them a couple of days ago, so they might be available, which might give you some peace of mind x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M451)
    Very relatable :laugh:

Enrollment is when you go into the college to officially sign up. Some colleges will just get you to write your name down and get your GCSE results; others will make you fill in lots of paperwork, pay deposits, and have deep convos about what A levels you're going to do. It shouldn't be a problem if you can't make it, though. Most colleges are v lenient and understand that people can't always make it on that day.

Let the sixth form know well in advance and be connected to the internet and have a phone by you on results day. Remember to account for time zone differences. As long as you get decent GCSEs you should be fine. And usually, you can still change A levels shortly after the start of the year if you've got the GCSE grades and reasons for doing so.

Check with the sixth form about their term dates. 3rd September is a Monday so it could be a school day but I imagine it will be a teacher training day of sorts.

Missing GCSE results day isn't a big deal. Just have a word with your parents about booking anything for August 2020!
    thx!!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.