Turn on thread page Beta

I am 21, should I go back to university? Oxbridge? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! This is my first ever thread despite hovering on here for since I was about 14! I am now 21 wooh! Long story short: I am really indecisive and can't make any decisions about my future as there are too many options, so I am turning to the internet!

Finished my A Levels in 2015 with three A's in English Literature, Media Studies and History. Took a gap year to save money, travel and decide on what to study. (Hence the beginning of my indecisiveness) Accepted my Bristol offer to study English LIT.

Started in 2016 at Bristol, from the minute I arrived I felt like it was not for me. However, I gave it a shot. I threw myself in, joined the cheer squad, president of my halls, wrote for the Tab. I still wasn't happy, the course was not fulfilling, didn’t really fit in due to the types of people, although I am very sociable, met lots people, went out a fair bit. No-one did the reading which was actually shocking, tutorials were so awkward no one said anything, and these were students that went incredible schools. In general, I still felt lonely and unhappy.

So, I left at Easter. It just did not make sense, I was getting nothing academically out it and it made me question what the point of university was.

Anyways, last summer I managed to secure an apprenticeship at the BBC where I move to different departments every couple of months, basically anything I express an interest in. I have enjoyed it so far but obviously it is mostly entry level admin stuff being an apprentice. I have always been ambitious, I just want the best for myself and family. Media industry is fun but it does not pay very well, also I have not found anything that I actually would see myself doing for the rest of my life.

I often dream of applying to Oxbridge but not even sure if I would like it there - if I got in. Not sure what to study its between law (which I would try for at Oxford) or education (Cambridge). If not Oxbridge then one of the London unis.

What do you guys think... I just want a rewarding and challenging career but I will probs be 25 by the time I graduate if I apply next year? Or should I just see where my apprenticeship takes me and work my way up.
    Please help me!

ReputationRep:
    Do what feels most comfortable for u. U sed u didnt enjoy your courses it would make sense if u were to carry on with the apprenticeships as you wud be enjoying yourself more and theyre more hands on im guessing.
    If ur a type or person to get bored with academics pass it away and go into sonething mire practical. Ik many ppm including my older sister who has vecome very successful doing apprenticeships; shes now the manager of a construction site☺️
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The issue with the reading is fairly common at all universities (even Oxbridge apparently, even though humanities people may be able to get away with relying on their partner to carry them through the discussion while they've covered the bare basics). Most people will skip the reading they don't like or don't have time for, or will have to do it in chunks due to life pressures. It's usually just a handful of people who will turn up super-well-prepared for everything and are willing to be active during the lesson.

I'd be wary about starting a degree to find your interests. It's definitely a second chance and a way to explore new subjects/careers at uni. However, at the same time, it does delay your career development through the apprenticeship, it still limits you to a certain range of grad careers, and you'll lose the foot in the door you have right now at the BBC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studdybuddy101)
    Hey all! This is my first ever thread despite hovering on here for since I was about 14! I am now 21 wooh! Long story short: I am really indecisive and can't make any decisions about my future as there are too many options, so I am turning to the internet!

Finished my A Levels in 2015 with three A's in English Literature, Media Studies and History. Took a gap year to save money, travel and decide on what to study. (Hence the beginning of my indecisiveness) Accepted my Bristol offer to study English LIT.

Started in 2016 at Bristol, from the minute I arrived I felt like it was not for me. However, I gave it a shot. I threw myself in, joined the cheer squad, president of my halls, wrote for the Tab. I still wasn't happy, the course was not fulfilling, didn’t really fit in due to the types of people, although I am very sociable, met lots people, went out a fair bit. No-one did the reading which was actually shocking, tutorials were so awkward no one said anything, and these were students that went incredible schools. In general, I still felt lonely and unhappy.

So, I left at Easter. It just did not make sense, I was getting nothing academically out it and it made me question what the point of university was.

Anyways, last summer I managed to secure an apprenticeship at the BBC where I move to different departments every couple of months, basically anything I express an interest in. I have enjoyed it so far but obviously it is mostly entry level admin stuff being an apprentice. I have always been ambitious, I just want the best for myself and family. Media industry is fun but it does not pay very well, also I have not found anything that I actually would see myself doing for the rest of my life.

I often dream of applying to Oxbridge but not even sure if I would like it there - if I got in. Not sure what to study its between law (which I would try for at Oxford) or education (Cambridge). If not Oxbridge then one of the London unis.

What do you guys think... I just want a rewarding and challenging career but I will probs be 25 by the time I graduate if I apply next year? Or should I just see where my apprenticeship takes me and work my way up.
    Please help me!
    As someone who's going to be 21 when I head to University later this year, admittedly to study Graphic Design and aim to get a first after recently coming out of a two year apprenticeship and not an academical subject, I've accepted that this is the path I must take to get a foothold in my career, no matter how much experience I gain through internships or apprenticeships, I need a degree to even be considered being hired by a studio and freelancing outside of odd jobs is something I have no interest in until I have several years of first hand experience.

I think that since you're doing an apprenticeship, your best course of action would be to apply for university, weigh up your choices after receiving offers and talk with your higher ups at work to see what their plans are for you after you finish your apprenticeship, mention that you have plans to go to university if your career does not progress at your current work placement.

25 is a good age to get into a creative industry, you just have to show that not only are you a fresh degree holding potential employee, but that you also already understand how your workplace functions, placing yourself ahead of younger students who went straight to university,feel free to ask me any further questions if you need anything clarifying.

Hope I was able to help!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Please help me!
    Defo reapply!

The time out of uni will have given you a chance to mature a bit and reassess what you want out of uni and your career.

I had a pretty bumpy start with results etc and had to essentially take 2 years before I got to a place I'm proud of.. I'll be about 23-24 when I graduate but it was definitely worth the ride.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Please help me!
    Just a note that you fall short of Cambridge's A*AA requirement for Education (and all Humanties courses).

ReputationRep:

Please help me!
    When you're 26 you realise that the difference between 25 and 21 year-olds isn't so big and that feeling and sense only increases as you get older. A few years between graduate dates isn't important. I graduated when I was 24 and I'm now (touch wood) going back to do a conversion course this September, and I won't graduate until I'm 27 and who knows, I might go back and do a Phd if it all goes well, meaning I'll be in my early thirties when I'm done with uni.

That might seem late but consider that we're not retiring until we're older and older. If you want to do law or teaching for your working life then go back because if you graduate when you're 25 you'll have 40+ years of work ahead of you. This might be your only chance because if you ponder longer you might find you have kids in a year or two and then it becomes harder to go to university and the experience will be completely different.

By the sounds of stuff you've got a good shot at real success wherever you go. Get on the ladder you want to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adanali)
    Do what feels most comfortable for u. U sed u didnt enjoy your courses it would make sense if u were to carry on with the apprenticeships as you wud be enjoying yourself more and theyre more hands on im guessing.
    If ur a type or person to get bored with academics pass it away and go into sonething mire practical. Ik many ppm including my older sister who has vecome very successful doing apprenticeships; shes now the manager of a construction site☺️
    Thank you so much for your response. I do get bored sometimes but when I Find something I live I will work hard at it. So it is just a matter of me choosing the right subject I suppose. Well done to your sis!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    The issue with the reading is fairly common at all universities (even Oxbridge apparently, even though humanities people may be able to get away with relying on their partner to carry them through the discussion while they've covered the bare basics). Most people will skip the reading they don't like or don't have time for, or will have to do it in chunks due to life pressures. It's usually just a handful of people who will turn up super-well-prepared for everything and are willing to be active during the lesson.

I'd be wary about starting a degree to find your interests. It's definitely a second chance and a way to explore new subjects/careers at uni. However, at the same time, it does delay your career development through the apprenticeship, it still limits you to a certain range of grad careers, and you'll lose the foot in the door you have right now at the BBC.

Thanks for replying! It is true actually about the reading I suppose I was a bit naive, I came really prepared and keen for my first couple of lessons, then gave up. I probably would not of kept it up anyways. You are right about the subject thing, but I think I chose English for the wrong reasons anyways, just kind of went with what teachers told me and was not adventurous enough. Thanks for the advice! If I do go back I will try to keep my networks open at the BBC haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToMorOaY)
    As someone who's going to be 21 when I head to University later this year, admittedly to study Graphic Design and aim to get a first after recently coming out of a two year apprenticeship and not an academical subject, I've accepted that this is the path I must take to get a foothold in my career, no matter how much experience I gain through internships or apprenticeship

Hope I was able to help!
    Hey, thanks for your response, really encouraging. It is true about just applying and weighing up options I am getting a bit ahead of myself. You seem to realise that you need to go uni to progress. For me, it is more about just kind of still wanting a degree before things start to settle down but either way you are right! 25 is probably a good age to start anything, have the rest of our lives to work Will you be staying in halls and everything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Defo reapply!

The time out of uni will have given you a chance to mature a bit and reassess what you want out of uni and your career.

I had a pretty bumpy start with results etc and had to essentially take 2 years before I got to a place I'm proud of.. I'll be about 23-24 when I graduate but it was definitely worth the ride.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! Did you feel out of practice with essays and coursework? Or was you constantly in education for those years? Do you have any advice for me since I have not been in education for 2 /3 years now (other than my NVQ in Digital marketing which I am now completing - but it is very light work)

ReputationRep:
    your apprenticeship sounds brilliant ! stay with the Beeb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Just a note that you fall short of Cambridge's A*AA requirement for Education (and all Humanties courses).
    Hey, I emailed a few colleges and they seem to be cool with my grades as it is a little different for mature colleges/ education is not as competitive as other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shkennedy)
    When you're 26 you realise that the difference between 25 and 21 year-olds isn't so big and that feeling and sense only increases as you get older. A few years between graduate dates isn't important. I graduated when I was 24 and I'm now (touch wood) going back to do a conversion course this September, and I won't graduate until I'm 27 and who knows, I might go back and do a Phd if it all goes well, meaning I'll be in my early thirties when I'm done with uni.

That might seem late but consider that we're not retiring until we're older and older. If you want to do law or teaching for your working life then go back because if you graduate when you're 25 you'll have 40+ years of work ahead of you. This might be your only chance because if you ponder longer you might find you have kids in a year or two and then it becomes harder to go to university and the experience will be completely different.

By the sounds of stuff you've got a good shot at real success wherever you go. Get on the ladder you want to be.
    Ah thank you for your kind words! It is so true actually about the age gap, I am realising more and more. At work I have close friends who are 26/30 even 50. It is more about personality most of the time. Also yeah 40+ years is definitely more than enough haha thanks! Pension was one the things I was worried about but I suppose my degree could potentially lead to a higher paying job anyways so thing will hopefully even out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    your apprenticeship sounds brilliant ! stay with the Beeb.
    haha thanks! It is a pretty cool place! I think I will be there at least another year in a different job next year anyways to make up my mind.

ReputationRep:
    haha thanks! It is a pretty cool place! I think I will be there at least another year in a different job next year anyways to make up my mind.
    many graduates would be over the moon to work for the Beeb. so many end up in jobs which not so long ago would require a couple of CSEs....

ReputationRep:
    Hehe thanks everyone! Was not expecting to get so many positive responses

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think it would suit most people far better if they didn't go to University until 20+. I feel that most people are just forced and pressured into going and then pick something off of a whim.

Education is a lifelong pursuit where you should never stop educating yourself, so have no regrets and go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    I honestly think it would suit most people far better if they didn't go to University until 20+. I feel that most people are just forced and pressured into going and then pick something off of a whim.

Education is a lifelong pursuit where you should never stop educating yourself, so have no regrets and go for it
    Woop! I agree, although I did take a gap year should of figured it out sooner. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Woop! I agree, although I did take a gap year should of figured it out sooner. Thanks!
    It's taken me four years if that's any consolation, better late than never.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.