Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studdybuddy101)
    Hey all! This is my first ever thread despite hovering on here for since I was about 14! I am now 21 wooh! Long story short: I am really indecisive and can't make any decisions about my future as there are too many options, so I am turning to the internet!

Finished my A Levels in 2015 with three A's in English Literature, Media Studies and History. Took a gap year to save money, travel and decide on what to study. (Hence the beginning of my indecisiveness) Accepted my Bristol offer to study English LIT.

Started in 2016 at Bristol, from the minute I arrived I felt like it was not for me. However, I gave it a shot. I threw myself in, joined the cheer squad, president of my halls, wrote for the Tab. I still wasn't happy, the course was not fulfilling, didn’t really fit in due to the types of people, although I am very sociable, met lots people, went out a fair bit. No-one did the reading which was actually shocking, tutorials were so awkward no one said anything, and these were students that went incredible schools. In general, I still felt lonely and unhappy.

So, I left at Easter. It just did not make sense, I was getting nothing academically out it and it made me question what the point of university was.

Anyways, last summer I managed to secure an apprenticeship at the BBC where I move to different departments every couple of months, basically anything I express an interest in. I have enjoyed it so far but obviously it is mostly entry level admin stuff being an apprentice. I have always been ambitious, I just want the best for myself and family. Media industry is fun but it does not pay very well, also I have not found anything that I actually would see myself doing for the rest of my life.

I often dream of applying to Oxbridge but not even sure if I would like it there - if I got in. Not sure what to study its between law (which I would try for at Oxford) or education (Cambridge). If not Oxbridge then one of the London unis.

What do you guys think... I just want a rewarding and challenging career but I will probs be 25 by the time I graduate if I apply next year? Or should I just see where my apprenticeship takes me and work my way up.
    Please help me!

This is actually such a coincidence because I did so similar. Took a gap year and went travelling in the same academic year and then started studying at Bristol in the 2016 intake. I dropped out before christmas though so at least you beat me there. Anyway I made the choice to return to Bristol the following year and can honestly I do not regret it one bit. Yes you may be older than some people but they don't know or care. That experience of dropping out and returning really helps drive you to work hard and has only been a benefit personally. If you really want to study again then 100% go for it because I don't think you will feel the same second time around, perspective changes everything and you would probably just be grateful to be back. Good luck you're a smart person and sure you'll make the right choice for you.

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you for your kind words! It is so true actually about the age gap, I am realising more and more. At work I have close friends who are 26/30 even 50. It is more about personality most of the time. Also yeah 40+ years is definitely more than enough haha thanks! Pension was one the things I was worried about but I suppose my degree could potentially lead to a higher paying job anyways so thing will hopefully even out.
    No problem! Yes a law degree from a good university should more than even it out and teaching public sector for a certain length of time (I think?) comes with a guaranteed pension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hgy1997)
    This is actually such a coincidence because I did so similar. Took a gap year and went travelling in the same academic year and then started studying at Bristol in the 2016 intake. I dropped out before christmas though so at least you beat me there. Anyway I made the choice to return to Bristol the following year and can honestly I do not regret it one bit. Yes you may be older than some people but they don't know or care. That experience of dropping out and returning really helps drive you to work hard and has only been a benefit personally. If you really want to study again then 100% go for it because I don't think you will feel the same second time around, perspective changes everything and you would probably just be grateful to be back. Good luck you're a smart person and sure you'll make the right choice for you.
    Wow thanks for this! So interesting that you went back to Bristol and found it better. Can I ask if you changed your subject? Gosh I miss some parts about Bristol, such a lively city. Definitely will know I will work 10x harder this time and not waste time.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks for this! So interesting that you went back to Bristol and found it better. Can I ask if you changed your subject? Gosh I miss some parts about Bristol, such a lively city. Definitely will know I will work 10x harder this time and not waste time.
    I didn't actually, the same course just a year later. Perhaps I wasn't ready the first time around but coming back here removed any of those 'what could of been' doubts. Yes Its a great place to be, and admissions do not deter from older students so it could always be a backup if you did not get into Oxbridge. I know they don't favour deferrals anywhere near as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hgy1997)
    I didn't actually, the same course just a year later. Perhaps I wasn't ready the first time around but coming back here removed any of those 'what could of been' doubts. Yes Its a great place to be, and admissions do not deter from older students so it could always be a backup if you did not get into Oxbridge. I know they don't favour deferrals anywhere near as much.
    Wow, and did you go for halls again meet completely new people? Or stick with people you met last year?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I emailed a few colleges and they seem to be cool with my grades as it is a little different for mature colleges/ education is not as competitive as other subjects.
    Doh! Apologies...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Just a note that you fall short of Cambridge's A*AA requirement for Education (and all Humanties courses).
    Hey, I emailed a few colleges and they seem to be cool with my grades as it is a little different for mature colleges/ education is not as competitive as other subjects.
    Edit: just double-checked for Humanities, and 72 applicants were accepted at Cambridge with AAA or worse last year, so it seems you may indeed be ok

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 16.04.53.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  419.3 KB
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....2016_cycle.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Edit: just double-checked for Humanities, and 72 applicants were accepted at Cambridge with AAA or worse last year, so it seems you may indeed be ok

I want to know who Mr 48 is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

ooh interesting thanks for this, I am guessing most of those would of just missed out on their grades and accepted anyways. Since I already have my grades it is a little bit more risky but Education has virtually no applications at some colleges so I reckon I have a shot. But we shall see, I think I will only apply knowing I am confident enough with the subject and can demonstrate my passion.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    I want to know who Mr 48 is
    lol same... what grade would that be in A levels?

*or Mrs cough cough

ReputationRep:
    lol same... what grade would that be in A levels?

*or Mrs cough cough
    EEE , it's definitely a Mr.

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOOOL oh yeah sorry... numpty... been listening to too many feminist podcasts this week

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it was because of extenuating circumstances...

ReputationRep:
    Could well be or perhaps an unconditional and decided not to bother with A levels.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    ooh interesting thanks for this, I am guessing most of those would of just missed out on their grades and accepted anyways.
    There will be that too, but if the colleges have given you the nod then go for it
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Could well be or perhaps an unconditional and decided not to bother with A levels.
    It's just an applicant, they didn't get an offer nor accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for your response, really encouraging. It is true about just applying and weighing up options I am getting a bit ahead of myself. You seem to realise that you need to go uni to progress. For me, it is more about just kind of still wanting a degree before things start to settle down but either way you are right! 25 is probably a good age to start anything, have the rest of our lives to work Will you be staying in halls and everything?
    Exactly! And yes, I'll be staying in halls whilst studying Graphic Design at Falmouth University.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.