Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Gcse options please helppp watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey so I’m currently in year 9 picking my gcse options for next year. Obviously I have to do English lit, English lang and maths. My school have also made physics, chemistry, biology and religious studies compulsory. I had three options and chose history, art and music. Now I really want to swap music for French as apparently you need a gcse language to get into UCL. But I’m asking my school if I could still do music but after school however I’ve been told they’ll probably say no so idk what to pick.
    I literally wouldn’t have this problem if they hadn’t made rs compulsory and made a language compulsory instead. I feel like I should study a language because so many other schools do make them compulsory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slugl)
    Hey so I’m currently in year 9 picking my gcse options for next year. Obviously I have to do English lit, English lang and maths. My school have also made physics, chemistry, biology and religious studies compulsory. I had three options and chose history, art and music. Now I really want to swap music for French as apparently you need a gcse language to get into UCL. But I’m asking my school if I could still do music but after school however I’ve been told they’ll probably say no so idk what to pick.
    I literally wouldn’t have this problem if they hadn’t made rs compulsory and made a language compulsory instead. I feel like I should study a language because so many other schools do make them compulsory
    It depends on what you're going to enjoy and be good at really. In my school taking a language was compulsory so i took French which i enjoyed. I would have hated to do music but that's just me. For what it's worth though most say that music is harder than a language at gcse, but again that depends on your strengths. A language is also likely more useful. I would say take what you enjoy most and think you'll get the best grade in, even though I know that can be hard to predict, but try to play to your strengths. Good luck! Also, it may seem like the most stressful thing in the world now, and trust me I know how you feel as I was much the same in year 9, but GCSEs really aren't the end of the world. Enjoy what you can of them!

ps, also, don't write off GCSE RS, i took it (out of choice ha!) as a bit of a wildcard and loved it, am now taking it at alevel and want to study theology at uni, soo all worked out grand
    other than music if you choose it, i took the same subjects as you- art history and rs- and loved them. hope you do too ! good luck ahh

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.