ReputationRep:
    .N
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by himyname)
    I've just recently got a job and it pays well. My siblings etc are currently not doing so well financially and therefore I help out as much as possible. However, i just feel so guilty if i ever do anything nice like go on holiday or do something fancy because I know they are struggling financially.

I contribute as much as I can because i don't want them to get stressed... but I can't seem to let myself have things I've wanted because i just feel guilty. Or if I book a holiday, for example, i just feel awful and selfish

I just feel guilty so i end up not doing anything.

I just wanted any advice.
    You can't live your life always being concerned for others. What help is it to them if you're miserable? People go through tough times and sometimes you will be better off than others. You shouldn't feel guilty for that. You're trying to help them out and that's wonderful of you, but you don't need to spend all your time being concerned for them. You deserve to enjoy things.
    It's not selfish living your life when others happen to be worse off. You earned what you have and it's just unfortunate that they are having difficulty. What you are doing by trying to help them out is the opposite of selfish. You don't need to spend all your time feeling bad about it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    You can't live your life always being concerned for others. What help is it to them if you're miserable? People go through tough times and sometimes you will be better off than others. You shouldn't feel guilty for that. You're trying to help them out and that's wonderful of you, but you don't need to spend all your time being concerned for them. You deserve to enjoy things.
    It's not selfish living your life when others happen to be worse off. You earned what you have and it's just unfortunate that they are having difficulty. What you are doing by trying to help them out is the opposite of selfish. You don't need to spend all your time feeling bad about it too.

thank you for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    It's not wrong at all to have fun , go in a vacation or to buy your self the things you like .
    It's part of helping them that you are trying to motivate your self , it would hurt everyone if you go into depression or something because your are not giving your self a slack .
    Stay productive by having fun now and then for everybody's sake .

Hope that helps

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.