The Student Room Group

Constantly arguing with friend (example here - who is right?)

As per title - I keep havign arguments with my friend and flatmate. We have been very good friends, basically best friends since University and perhaps since living together have had alot of arguments by virtue of being too close together in the past. I would like to use one example that happened this evening to see if I'm going mental or if I'm not critical enough of myself -

I was in the flat watching Liverpool vs Porto. My flatmate is a Liverpool fans and texts me to say 'fml I will be in work late today, the one day liverpool are on'. I'm there watching it on my laptop when I lock my computer screen and pop out at half time to get some chocolate at tesco (literally! lol). I return just as the game got underway again but completely to my surprise my flatmate is in the flat and he told me that he put my screen down because our internet is poor (it's bad, true), and so he could watch the game.

Now I got angry. Why? Long story short, him (and my other flatmate) watch series/films every single day of the week. Whether after work, on weekend, literally watching it as they make dinner. They're obsessed. The one I had an argument with put my screen down because he knows when two or three laptops are running series/football matches our internet lags badly. But he doesn't give consideration to MY internet in all the times he watches series. So I called him out and said it's selfish. He said well it's selfish to leave it on when you go out. However, I had no idea when he would return and left it on because I was only going out to get chocolate down the road. He also knows that I was going to watch it in the flat, and he knows me well enough to know that I wouldn'thave disappeared for a long time.

I guess in his head - he is a Liverpool fan (although he's not from Liverpool and has no association with Liverpool), but anyways, he wanted to watch the game. However, when you behave as he does regarding his series and so forth and not care about my internet knowing full well it is probably being affected, I thought it took a hell of a lot of cheek for him to firstly put my screen down knowing that I was coming back very soon, and then to call me out as selfish in return to me saying that.

That's in a nutshell it. Am I right or am I wrong? Objective viewpoints.
Reply 1
just watch it together tf
Reply 2
Original post by 19-99
just watch it together tf

I don't disagree or agree. However he arrived home when I popped out so he put it on his laptop whilst preparing dinner, which is when the argument started.
Honestly imo you both sound petty and pathetic.
If you all wanted to watch the match then as #2 said watch it together. It was a tedious match anyway with nothing hanging on it.

Get a faster internet connection for goodness sake.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Reply 5
Watch it together then, simple.
Reply 6
Original post by UWS
Watch it together then, simple.

That is of course the obvious and most logical answer. However, as mentioned he was in the kitchen when I got in by which point we had an argument because I didn't think it was right to just shut my laptop down basically. So I shut the door on him and he was cooking so I wasn't going to go to the kitchen for example.
So why havent you gotten a faster internet connection?
Its really childish by both of you.
Reply 8
Original post by Toums
That is of course the obvious and most logical answer. However, as mentioned he was in the kitchen when I got in by which point we had an argument because I didn't think it was right to just shut my laptop down basically. So I shut the door on him and he was cooking so I wasn't going to go to the kitchen for example.

I think the bickering between you two is silly.

Come to some sort of agreement over the internet, both of you should be aware that it's the two of you living there so you should respect each other.

I agree, he probably shouldn't have touched your laptop but these are the kinds of things you need to sort out when living together, along with the internet usages. You're both adults so talk it through like adults in a civil manner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending