Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    I'm joining The Student Room to inform myself about computer science universities in Holland.

Ultimately, I want to be a software engineer.

In the Netherlands, I have found several universities teaching computer science, computer engineering, artificial intelligence and so on with realy interesting programmes, content and apparent quality. I'm mostly aware of Delft, Eindhoven and Groningen, but please inform me of any others that teach in English.

So here are my questions and concerns.
    • What is the difference between the undergraduate courses in these universities (and potentially others)? I am specifically interested in an engineering course - one which goes deep into math and teaches all the concepts and not just practical skills like programming languages. All of these courses have subjects which indicate similarity, so I am left very confused after hearing people calling Groningen not engineering-oriented (with subjects such as Computer Architecture and Compiler Construction).
    • Can I transfer to any one of the other universities for a Master's?
    • Is the course content/quality at undergraduate level perhaps almost identical, and maybe it only matters where I get my Master's? (e.g. from undergraduate in Groningen/Eindhoven to get my Master's in Delft - would I miss much compared to going straight to Delft? What exactly?)
    • Anyone doing/did ComSci at Eindhoven (undergraduate)? I would like to know a lot more about their exact programme and content, as their website isn't very descriptive (or I couldn't find the information)

I've read that Delft is at the top with Eindhoven around there as well, and Groningen with a weaker department for IT/Computer Science.

I also heard that only Delft is a proper engineering university.

So this is definitely my biggest concern, to point it out again: considering that I want to get a Master's later on and if I could go to any other uni with my Bachelor degree, how much does the undergraduate course quality matter?
    Note: I may not be able to begin in Delft because of the location, but I would go there to get my Master's if that's the best choice.

I also have some smaller, less important questions.
    • How good do professors and lecturers speak English?
    • These universities also don't have strict grade/point entry requirements, only state that math is recommended. Should I be worried about this? My IB diploma isn't that great as I lost it near the end and got all 4's across the board, but had Math HL, Physics HL and Computer Science (SL) so they might like that. What are my prospects? (Definitely more capable than this though)
    • Would it be possible to study at Eindhoven uni, but live in a neighbouring city like Roermond? I see a train ticket is ~7€, so 15€ per day which does stack up. Any better ways to get around? (Asking because I'm trying to be closer to where my girlfriend might potentially study Medicine - Maastricht)

I would be really grateful to anyone who would answer at least one of these, and I'm looking forward to your answers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.