Turn on thread page Beta

International Women's Day 2018 - #PressForProgress watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by 27FT)
    ah well done for making a day designated for woman about men just like every other day. I'm sure every inequality in the world and any discrimination males face have been cured. You deserve a pat on the back c:
    You've managed to completely misread and misinterpret my post. And then on top of that you then decided the best reaction to your 100% wrong interpretation was this condescendingly rude reply? :sigh: You can kindly naff off with that attitude, I have no time for it.

For the record, I consider gender equality an important issue and I fully back the team's efforts in supporting IWD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    You've managed to completely misread and misinterpret my post. And then on top of that you then decided the best reaction to your 100% wrong interpretation was this condescendingly rude reply? :sigh: You can kindly naff off with that attitude, I have no time for it.

For the record, I consider gender equality an important issue and I fully back the team's efforts in supporting IWD.
    Sorry i just realised I replied to the wrong person. I wasn't meant to reply to you but the poster you were addressing in your post; My bad, I should have checked beforehand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    It's a bit ironic you're wasting kilobytes ranting about this when chelseadagg3r's original post didn't even mention the pay gap at all. As if this one issue completely negates the entire concept of gender inequality. The issue is far more complex than simply making sure people get paid a fair wage.
    "The World Economic Forum predicts that the gender gap won't close until 2186. This is too long to wait. Through discussion, awareness, understanding, and change we can help to close this gap sooner."

It Clearly did mention it as this being some gap, inequality does factor the wage gap into it and I am stating that the Gap does not Exist in most of the modern western world, and once again words are being put in my mouth I have never even suggested that just because this is solved that it means that it is solved everywhere or that there are no problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...421746.article
    (and the study it discusses that was carried out by Yale http://www.pnas.org/content/109/41/16474 )
    :flute:
    Ok I had a quick skim read through that and it just seems like it is talking about Hiring biases nothing to do with the pay gap
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    "The World Economic Forum predicts that the gender gap won't close until 2186. This is too long to wait. Through discussion, awareness, understanding, and change we can help to close this gap sooner."

It Clearly did mention it as this being some gap, inequality does factor the wage gap into it and I am stating that the Gap does not Exist in most of the modern western world, and once again words are being put in my mouth I have never even suggested that just because this is solved that it means that it is solved everywhere or that there are no problems.
    The gap, not pay gap. The gap in general. The gap between genders, the gap that makes us unequal. You just chose to focus on something that wasn't mentioned
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    "Unlike pay inequality - which compares the wages of men and women doing the same job - a gender pay difference at a company is not illegal, but could possibly reflect discrimination"

This is not saying that men and women doing the exact same hours, for the exact same job and the exact same time, one company explained that women were more often cabin crew (lower paying) and men were often pilots (higher paying) and this can easily account for why overall women get less, nothing to do with discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    The gap, not pay gap. The gap in general. The gap between genders, the gap that makes us unequal. You just chose to focus on something that wasn't mentioned
    Ok so using the world ECONOMIC Forum to talk about a gender gap really does suggest this is about money for the most part, the wage gap (That is very real in many non western countries) is a part of this gap and something that is a key point for feminism
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Ok I had a quick skim read through that and it just seems like it is talking about Hiring biases nothing to do with the pay gap
    I'd recommend you read it more thoroughly then :yes:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Ok so using the world ECONOMIC Forum to talk about a gender gap really does suggest this is about money for the most part, the wage gap (That is very real in many non western countries) is a part of this gap and something that is a key point for feminism
    Taking this directly from their gender gap report:

The Global Gender Gap Report benchmarks 144 countries on their progress towards gender parity across four thematic dimensions: Economic Participation and Opportunity, Educational Attainment, Health and Survival, and Political Empowerment.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Taking this directly from their gender gap report:

The Global Gender Gap Report benchmarks 144 countries on their progress towards gender parity across four thematic dimensions: Economic Participation and Opportunity, Educational Attainment, Health and Survival, and Political Empowerment.*
    Glad we can agree then
    "Economic Participation"

ReputationRep:
    A question to everyone on this forum. Did the staff on this forum do a thread for international men's day? Think about this for a moment and what it tells you about this forum's bias and political agenda.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    A question to everyone on this forum. Did the staff on this forum do a thread for international men's day? Think about this for a moment and what it tells you about this site's political agenda.
    There was a thread - why didn't you post in it?

That tells us all a lot about your political agenda :indiff:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5056862
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Glad we can agree then
    "Economic Participation"
    Glad we can agree then
    "Economic Participation"
    Economic participation refers to things like rate of people in the workforce/unemployment rather than, or at least rather than solely, their pay if I understand correctly. Have asked for clarification though from someone who will understand better
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by 27FT)
    Sorry i just realised I replied to the wrong person. I wasn't meant to reply to you but the poster you were addressing in your post; My bad, I should have checked beforehand
    Okay no worries. I think you should try and avoid that sort of tone though, putting people on the offensive has a tendency to backfire.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by PQ)

Never change, PQ.

ReputationRep:
    can you remind me when International Men's Day falls this year ?

:holmes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I think we can all appreciate that there are at least some inequalities affecting at least some women/ girls in at least some countries so instead of picking at one short summary of things how about we all just enjoy the day and have a think about the inequalities that do exist, whatever they may be, or the progress that has already been made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

You call asking people whether they are going to celebrate it or not a thread.... you compare that one line thread to this? bit desperate aren't you?

I remember you from last year lecturing me (a medical student) on what students need to get into medicine. I remember you telling me that people need chemistry to get into it....A know nothing, know it all...haven't changed much have you?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by the bear)
    can you remind me when International Men's Day falls this year ?

:holmes:
    If you're interested in IMD then I'd recommend following allyfogg on twitter. He does a lot of work around IMD and helping address problems that affect men and boys specifically.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    You compare asking people whether they are going to celebrate it or not a thread.... you compare that one line thread to this? bit desperate aren't you?

I remember you from last year lecturing me (a medical student) on what students need to get into medicine. I remember you telling me that people need chemistry to get into it....A know nothing, know it all...haven't changed much have you?
    You've literally been proven wrong when trying to make an edgy point that men are being underrepresented on TSR and that we're somehow biased and yet still you're trying to talk people down and feign intellectual superiority. You've been called out, you need to own it, be a bit more humble and less accusing in future and stop insulting people please. Thank you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.