Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

International Women's Day 2018 - #PressForProgress watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    You've literally been proven wrong when trying to make an edgy point that men are being underrepresented on TSR and that we're somehow biased and yet still you're trying to talk people down and feign intellectual superiority. You've been called out, you need to own it, be a bit more humble and less accusing in future and stop insulting people please. Thank you.
    I encourage people to go and check out that one thread that she referenced and then come back here and tell me that its a thread celebrating international men's day. If you think it is you are lying to yourself. I'm not insulting anyone. The truth is not an insult. I know its a hard pill to swallow though.

You want equality right? Lets compare that thread and the number of threads you people have started about men to the number you have started about women. Shall we do that and see if its "equal"? I think you'd prefer me not to do that...save you the embarrassment.

You are a bunch of bias sexists. That is your reality.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    I encourage people to go and check out that one thread that she referenced and then come back here and tell me that its a thread celebrating international men's day. If you think it is you are lying to yourself. I'm not insulting anyone. The truth hurts. Its a hard pill to swallow. You are a bunch of sexists.
    Yes and the world is flat and US politicians are reptiles, etc etc. This is off-topic. If you're concerned that celebrating International Women's Day is sexist or a serious threat to the continued existence of males everywhere, I invite you to pop a note into AtCT or on Reddit or 4chan. Further posts of this nature within this thread will be removed.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    I encourage people to go and check out that one thread that she referenced and then come back here and tell me that its a thread celebrating international men's day. If you think it is you are lying to yourself. I'm not insulting anyone. The truth is not an insult. I know its a hard pill to swallow though. You are a bunch of bias sexists.
    Just because none of the members wanted to celebrate with me doesn't mean I wasn't celebrating - I can't help it if you didn't want to join in then.

What did you do to celebrate IMD in November? I donated to Shelter and ManKind, read a bunch of really interesting articles and blog posts (and shared them), thanked the men I worked with for all their help this year, hugged my loved ones a bit tighter and had takeaway (and gave the man who delivered it a big tip).
    Did you do anything fun? Or anything nice? Did you donate to men's charities/causes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you're interested in IMD then I'd recommend following allyfogg on twitter. He does a lot of work around IMD and helping address problems that affect men and boys specifically.
    twitter makes me nervous :emo:

i "googled" it... it is on 19th November this year... or 11/19 as our friends across the pond would say

ReputationRep:
    Just had a quick look at the exec summary of the WEF report...

On average, the 144 countries covered in the Report have closed 96% of the gap in health outcomes between women and men, unchanged since last year, and more than 95% of the gap in educational attainment, a slight decrease compared to last year. However, the gaps between women and men on economic participation and political empowerment remain wide: only 58% of the economic participation gap has been closed—a second consecutive year of reversed progress and the lowest value measured by the Index since 2008—and about 23% of the political gap, unchanged since last year against a long-term trend of slow but steady improvement.

Then a quick look at what the "gaps" showing the seemingly concerning percentages actually are:

Economic Participation:
    Ratio: female labour force participation over male value
    Wage equality between women and men for similar work
    2016-17 Ratio: female estimated earned income over male value
    Ratio: female legislators, senior officials and managers over male value
    Ratio: female professional and technical workers over male value

Political Empowerment:
    Ratio: females with seats in parliament over male value
    Ratio: females at ministerial level over male value
    Ratio: number of years with a female head of state (last 50 years) over male value

Conclusion: It's about the pay gap and political representation, really. In the West at least, the reasons for the existence of these have been discussed at length.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    I am not trying to say that it is not happening in other places, I directly said that it is, but Feminists always go on about the gender pay gap in countries where it does not exist and fail to do anything about other countries

And I am raising awareness, I am saying that this is incorrect and saying that prehaps they should do something about those other countries where problems actually go on since I am all for actually equality, not the fake equality a rare amount of the left preach

As you say 'they should do something about those other countries.....since I am actually all for equality' - why are feminists blamed for lack of progression when those who believe that something should be done - such as yourself - should all technically be responsible for uplifting our world's disadvantaged women? If you're such a fantastic egalitarian, go and make a difference. Stop making a muppet out of yourself by trying to cause a fight about a non-issue on a day about equality and peace. Instead, go and donate to a charity supporting women's learning to help them close the pay gap in their home countries. Camfed is a fantastic example of this (and one of my favourites) but if you want a more general charity supporting women in all aspects of their lives you can also try donating to charities like White Ribbon Alliance or Global Fund for Women.

Pretty words mean nothing. Do not try and use the suffering and disadvantages of countless women in less developed countries to prop yourself and your half-baked argument up on a pedestal as some sort of egalitarian intellectual when you're not ready to make a difference yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slurredsquash)
    As you say 'they should do something about those other countries.....since I am actually all for equality' - why are feminists blamed for lack of progression when those who believe that something should be done - such as yourself - should all technically be responsible for uplifting our world's disadvantaged women? If you're such a fantastic egalitarian, go and make a difference. Stop making a muppet out of yourself by trying to cause a fight about a non-issue on a day about equality and peace. Instead, go and donate to a charity supporting women's learning to help them close the pay gap in their home countries. Camfed is a fantastic example of this (and one of my favourites) but if you want a more general charity supporting women in all aspects of their lives you can also try donating to charities like White Ribbon Alliance or Global Fund for Women.

Pretty words mean nothing. Do not try and use the suffering and disadvantages of countless women in less developed countries to prop yourself and your half-baked argument up on a pedestal as some sort of egalitarian intellectual when you're not ready to make a difference yourself.
    most Feminists can be easily blamed because they are working so hard for such trivialities such as micoagressions and fighting against things that do not exist instead of fighting for the actual problems in the world.

I am supporting womens rights, I am telling people that they should stop focusing on these lies and actually start dealing with the proper problems, you saying that it is a non issue a totally a joke, the fact that so much manpower is spent on lies in the west is a big problem.

I already support plenty of charities and I am directly responsible for a decently large campaign in one of my old schools, although it is not directly for womens issues it deals with more general issues that often can relate to women, I have also directly donated to such issues even with my limited amount of money. I am not using these peoples suffering to try and make myself look better I quite frankly do not care what you think of me, their suffering is the WHOLE argument their suffering is the whole reason why we have this day.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by slurredsquash)
    Camfed is a fantastic example of this (and one of my favourites) but if you want a more general charity supporting women in all aspects of their lives you can also try donating to charities like White Ribbon Alliance or Global Fund for Women.
    https://www.marysmeals.org.uk/ is another charity well worth supporting (provides school based meals to incentivise children spending longer in education)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Just because none of the members wanted to celebrate with me doesn't mean I wasn't celebrating - I can't help it if you didn't want to join in then.
    That thread your definition of celebrating an event is it? be honest with yourself. Now compare that one thread of yours to this one. A hashtag on twitter, five or six other threads encouraging people to discuss the topic and fight for women's issues...the importance of women's issues and statistics to support their victim status etc...and a good number of moderators chiming in on the topic. This thread is celebrating an event not yours...that one and only example you could find from hundreds if not thousands of threads moderators have started on this forum about women's issues. You people seriously live in a world of denial. Its the only way you can justify your biases.

(Original post by PQ)
    Just because none of the members wanted to celebrate with me doesn't mean I wasn't celebrating
    So you are telling me that none of the moderators wanted to celebrate that event since none of them contributed to it....Thank you for proving my point.

ReputationRep:
    Happy International Women's day to all women and girls on TSR!

Inequality is an illogical, self-destructive and just generally nonsensical thing that needs to be solved, whether its inequality in Gender, Race, Mentality or Sexuality, it needs to be stopped. Feel good about yourself, who you are and who you want to be! Happy International Women's Day!

ReputationRep:
    More like national feminist's day here in the UK
    That's a lot of police resources to be used now to make sure that feminists here in the UK don't go too crazy on this day

ReputationRep:
    Any other young women looking to go into the computer science field?
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    well this turned into a shitstorm lol

everyone should chill and do what my crazy art teacher used to do and blast the spice girls all day in the art department on such an occasion

ReputationRep:
    Happy International Womens Day!

(tbh most women are far better than men are)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    well this turned into a shitstorm lol

everyone should chill and do what my crazy art teacher used to do and blast the spice girls all day in the art department on such an occasion
    Still love your hamsters, eh?
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheYearNiner)
    Still love your hamsters, eh?
    Guinea pigs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Guinea pigs
    You never fail to make me happy:hugs:
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheYearNiner)
    You never fail to make me happy:hugs:
    naww :hugs:🐹

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Yes and the world is flat and US politicians are reptiles, etc etc. This is off-topic. If you're concerned that celebrating International Women's Day is sexist or a serious threat to the continued existence of males everywhere, I invite you to pop a note into AtCT or on Reddit or 4chan. Further posts of this nature within this thread will be removed.
    As a regular reddit user im saddened you put us and the 4chan lot in the same sentence
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by merlynwoodman)
    As a regular reddit user im saddened you put us and the 4chan lot in the same sentence
    Don't worry, the majority of you are lovely!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.