Turn on thread page Beta

I remember maybe not so long ago maybe 5 years or so, people would tend to not want to have labels. People would claim that they are who they are and labels were not necessary and didn’t define them. Nowadays I feel like this has changed entirely. Rather than neglecting labels a vast majority of people embrace there labels and want to label themselves. Why has things shifted so much. People claimed they didn’t want labels and now there is a label for everything.

ReputationRep:
    Self identity and expression has become important because a lot of people now feel comfortable to be themselves in society. Societies become a little more excepting, people have decided to take on their own labels.
    The problem before wasn't the Labels themselves, but the fact that they were almost pushed onto people, now we have the freedom to take control of these labels and "change" them to how we want them.

ReputationRep:
    Some people find comfort and community in labels, and feel empowered by being proud of their label.

Others don’t want their “label” to be the first thing or the most important thing people see about them.

I think it depends on whether you consider your label part of your identity or just a small part of you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I remember maybe not so long ago maybe 5 years or so, people would tend to not want to have labels. People would claim that they are who they are and labels were not necessary and didn’t define them. Nowadays I feel like this has changed entirely. Rather than neglecting labels a vast majority of people embrace there labels and want to label themselves. Why has things shifted so much. People claimed they didn’t want labels and now there is a label for everything.
    I'm not into labels but I do tend to wear tog24 stuff just because it's not too expensive and the quality is ok.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    As far as I know, there has always been a huge focus on labels. Whether it's social group, sexuality, ethnicity, mental health, I've always noticed that people label both themselves and others. But some don't like labels and I think that's cool, especially when it comes to things like sexuality, as it shouldn't ever matter!

However, as cat_mac said it can be really helpful for people to come to terms with themselves by identifying with a label, as it helps them to find their community. With mental health I find having a label can be helpful for some people to get the help they need.

I'm happy to let people label or not label themselves as long as it's not hurting others. Don't think we should ever force a label on someone else though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I don't think it's changed in recent years, just that the current focus has changed - there has always been people who care about labels, and people who don't; I can't see that changing any time soon. I would say it's important to allow for both sides of the spectrum too, as people can draw comfort from both, and may feel strongly for either side.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.