Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently going through a divorce that should be finalised by the time my son starts University in 2018, but need to know info now in case he doesn’t get full loan & I’m responsible for topping up this, for my divorce maintenance claim.

My ex is claiming he is required to top up the loan as he is the higher earner, which I don’t think is correct.

First part of question, which household is assessed? My son’s main residence is with me, but I am financially dependent on my ex through his maintenance payments as I am unable to work. I would say my son is financially dependent on me, is this correct and so it’s my household income that is important?

Assuming it is my household income that is assessed to calculate my son’s loan amounts, are maintenance payments from my ex counted in household income?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ceecee9)
    Currently going through a divorce that should be finalised by the time my son starts University in 2018, but need to know info now in case he doesn’t get full loan & I’m responsible for topping up this, for my divorce maintenance claim.

My ex is claiming he is required to top up the loan as he is the higher earner, which I don’t think is correct.

First part of question, which household is assessed? My son’s main residence is with me, but I am financially dependent on my ex through his maintenance payments as I am unable to work. I would say my son is financially dependent on me, is this correct and so it’s my household income that is important?

Assuming it is my household income that is assessed to calculate my son’s loan amounts, are maintenance payments from my ex counted in household income?
    Hi Ceecee9,

If your son is mostly resident with you, it would be your household income that would be assessed. If they are child maintenance payments for your son, we won't include the maintenance payments as part of your household income.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.