Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by twowallflowers)
    I'm currently in my sixth form at a private school. The leaver's ball is a massive event for students leaving the school, held at the grand ballroom of some fancy country club or hotel. It's a white tie event and there's just so much pressure to dress up formally in your best outfits that I'm so nervous that I won't look good, months away from the event!

Many of my seniors from previous years spent thousands of pounds on full evening dresses and jewelry for their ball. My friends are already talking of how extravagant their arrival is going to be and the many thousands they are going to spend on footwear and clothes!My parents aren't too keen on it and told me that if I wanted to go, I'd have to bear most of the cost. I've been doing a part-time job for 2 years now and have some money of my own to purchase an outfit but I fear I just won't live up to the unofficial 'standards' of high fashion the school has. I don't want to hire a second-hand used outfit, it's just not my cup of tea.

I've been alternating between going and not going for a while now. I feel like I'll be vastly inferior to the rest of them unless I spend similarly huge amounts money, but I don't have quite enough! It's been giving me a right headache. Not to mention no date, although that's not a requirement. On the other hand I do want to see my friends for the last time before we part ways and the leaver's ball is the best way of doing something fun before we leave. I don't want to feel like the odd one out, and I know I will if I don't go. What should I do?
    What about buying a second hand dress from depop or ebay etc? Or a vintage dress. I bought a really unique vintage dress for a ball from asos marketplace for about £25. No one else had anything like it and I got loads of compliments.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.