Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Can I self-study A Level biology and chemistry ? Is there a biology or chemistry paper that does not require the candidates to take the practical papers?
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    In the UK at least, there are no required practical papers. There is a separate science endorsement which involves practical work, but this is not required nor does it form part of the grade when taken. However, many universities do require the science endorsement, which can be difficult and/or expensive to arrange for external candidates.

    I would suggest contacting the universities you may be interested in applying to and checking if they require the science endorsement for the course(s) you intend to apply to, in order to ensure you don't find yourself applying and being rejected on that technicality.

    Yes you can self teach.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.