Turn on thread page Beta

Money leftover after bills and rent watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently looking for a new place to live and trying to work out my budget for rent. I’m working full time now with an ok salary (just under £1500 after tax) and going to be a mature student in September. I’ll get the max loan as I’m independent from parents for the right amount of time etc and will be working a couple of shifts a week to make sure my monthly income inc student loan will be similar to what it is now (will be working full time from June - September each year)

My monthly outgoings excluding house bills (water/electric/has/council tax etc) are around £480. This includes food, petrol, car finance, phone bill, pet insurance (I have a dog), dog food, that sort of thing. It’s higher than s lot of people my age (24) due to the car and dog, I often think how much money I’d have if it wasn’t for that but then think how dull life would be - it’s definitely worth it!

So I’m thinking £500 inc bills would be my rent budget. Which means I’d have around £500 left per month max. Is this enough? I have a big overdraft to pay off, fees are £20 a month so I do want to pay it off ASAP but not too stressed about it. I was very worried about saving money but I’ve now decided to concentrate my uni time on paying off overdraft/credit card and when that’s done I can start saving.

I’m not a big drinker so don’t spend heaps of money on that. Buy clothes occasionally but no max shopping sprees.

Do you think £500 (probably slightly less) leftover is enough? How much do you have leftover each month?

ReputationRep:
    Thats a good monthly saving imo
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.