Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I’m currently looking for a new place to live and trying to work out my budget for rent. I’m working full time now with an ok salary (just under £1500 after tax) and going to be a mature student in September. I’ll get the max loan as I’m independent from parents for the right amount of time etc and will be working a couple of shifts a week to make sure my monthly income inc student loan will be similar to what it is now (will be working full time from June - September each year)

My monthly outgoings excluding house bills (water/electric/has/council tax etc) are around £480. This includes food, petrol, car finance, phone bill, pet insurance (I have a dog), dog food, that sort of thing. It’s higher than s lot of people my age (24) due to the car and dog, I often think how much money I’d have if it wasn’t for that but then think how dull life would be - it’s definitely worth it!

So I’m thinking £500 inc bills would be my rent budget. Which means I’d have around £500 left per month max. Is this enough? I have a big overdraft to pay off, fees are £20 a month so I do want to pay it off ASAP but not too stressed about it. I was very worried about saving money but I’ve now decided to concentrate my uni time on paying off overdraft/credit card and when that’s done I can start saving.

I’m not a big drinker so don’t spend heaps of money on that. Buy clothes occasionally but no max shopping sprees.

Do you think £500 (probably slightly less) leftover is enough? How much do you have leftover each month?

Thats a good monthly saving imo
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.