Turn on thread page Beta

Hey guys!
    well the title says it. I feel rly insecure about everything, my looks (well mostly my big nose), the way I walk (had friends say my walking is funny and that I look rly scared when I walk alone), and idk everything about myself.
    When I'm alone walking in the corridors I hear someone laughing I always think it's about me. When I'm late to class and walk in I feel like everyone is looking at me and any laugh I hear I think it's about me. When I walk I keep on turning around and I keep on losing balance and feeling so hot of embarrassment like everyone is looking at me. I can't even eat infront of people! Like even infront of friends I feel shy to eat properly like all of them are finished and I still just started eating. I avoid staying in the canteen and try to find a place where no one sees me to eat sometimes or sometimes I just forget about it. however I do feel much better when I'm with friends. Like still when people I'm not rly used to come up to our group and talk to us I'm still quiet but I feel better. but Idk I want to overcome this so badly especially because I want to be a lawyer and a lawyer needs to be , u k have a strong personality not shy and speak up.
    I asked my friend and she told me she used to be the same and she overcame it but I doubt it cuz she is so popular and screams and laughs a lot infront of people rly loudly. I still asked her how she overcame it and she said idk it was just natural.
    guys plz any advice?
    Also sorry for the horrible writing.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Give it some time. Your personality is always changing.
    Going into uni I was very much like you and ended up hanging out with people that were the opposite of me, eventually their confidence rubbed off on me. As you get older you get a "LET´S GET **** DONE" mentality... Anything other than what you need to get done (either work or personal goals), becomes irrelevant.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey guys!
    well the title says it. I feel rly insecure about everything, my looks (well mostly my big nose), the way I walk (had friends say my walking is funny and that I look rly scared when I walk alone), and idk everything about myself.
    When I'm alone walking in the corridors I hear someone laughing I always think it's about me. When I'm late to class and walk in I feel like everyone is looking at me and any laugh I hear I think it's about me. When I walk I keep on turning around and I keep on losing balance and feeling so hot of embarrassment like everyone is looking at me. I can't even eat infront of people! Like even infront of friends I feel shy to eat properly like all of them are finished and I still just started eating. I avoid staying in the canteen and try to find a place where no one sees me to eat sometimes or sometimes I just forget about it. however I do feel much better when I'm with friends. Like still when people I'm not rly used to come up to our group and talk to us I'm still quiet but I feel better. but Idk I want to overcome this so badly especially because I want to be a lawyer and a lawyer needs to be , u k have a strong personality not shy and speak up.
    I asked my friend and she told me she used to be the same and she overcame it but I doubt it cuz she is so popular and screams and laughs a lot infront of people rly loudly. I still asked her how she overcame it and she said idk it was just natural.
    guys plz any advice?
    Also sorry for the horrible writing.
    Insecurities can be really difficult, because the more you think about them, the more you think about them! You're not alone in feeling like this, know that.

Something that helped me was realising that, to put it in the bluntest way, nobody cares that much. They're all thinking about themselves, whether it's insecure thoughts or not, they aren't noticing the things about you that you think they are! And when your friends have mentioned things, they haven't meant it to be such a big deal and probably didn't realise you would hold onto it. As your friends, they may have noticed but probably thought it was just a little quirk about you, and it doesn't mean everybody's going to think that, because who notices random people's walks?

There are lots of ways you can try to get over your insecurities. Maybe have a look into some of the thought patterns taught in CBT, which is a therapy that aims to make you notice your negative thought patterns and realise that they're irrational or false or that you're focusing on negativity rather than the positive things that are there, etc.

Doing things that take you out of your Headspace can also be really helpful, especially things that boost self esteem like group sports, volunteering, joining a club, or starting up a new hobby (music, art, writing, anything you like). Even though they can be scary to begin with, they really do help you to focus on what you can do rather than what you're worried about.

You could also talk more to your friends and family about it, and just let them know that you don't like them pointing out things that they do notice, or just ask for their support in general. Spend more time with your friends if they make you feel good!!! Even see a doctor or wellbeing service at school if you feel it's getting you down.

Your friend sounds like she has a "fake it 'til you make it" perspective. Some of the loudest, funniest people I know have been the most insecure, and it's because they don't want anyone to know how they feel so they've covered it up by having huge (maybe fake) personalities. But that can be an okay way to deal with it, it leads to fun times, as long as you're not neglecting your feelings/mental health.

Also, I agree with rmutt that things definitely change! You have plenty of time to grow, learn, and change into who you want to be. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to be this confident, outgoing person right now. Also, people tend to be more mature and accepting of others as you move through college and into university. This won't be forever.

(Original post by rmutt)
    Give it some time. Your personality is always changing.
    Going into uni I was very much like you and ended up hanging out with people that were the opposite of me, eventually their confidence rubbed off on me. As you get older you get a "LET´S GET **** DONE" mentality... Anything other than what you need to get done (either work or personal goals), becomes irrelevant.
    Thanks

(Original post by SHUGURU)
    Insecurities can be really difficult, because the more you think about them, the more you think about them! You're not alone in feeling like this, know that.

Something that helped me was realising that, to put it in the bluntest way, nobody cares that much. They're all thinking about themselves, whether it's insecure thoughts or not, they aren't noticing the things about you that you think they are! And when your friends have mentioned things, they haven't meant it to be such a big deal and probably didn't realise you would hold onto it. As your friends, they may have noticed but probably thought it was just a little quirk about you, and it doesn't mean everybody's going to think that, because who notices random people's walks?

There are lots of ways you can try to get over your insecurities. Maybe have a look into some of the thought patterns taught in CBT, which is a therapy that aims to make you notice your negative thought patterns and realise that they're irrational or false or that you're focusing on negativity rather than the positive things that are there, etc.

Doing things that take you out of your Headspace can also be really helpful, especially things that boost self esteem like group sports, volunteering, joining a club, or starting up a new hobby (music, art, writing, anything you like). Even though they can be scary to begin with, they really do help you to focus on what you can do rather than what you're worried about.

You could also talk more to your friends and family about it, and just let them know that you don't like them pointing out things that they do notice, or just ask for their support in general. Spend more time with your friends if they make you feel good!!! Even see a doctor or wellbeing service at school if you feel it's getting you down.

Your friend sounds like she has a "fake it 'til you make it" perspective. Some of the loudest, funniest people I know have been the most insecure, and it's because they don't want anyone to know how they feel so they've covered it up by having huge (maybe fake) personalities. But that can be an okay way to deal with it, it leads to fun times, as long as you're not neglecting your feelings/mental health.

Also, I agree with rmutt that things definitely change! You have plenty of time to grow, learn, and change into who you want to be. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to be this confident, outgoing person right now. Also, people tend to be more mature and accepting of others as you move through college and into university. This won't be forever.
    Thank u I'll try and do the stuff u adviced

ReputationRep:
    I was really insecure and shy when I was younger. I still have a lot of insecurities and still they make me feel down sometimes, but unlike what it was in school, they don't stop me from doing what I want.

Try looking at yourself more realistically. Find good stuff about your appearance and focus on them.

I have a male voice... I sound like a 13 year old. I was so ashamed of it I was barely speaking at school... but now with friends I sometimes can't shut up.

You feel better around friends, that's great, you are not a loner, that's great. You can talk more, being more around people. maybe even go with a few friends to eat somewhere. or invite them to a dinner or something at your place.
    Step by step work on your insecurities and be more possitive/realistic about them.

I was seeing myself as ugly most of my life. I look at my pictures now and I see something else, like I was seeing I had a huge nose, now I see it normal. I pay more attention to my eyes. You are noticing many things others don't and pay attention to negative things they might even not notice at all.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.