Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I wasn't really sure in which thread to post this so I apologise if it's in the wrong thread.

So I am in year 12 and doing my A-levels currently. As I'm starting to think about universities and which course(s) I should be applying for next year, I narrowed it down to nursing or midwifery. However, I've also thought about studying abroad, such as the US. Are there any American universities that would accept UK students as our curriculum is very different compared to that in the US. Also, can I get straight into a midwifery course (do I need to take any further examination etc.?) and is the degree from the US recognised by the professional bodies here in the UK? Or is the degree in the UK recognised by the US? As another option for me is to do my degree in the UK and then move to the US.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You need to do the U.S. tests to get into a uni over there. Also be aware of how expensive it is. I suggest doing some research to help you know exactly what you need.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Charlotte's Web can you help?

ReputationRep:
    Midwifery, as far as I know, does not exist as a separate role in the US like it does in the UK, it is a nursing speciality known as "labour and delivery". I don't know about getting accepted as an undergrad onto US nursing courses, but as a U.K. qualified nurse you'd need to me be over there (with all the visa and admin stuff required) and pass the NCLEX exam which, from what I've heard rather costly.

The RCN have some stuff on nursing overseas which may be of use, also, looking on a more US centric nursing site such as allnurses might be more useful for advice.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheMidwife)
    Hey guys, I wasn't really sure in which thread to post this so I apologise if it's in the wrong thread.

So I am in year 12 and doing my A-levels currently. As I'm starting to think about universities and which course(s) I should be applying for next year, I narrowed it down to nursing or midwifery. However, I've also thought about studying abroad, such as the US. Are there any American universities that would accept UK students as our curriculum is very different compared to that in the US. Also, can I get straight into a midwifery course (do I need to take any further examination etc.?) and is the degree from the US recognised by the professional bodies here in the UK? Or is the degree in the UK recognised by the US? As another option for me is to do my degree in the UK and then move to the US.
    Nursing is considered as a postgraduate course in the US, so you would need to attend college over there first, or complete an undergrad degree here, in order to be eligible.

If you study here, you will need to go through the process of passing the NCLEX and obtaining a visa which can be very costly and time consuming. If you study there, there is no automatic recognition of your qualifications and you would have to, again, undergo costly and time-consuming tests in order to practice.

The roles of nurses and midwives vary hugely by country. Nurses have very different responsibilities and tasks so it can be very hard transferring from one geographical area to another.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.