Turn on thread page Beta

Multiple unsuccessful job applications. What do I do? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently looking for a job but have been unsuccessful in finding one and all the ones I have applied to have rejected me or not responded back. I’m hoping to get a job in the UK for about £6 an hour or maybe more but does anyone know what I should do to be more successful in applying for jobs
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by CynicalFaith)
    I am currently looking for a job but have been unsuccessful in finding one and all the ones I have applied to have rejected me or not responded back. I’m hoping to get a job in the UK for about £6 an hour or maybe more but does anyone know what I should do to be more successful in applying for jobs
    Ask for feedback for a start. It sounds like you are struggling with looking good on papers (unless you are falling down at interview?) so maybe get some help from friends, family and teachers or even a job centre.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Perhaps your CV needs improving, that's the most important part of the process. Interview technique can be improved with practice but it may be worth getting your CV checked by a professional. There are several services online that offer a free CV check (I believe Reed does this).

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the places I apply to say there that they are unable to provide feedback or do not reply back to this email, so I don’t know how to reach the companies. I apply for the job and then normally send me an email about how I was unsuccessful. It could possibly to do with my cv or answers to questions so any tips on that?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    A lot of the places I apply to say there that they are unable to provide feedback or do not reply back to this email, so I don’t know how to reach the companies. I apply for the job and then normally send me an email about how I was unsuccessful. It could possibly to do with my cv or answers to questions so any tips on that?
    It really depends on the job and whether you meet the person spec and can demonstrate that you have the skills/experience required to meet the job description. With answers use the STAR technique.

threeportdrift can you help?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    If you aren't getting to interview, then the problem is your CV/application. It has to be your CV because that's the only thing employers know about you. So what you then have to work out is whether it's that you don't have the basic skills required for the job, or because your CV isn't convincing employers that you do have the skills for the job. For entry level jobs, it's nearly always the second option, your CV isn't convincing, but it can be difficult to put yourself in the mind of the employer and understand how to make the best of your skills and make your CV competitive.

There's a CV Help forum on TSR, start a thread in there and upload your CV as a word doc, and someone will be along to help. It's a private forum, so it will look empty, and only you and the CV helpers and mods can see your thread even exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    If you aren't getting to interview, then the problem is your CV/application. It has to be your CV because that's the only thing employers know about you. So what you then have to work out is whether it's that you don't have the basic skills required for the job, or because your CV isn't convincing employers that you do have the skills for the job. For entry level jobs, it's nearly always the second option, your CV isn't convincing, but it can be difficult to put yourself in the mind of the employer and understand how to make the best of your skills and make your CV competitive.

There's a CV Help forum on TSR, start a thread in there and upload your CV as a word doc, and someone will be along to help. It's a private forum, so it will look empty, and only you and the CV helpers and mods can see your thread even exists.
    Thanks for the help I’m gonna look over my CV again and upload it to the cv forum for help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.