Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! I received an offer for the MSc Computer Science conversion course at UCL a few days ago and thought I'd get a thread started for current/potential offer holders.

Also, if anyone is on/has done the course before, any advice, tips or feedback is more than welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razzamataz179)
    Hey all! I received an offer for the MSc Computer Science conversion course at UCL a few days ago and thought I'd get a thread started for current/potential offer holders.

Also, if anyone is on/has done the course before, any advice, tips or feedback is more than welcome!
    I haven't but I've moderated on a similar course at QUB. What was your undergrad degree, and what is your current experience with CS/tech?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    I haven't but I've moderated on a similar course at QUB. What was your undergrad degree, and what is your current experience with CS/tech?
    Engineering, all my CS knowledge was self-taught over the summer, mainly python and some ML stuff

ReputationRep:
    Engineering, all my CS knowledge was self-taught over the summer, mainly python and some ML stuff
    You'll be fine then to be honest. The people I've seen struggle have a) had no coding experience at all b) come from a non-STEM background (e.g. their undergrad was in law or politics).

How have you found ML? It would for sure be a great dissetation project for your masters and it's never too early to have a think about it.

ReputationRep:
    ahh I'm still waiting ! congrats to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    You'll be fine then to be honest. The people I've seen struggle have a) had no coding experience at all b) come from a non-STEM background (e.g. their undergrad was in law or politics).

How have you found ML? It would for sure be a great dissetation project for your masters and it's never too early to have a think about it.
    I love ML, and yeah I was actually thinking about doing my dissertation on it yesterday funnily enough. Would be pretty cool, and would teach me a lot about a field that's highly employable rn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorion)
    ahh I'm still waiting ! congrats to you
    Good luck!! When did you apply? What undergrad do you study if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! I am still waiting and I applied one month ago. How long does it usually take for them to make a decision? 6 weeks?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uvfd)
    Congrats! I am still waiting and I applied one month ago. How long does it usually take for them to make a decision? 6 weeks?
    Strange, have you heard anything at all from them? My application with references was sent off 16th feb, received the offer 6th march

ReputationRep:
    Nothing except the email that tells me they can’t be precise about the time they reach a decision...

ReputationRep:
    My undergraduate is Engineering too and I got upper 2:1 in my Year 2. Also self-taught ML and python but I did not hand in the code they require since I got programming modules in my undergrad...Have you handed the code?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uvfd)
    My undergraduate is Engineering too and I got upper 2:1 in my Year 2. Also self-taught ML and python but I did not hand in the code they require since I got programming modules in my undergrad...Have you handed the code?
    Nah, I didn't hand in any code. Did you do an explicit programming module, or was it a module where you just had to code a little?

ReputationRep:
    It’s called ‘programming for engineering’ and it’s actually basic MATlab coding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uvfd)
    It’s called ‘programming for engineering’ and it’s actually basic MATlab coding.
    I didn't submit any code. I did say I was self taught, and did MATLAB on my course tho in my personal statement

ReputationRep:
    I didn't submit any code. I did say I was self taught, and did MATLAB on my course tho in my personal statement
    OK, I guess I’ll just keep waiting btw I am an international student from China but 2 years undergrad in the UK

ReputationRep:
    snip snip

ReputationRep:
    Just filling in my application now...

For those currently working does anyone know if they contacted your current employer?

Not sure if I should use my current manager as a professional reference or someone from before, I haven't spoken to my work about my plans to do the MSc yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by throwaway1738)
    Just filling in my application now...

For those currently working does anyone know if they contacted your current employer?

Not sure if I should use my current manager as a professional reference or someone from before, I haven't spoken to my work about my plans to do the MSc yet...
    Whoever you submit as a reference, they'll e-mail them for said reference. That's about as much contact as they do I think

(Original post by Iamtidal)
    snip snip
    ?!

ReputationRep:
    the admissions team are taking their sweet time...

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone recieved any replies?

It's been 13 weeks for me now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 7, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.