Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Getting married and how my finance will change watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently on my first year of study and am an independent student and a lone parent who receives a maintenance loan and childcare grant.

If my partner (who doesn't live with me) and I decided to get married in Oct 2018, would this affect my entitlement to student finance for the 18-19 academic year? Eg would you take his income into account to calculate my entitlement for 2018-2019 or would his income not be included in my assessment for this year as we got married after Sept 1st?

Also, what would happen if we got married on Oct 1st but decided it made more sense to continue living separately until I graduate, would his income be taken into account then?

I've been given conflicting advice on this topic and it's quite frustrating that despite us wanting to get married, it seems that the amount of student finance and tax credits I would lose (13,000 approx from my calculations) means it would be a very silly and costly thing to do.

Please advise
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by gl88)
    Hi,

I am currently on my first year of study and am an independent student and a lone parent who receives a maintenance loan and childcare grant.

If my partner (who doesn't live with me) and I decided to get married in Oct 2018, would this affect my entitlement to student finance for the 18-19 academic year? Eg would you take his income into account to calculate my entitlement for 2018-2019 or would his income not be included in my assessment for this year as we got married after Sept 1st?

Also, what would happen if we got married on Oct 1st but decided it made more sense to continue living separately until I graduate, would his income be taken into account then?

I've been given conflicting advice on this topic and it's quite frustrating that despite us wanting to get married, it seems that the amount of student finance and tax credits I would lose (13,000 approx from my calculations) means it would be a very silly and costly thing to do.

Please advise
    Hi gl88,

If your marital status changes during the academic year and you are in receipt of Grants for Dependants then you are required to inform us of the change, to allow us to reassess your claim.

You will need to send in evidence of your new status before a reassessment can occur. If you send a cover letter , with your name and customer reference number and a clear copy of your marriage certificate and your partner's completed the PFF2 form, with his income details.

Once this evidence is received we will calculate your new entitlement on a pro-rata basis.

If you are married, you will need to provide the details of your partners income, regardless of the living arrangements.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this contradicts what I was told yesterday from SFE on Facebook when I asked this same question. I have copied and pasted the response below

"If you get married or move in together after the start of the academic year, we won't take your partners details into consideration till the following academic year"

Also, I am currently in receipt of a maintenance loan, parent's learning allowance and childcare grant. Can you confirm which of these would are "grants for dependants"?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by gl88)
    Hi, this contradicts what I was told yesterday from SFE on Facebook when I asked this same question. I have copied and pasted the response below

"If you get married or move in together after the start of the academic year, we won't take your partners details into consideration till the following academic year"

Also, I am currently in receipt of a maintenance loan, parent's learning allowance and childcare grant. Can you confirm which of these would are "grants for dependants"?

Hi GL88,

Students without Grants for Dependents may not need to inform us of any changes until the next Academic Year.

If your marital status changes from Single to married / partner - if the student / sponsor marries or moves in with their spouse / partner during the academic year we won't require their spouse / partners income details until the following academic year.
    If however, the customers marital status changes during the academic year and they are in receipt of Grants for Dependents then they are required to inform us of the change, either way, to allow us to reassess their claim.
    Students without Grants for Dependents may not need to inform us of any changes until the next Academic Year.Grants for Dependents would include Parents Learning Allowance and Childcare.Thanks Rona

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.